Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full size VS Premium

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Full size VS Premium

Hi, I will rent a car for a trip in Cailifornia in 2 weeks and currently have a booking of Full size. The Premium is only $20 more and I am tempted to upgrade. But according to the wiki page Volkswagen CC and Volvo S60 are also within this group which have very small trunk. Are these still in the fleet and are they common? I will rent at Burlingame CA.

How much would it cost if I upgrade upon pick-up? Higher or similar to what I see online now?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by ywlgy
Hi, I will rent a car for a trip in Cailifornia in 2 weeks and currently have a booking of Full size. The Premium is only $20 more and I am tempted to upgrade. But according to the wiki page Volkswagen CC and Volvo S60 are also within this group which have very small trunk. Are these still in the fleet and are they common? I will rent at Burlingame CA.

How much would it cost if I upgrade upon pick-up? Higher or similar to what I see online now?
Fullsize is typically a Camry, Altima, or Malibu, Premium is typically an Impala. Essentially zero chance of a VW CC or Volvo S60.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:49 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Fullsize is typically a Camry, Altima, or Malibu, Premium is typically an Impala. Essentially zero chance of a VW CC or Volvo S60.
And, if by some miracle you get a CC or S60, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give you a Camry, Altima, Malibu instead.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. I will upgrade to Premium and hope the trunk can fit my luggage.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:24 pm

Thank you for the info. I will upgrade to Premium and hope the trunk can fit my luggage.
The Impala's trunk is vast (bigger than an S-class MB or 7-series BMW). Unless you're traveling with "late 19th Century European Monarch" level of luggage, you'll be fine.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

The Impala's trunk is vast (bigger than an S-class MB or 7-series BMW). Unless you're traveling with "late 19th Century European Monarch" level of luggage, you'll be fine.
LOL. We have 4 people
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Havent seen many Impala in Premium class. Mostly Maxima and 300, in my experience. Still good cars.
m907 and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by jim32190

Havent seen many Impala in Premium class. Mostly Maxima and 300, in my experience. Still good cars.
300 is Luxury, not Premium. Do see some Maxima's, seems to vary a lot.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I almost guarantee you will end in a Maxima.

It really sounds like you need something bigger and you're setting yourself up for an upset. I doubt any premium size car will be able to fit 4 (presumably large) suitcases and 4 adults. Try a Standard Elite SUV
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redwood839
I almost guarantee you will end in a Maxima.

It really sounds like you need something bigger and you're setting yourself up for an upset. I doubt any premium size car will be able to fit 4 (presumably large) suitcases and 4 adults. Try a Standard Elite SUV
We have 1 large and 2 small suitcases so all these cars should be able to fit. Provided that it has enough trunk space I want to have a car with better interior and driving experience. SUV is sold out in this branch.

What car would I most likely get if i stick to Full size? And how does that compare to a Maxima.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
We have 1 large and 2 small suitcases so all these cars should be able to fit. Provided that it has enough trunk space I want to have a car with better interior and driving experience. SUV is sold out in this branch.

What car would I most likely get if i stick to Full size? And how does that compare to a Maxima.
Malibu or Fusion, something along those lines.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:35 pm

I've gotten a lot of Kia Optimas in FL. They are pretty roomy.
I don't think Maxima stands out as much in terms of size over full sizes as it does in performance. FWIW I've also gotten a Buick Regal for a premium car.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
300 is Luxury, not Premium. Do see some Maxima's, seems to vary a lot.
I thought a regular 300 is Premium while a 300C is Luxury...
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Depending on the location, its inventory, how busy it is and your negotiation skills, it is sometime possible to convert a Premium reservation into a Luxury car. Much less likely with a Full Size reservation.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by jim32190

I thought a regular 300 is Premium while a 300C is Luxury...
I believe they're all categorized as luxury. Never seen one otherwise noted.
jim32190 and Ummmwhat like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.