Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (TxTag/K-Tag) for Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know if Hertz installs the TxTag toll-paying stickers on any of their cars in Texas? I know that in other parts of the country that their cars have the EZ-Pass fobs. Does Hertz at least equip them in their Austin or Houston locations even if they don't do it in non-toll areas like San Antonio?

The reason I ask is that I have heard stories of people getting $1 tolls plus $25-$30 "violation fee" service charges from the rental car companies. Many recently installed toll roads have few (if any) manual pay stations and operate almost entirely via electronic surveillance. At least in Texas the toll authority just mails the car owner the toll bill (no service charges unless you are like months late), and it is not a violation to not pay prior to entering the toll road (since there is no physical place to pay). In principle this is supposed to be easy and painless because it reduces the need for manual pay stations and the traffic congestion associated with those areas. Unfortunately it seems that the new toll situation is a big mess as far as rental car companies and their customers are concerned because the only way for the customer to pay is to wait for the authority to mail the $1 bill to the car rental company and then for the car rental company to assess the $30 violation on the customer.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:19 pm
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
All of our vehicles in Florida, Colorado and Texas are PlatePass® enabled. There is no need to sign up or reserve anything. If you would like to use the cashless toll lanes all you have to do is drive through. In this area, your rental car license plate acts as the transponder.
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/i...nited%20States
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist, IGH Rewards Club Spire, HHonors Diamond
Any Hertz cars in Texas with TxTag?

In the past 6 months I've had four Hertz rentals from the airport in Austin and three Hertz rentals from Hobby Airport in Houston. All the cars I got in Austin had the TxTag stickers and none of them from Houston Hobby have had the stickers. I don't know if the stickers are necessary since the toll bill is based on the license tag number, but the most recent Hertz car I got has Florida tags so I don't know what happens in that situation. I went almost halfway around the Houston outer beltway (the Sam Houston Tollway) with a car I rented in Austin one time and don't remember seeing anything added to my bill or anything showing up on my credit car later. I think I drove through 4 or 5 toll plazas in the fast lane at what should have been $1.50 each.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Just why can't there be a national service for this.

Hiring cars in OK and driving to KS, passing through 4 different toll zones.

No, if there was a system in which you could register and then tell these systems the license plate and times you hired the vehicle and it then charges after the fact. Would save a lot a trouble. Hmm, maybe there's a business there?

BM
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:15 pm

The problem is that each state uses a different electronic toll collection technology. Some states have chosen to join the EZPass consortium, but FL, for instance, insists their SunPass uses superior technology.

FYI, the rental car I just drove from Miami to New York did not have a PlatePass advisory sticker. Perhaps it was removed since they don't use PlatePass in NY. Likewise, in the fall when cars from NY are sent down to FL, do they take away the EZPass box prior to the rental?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:56 pm

I don't think they remove them. Even if NY tries to send cars to FL there is no guarantee that they will stay there. Most cars usually end up somewhere different within a month of arriving. Anyway, NY usually doesn't send cars to FL. FL dumps every spring. I'm sure there is some kind of financial incentive that makes it cheaper to add tons of fleet in FL just to one-way them out.

A rental car will only last about 12 months (Although a little longer now since cars are being kept to higher mileage). If a rental stays at HLE it will last about 8-9 months to reach 35,000 miles...if it spends the majority of it's life at airports then it will usually last about 12-15 months.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
The problem is that each state uses a different electronic toll collection technology. Some states have chosen to join the EZPass consortium, but FL, for instance, insists their SunPass uses superior technology.
I appreciate that, but ALL of the systems use cameras to catch offending cars that have not paid and do not have the local plate-pass system.

I was suggesting that as part of the process of recovering fines, they could check a database in which as frequent travellers could register the license plate of the cars they have been driving and pass the toll fees that way.

BM
Old Jul 3, 2009, 2:14 pm

"FL dumps every spring. I'm sure there is some kind of financial incentive that makes it cheaper to add tons of fleet in FL just to one-way them out."

Good point. I know FL has a different, typically lower tax structure. All the snowbirds I know have switched their vehicle registration to FL, even if they split their time here.

"A rental car will only last about 12 months (Although a little longer now since cars are being kept to higher mileage). If a rental stays at HLE it will last about 8-9 months to reach 35,000 miles...if it spends the majority of it's life at airports then it will usually last about 12-15 months."

Interesting. The Cobalt had 17,200 miles at MIA pickup, and 18,500 miles as expected at NY HLE dropoff. On the keychain, I noticed some faded writing that said something like, "original city: Volusia." I'm guessing the car originally came one-way from Volusia County.

The MIA garage did have two midsize cars parked nearby registered in NY and NJ that looked recently detailed. As I was taking my car out, an Impala registered in PA just came in from EWR. The driver told me she had to pay an exorbitant rate to do that out of season.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:20 pm

Platepass in Texas

I have an upcoming trip to Texas where I may need to use a tollway once or twice during a weeklong stay. I was thinking of getting my own TxTag ahead of time rather than incurring the ridiculous Platepass "convenience" fees.

