Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Small (Q4) vs Medium (L) SUV Storage Space

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Small (Q4) vs Medium (L) SUV Storage Space

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2023, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Question Hertz Small (Q4) vs Medium (L) SUV Storage Space

I'm trying to decide whether it's worthwhile to upgrade from a small (Q4) SUV to a medium (L) SUV for a Hertz rental. I'm mostly concerned about maximizing trunk/cargo space. Both options say room for 4 bags, but what's interesting is when I check their example models (Nissan Rogue for small, Chevy Equinox for medium) the Rogue actually reports having more cargo space. So I guess I'm wondering if there's any point to upgrading to medium SUV (granted, I know they are just example models)?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage / Hertz Five Star
If you need more storage space, it's best to choose a L. L class is typically Chevy Equinox, Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, Hyundai Santa Fe, etx - 5 passengers with more space in the back.

Q4 is a bit more of a gamble since you can literally get all kinds of stuff in that category. Nissan Rogues have only gotten smaller as they've gotten newer but you also have stuff like Ford Escape, Hyundai Tuscon, Kia Sportage, Toyota Rav4. Plus you can also get a B4 if you book a Q4 (Ford EcoSport, Buick Encore, Chevy Trax, etc) which are pretty small. If luggage space is paramount, go the safe route and book the larger vehicle. It's usually not that much more between Q4 and L.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by refreshingcoke
Chevy Trax,
I willingly took a Chevy Trax from the Ultimate Choice area at SLC 2 years ago (pickings were slim), and it was by far one of my worst car rental decisions ever. For just driving around town, it probably would have been ok... But I went up to Bear Lake, with some mountain climbs, and the vehicle did not handle well at all.

At least from a space perspective, it was just me (my cousin drove up separately in a full van), and I was ok. But it would definitely be tight, if not impossible, with more than 2 people and luggage.

When I returned to SLC about a month later, I kind of made up for that blunder. I grabbed a Mustang Convertible from UC, and it did not disappoint (again just me, as baggage would be tight for more than 2).
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.