Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

NYC rental -can I return to any city locations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
LaGuardia Airport Travel Advisory – Effective August 2016

LaGuardia Airport is undergoing construction and travelers can expect delays. Please allow more time for picking up and returning your car.

Terminal B customers: Our shuttle buses are currently picking up and dropping off customers on the outer roadway of the Terminal B departure level. Terminal B services Air Canada, American, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit, United and Virgin America Airlines.

Returning customers: Hertz is located at Marine Air Terminal/82 St., which can be accessed by taking Exit 5 off the Grand Central Parkway.

For customers who would like to return their vehicle at another location, drop fees have been waived at the following Hertz locations:

- John F. Kennedy International Airport
- Newark Liberty International Airport
- Westchester County Airport
- Long Island MacArthur Airport

For travel and construction updates, please visit LaGuardiaAirport.com.

Please note Debit Cards are no longer accepted at the start of the rental unless you are renting using a Gold Plus Rewards card or it is an Insurance Replacement rental.

Please refer to Form of Payment in the Rental Qualifications & Requirements for complete information.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

I've searched in the forum not have not found a thread - for NYC rentals, if we pick up the car in LGA, can we return it to any locations in Manhattan?

Saw it somewhere else that someone returned the rental to a Brookly location after an airport pickup and vice versa. Is this the norm or? Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by obaing11
I've searched in the forum not have not found a thread - for NYC rentals, if we pick up the car in LGA, can we return it to any locations in Manhattan?

Saw it somewhere else that someone returned the rental to a Brookly location after an airport pickup and vice versa. Is this the norm or? Thanks.
Why not just price the rental with a return to a non-airport location, and see what rate is quoted?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Why not just price the rental with a return to a non-airport location, and see what rate is quoted?
Tried it online, to no avail. In fact the website automatically switches to the same location, whether it be airport or a local address.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Tried it online, to no avail. In fact the website automatically switches to the same location, whether it be airport or a local address.
Just tested it by using JFK as pick up and then New York as the return ( seleted New York City - 17 locations )

Checking for a 1 day rental, the standard rate seemed to have no drop fee nor be higher whether returned to airport or to a city location

If having no joy with the website, perhaps phone Hertz and book ; should be able to get the agent to quote it
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just tested it by using JFK as pick up and then New York as the return ( seleted New York City - 17 locations )

Checking for a 1 day rental, the standard rate seemed to have no drop fee nor be higher whether returned to airport or to a city location

If having no joy with the website, perhaps phone Hertz and book ; should be able to get the agent to quote it
Very interesting as I've tried(unsuccessfully) to do just that. Red box error message says "Return Location - This pick-up location (JFK or LGA) does not allow vehicles to be dropped at the location (one of the 17 city locations) specified. Please adjust your return. [DE39] Click here to view nearby locations."

Also called them and did not get the affirmative answer. So unless you want to take your chances.

Last edited by obaing11; Dec 23, 2015 at 6:42 pm
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Very interesting as I've tried(unsuccessfully) to do just that. Red box error message says "Return Location - This pick-up location (JFK or LGA) does not allow vehicles to be dropped at the location (one of the 17 city locations) specified. Please adjust your return. [DE39] Click here to view nearby locations."

Also called them and did not get the affirmative answer. So unless you want to take your chances.
It would help if you provided pick-up and return dates. I'm sure that there are some dates when Hertz won't permit an airport pick-up and a Manhattan drop-off.

You can try pricing a one-way, LGA-Manhattan rental with OTAs like orbitz.com. Even if Hertz is unavailable, some other company should be.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:24 pm

Location: Base: EWR/LGA/JFK. 2016: BOM, DEL, HYD, BKK, SIN, HKG, ICN, NRT, LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, BNA, IAH, MIA, MDE, BOG, CHO, IAD, LHR, LCY, FRA, ZRH, LIN, MXP
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Ritz Lifetime Platinum Premier, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Depends on your CDP, but it's intercity Rate. I use a Fortune 500 CDP and if I drop anywhere within Manhattan or the three airports, I'll get a $5 inter-city fee added to my taxes if my drop is different from my pick up even if I make the res to and from the same location and decide without telling anyone to drop elsewhere.

Hertz NYC is having a huge inventory planning problem and barely gets cars in time to fulfill reservations. They are trying to avoid a stockpile a 55th street when 34th expected 20 returns and only got 15 to service 7am reservations the next day.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not attempt to pick a car up at the airport and expect to be able to drop it off at a HLE/city location unless that's the way the reservation was made.

At one point, it was (unofficial?) policy that a rental at any HLE in the city could be returned to any other HLE in the city, irrespective of what was on the reservation or rental agreement. This would come in handy if doing a "one-way" award reservation, you could do it at the cheaper round-trip price, or if you wanted to return a vehicle when it was after hours where you picked it up.

When they were still doing the Kiosk rentals earlier this year, there was a system glitch that had my nearby location listed as two separate addresses/location codes. When I returned the car, the computer returned it to the second address, and I was charged a $10 inter city fee / service charge. The agent was unable to remove it, even after I spent 10 minutes convincing her and her supervisor that I picked the car up at the same location I was dropping it off at. It took an email to the Kiosk Operations Dispatcher to get it sorted out. This suggests that even if it's not in the contract, you can return to a different Manhattan location for $10 (though the $10 might have been a function of my CDP, not sure...). Of course Hertz in Manhattan has been going through so many changes over the last couple of years, who knows that the deal is?...
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:38 am
Suspended

You can book it that way, but Hertz only allows you to return the car to the larger HLE locations in Manhattan. It seems they don't want the small locations inundated with airport cars.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Just booked a LGA-Manhattan HLE reservation, and it includes a $5 dropoff fee. No other difference in the cost between that and the same reservation LGA-LGA.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I pick up and drop off at different locations fairly frequently. There seems to be a range of possibilities, from no fee to a $5 fee to a $10 fee to an occasional $15 fee (got that when dropping off at a different location on the day before Christmas Eve).

Tends to be cheaper to do HLE->Airport or vice versa. This is often free, probably depending on where they need cars. It's a nice way to save a taxi ride to the airport!

My understanding is that you do not necessarily need to prebook the different dropoff location. Any Hertz in the city will take the car, but you may get a higher fee? I've never tried it.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've only switched drop-off locations (for example, Layfayette Street to 55th Street) after calling Hertz and having them change the reservation in their system. I've never experienced a rate change using that method.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:14 pm

If you pay cash and dropoff location to LGA, usually no issue. If you use points, they will have a big issue. For alternate Manhattan locations, typically depends on how busy they are. If they are full with cars and your return would cause them to have to have extra staff on hand to move the car to a better location they may choose to charge you. If you have status and do it on a day where they are short on cars, they'll just mark it as an intercity return and you will not have any fee. Really depends on a number of factors, but to be safe, if you call ahead to Hertz and get it changed official, you will not run into any surprises.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:15 pm

I noticed that Hertz is now waiving the drop charge if you rent from LGA and return it to another airport in the greater NYC metropolitan area; see wikipost above.

Sadly, the drop charge is still in effect for one-ways into Manhattan.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:47 am

Looks like Hertz raised the drop fee to $50 for one-ways from LGA/JFK into Manhattan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.