According to Hertz's website, cars in Texas should be relying on the license plate for Platepass rather than having a transponder in the car. It even says I can use my own transponder.

But in this old thread it sounded like some Texas cars have the TxTag or EZTag unremoveable transponder stickers. Has anybody rented recently in Texas and noticed a TxTag or EZTag sticker in the car?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If the sensors read a transponder, that will be where they charge. If they don't read a transponder, they will use the license plate.

Also, as noted on the website on the Texas FAQ page

If you bring your own tag with you in the rental car during the trip, PlatePass® will not be used or activated. It is in your best interest to call and notify your toll company if you will be using their tag in their rental car (EZ TAG: 281-875-EASY; TxTag: 1-888-GoTxTag; or TollTag: 1-877-991-0033). If the tag is not mounted properly on the windshield, it will not be activated or read by the toll system you drive through the toll lane. In this case, you will be charged for the toll through the PlatePass® service. Although not possible, if you feel that you have been double billed by the toll authority and PlatePass®, please contact Hertz customer service at: 1-888-777-6095.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:43 pm

tolls in Texas

What is the best way to handle tolls in texas with a Hertz rental car?
Doesn't seem i can get the texas tag? Is there a cheaper alternative to just getting billed after from hertz?

I fly into DFW, and there is that toll road just as we exit the airport to get to I30/35? I need to make my way to I80E.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
You may want to check out this thread over in the Texas forum for info about rental cars and toll roads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas...ntal-cars.html
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Southwest
If you find yourself renting a car in Texas, Oklahoma or Kansas and anticipate having to pay tolls, you do have some options as a rental car customer. I bought a Kansas K-TAG hard case transponder. It has suction cups so you can mount it to any windshield. The K-TAG is usable on the Kansas Turnpike and is interoperable with the Oklahoma PikePass system and the Texas systems of E-ZTag (Houston), TollTag (Dallas-Fort Worth) and Austin (TXTag).

With a rental car, you just put the hard case K-TAG up on the windshield and enter in your license plate information on the K-TAG website. When you are done with your trip you remove the transponder and log back into the K-TAG website to remove the rental car from your account. The best part about it is you don’t have to put up money in advance for your account. They bill you after receiving the tolls. They do not have a monthly fee nor minimum use requirement for the transponder. It really works out well for occasional toll users.

The K-TAG website is: www.myktag.com .

You cannot get a portable transponder from any of the roads in Texas. They only use the sticker transponders which you must affix and leave on the windshield. That is where the K-TAG hard case transponder is advantageous.

Last edited by sunpass; Sep 14, 2018 at 3:25 pm Reason: Added website address for K-Tag
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by sunpass
If you find yourself renting a car in Texas, Oklahoma or Kansas and anticipate having to pay tolls, you do have some options as a rental car customer. I bought a Kansas K-TAG hard case transponder. It has suction cups so you can mount it to any windshield. The K-TAG is usable on the Kansas Turnpike and is interoperable with the Oklahoma PikePass system and the Texas systems of E-ZTag (Houston), TollTag (Dallas-Fort Worth) and Austin (TXTag).

With a rental car, you just put the hard case K-TAG up on the windshield and enter in your license plate information on the K-TAG website. When you are done with your trip you remove the transponder and log back into the K-TAG website to remove the rental car from your account. The best part about it is you don’t have to put up money in advance for your account. They bill you after receiving the tolls. They do not have a monthly fee nor minimum use requirement for the transponder. It really works out well for occasional toll users.

The K-TAG website is: www.myktag.com .

You cannot get a portable transponder from any of the roads in Texas. They only use the sticker transponders which you must affix and leave on the windshield. That is where the K-TAG hard case transponder is advantageous.

Thanks for the great information. Didn't know about the K-Tag.

Do you know if the TX toll-tags work in the same manner for Hz rentals, and supersede PlatePass billing?

Recent data on this one is hard to find.

I'll probably just order the K-Tag, so I can test out both.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by radiolarian

Thanks for the great information. Didn't know about the K-Tag.

Do you know if the TX toll-tags work in the same manner for Hz rentals, and supersede PlatePass billing?

Recent data on this one is hard to find.

I'll probably just order the K-Tag, so I can test out both.
The TX-Tag would supersede the PlatePass billing as it would be a transponder read prior to going to photo tolling (sans transponder).

The problem is that all of the tags issued by the various Texas authorities are sticker-based and you cannot move them from car to car. With a hard case K-TAG, you can easily move it between vehicles. There is an initial one time charge for the hard case K-TAG (whereas the sticker K-TAG is free) but it is worth it considering you can free yourself of having to use PlatePass on a Texas rental.

I also recommend getting a portable hard case North Carolina QuickPass transponder. It works at all E-ZPass facilities, in the Georgia PeachPass express lanes in the Atlanta region and at all toll facilities in Florida (SunPass, LeeWay, E-Pass).

Details: www.myncquickpass.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.