Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-ZPass) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-ZPass) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:43 am

The NY EZ Pass even says not to register rental cars (in fact, it probably wouldn't work because the car will already have been registered by Hertz).
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Yllanes
The NY EZ Pass even says not to register rental cars (in fact, it probably wouldn't work because the car will already have been registered by Hertz).
Correct. I used to bother with adding the vehicle to my account but now no longer do, both because the transponder has 100% read accuracy (so it never falls back to reading the plate) and the one time several years ago I forgot to get the transponder out of my bag and it did read the plate (and I had added the plate to my account), the bill went to PlatePass anyway (and they refunded me). E-ZPass customer service told me the first entity to register a plate is what was on record in their system, so subsequent registrations don’t do anything.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:39 am

This was before NYC MTA Bridge and Tunnel went cashless.
Driving a rental car thorough a cash lane I purchased my NY EZ-Pass for cash. I couldn't register it online because I couldn't get around the requirement to enter a license plate. Callingthe service center they registered the account without a car on it. Just warned me that the car owner would get the bill for a bad read or balance issues and if it was a rental I would be subject to the rental company fees.

Later on my Nephew worked for the call center for NY EZPass for 2 years and he answered the same question, you don't need to own a car or put a car on the account to use it.
Off topic, he also worked on how they were going to do EZPass carpool without going thru cash lane. Those transponders have a switch on them for carpool or not and a picture is taken and later reviewed to ensure 3 or more in the car.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
This was before NYC MTA Bridge and Tunnel went cashless.
Driving a rental car thorough a cash lane I purchased my NY EZ-Pass for cash. I couldn't register it online because I couldn't get around the requirement to enter a license plate. Callingthe service center they registered the account without a car on it. Just warned me that the car owner would get the bill for a bad read or balance issues and if it was a rental I would be subject to the rental company fees.
Yes. The NY EZ Pass website explicitly says you can register an EZ Pass without owning a car (which is my situation). The online registration asks for at least one car but if you call the service center you are told to make up a licence plate using the last three letters of your name and the last four digits of your phone number.

I use it several times a month on rental cars and I've never had an issue.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:12 pm

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-Z Pass) Thread

Thanks for all of the info. I live in So Cal and have used my pass so infrequently that I've forgotten the name of the program, lol, but I love it when I do. I guess I'll be getting a MA EZ Pass - I visit my dad 5-6 times/year (and it may go up as he inches toward 100 years old), so it'll be handy to have.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by critterchick
I just read part of the MA EZ Pass info and it says:Other Vehicles

Can I use my transponder in another vehicle?
Your transponder may be used in another vehicle as long as all license plates are listed on your account and all vehicles are the same class.

So do you enter the plate number into your account before you leave the rental car area (that's what they say to do)? I just got back from a trip to NYC and was so tired by the time I got to the rental car that I just opened up the EZ Pass and used it. Four days, two crossing of the Tappan Zee bridge cost me $36.75, so I'm looking for a workaround. Thanks for any insight.
Obviously there's no workaround for the cost you already incurred. But going forward, yeah, get your own EZ Pass.

I'd be curious what the MA EZ Pass agency would say on the phone if you asked how to deal with a rental car that's probably already listed on another account. Of course I think you can still get a NY EZ Pass (don't need to list the license plate) even if you don't live in-state, so maybe just go that route?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Obviously there's no workaround for the cost you already incurred. But going forward, yeah, get your own EZ Pass.

I'd be curious what the MA EZ Pass agency would say on the phone if you asked how to deal with a rental car that's probably already listed on another account. Of course I think you can still get a NY EZ Pass (don't need to list the license plate) even if you don't live in-state, so maybe just go that route?
Just applied for the NY EZ Pass. I put in my own car's license plate so I could complete the application online. Who knows; maybe there will be a coast-to-coast road trip some day!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I was told by a Hertz counter agent that all of their cars in the Northeast are now eligible to use E-Z Pass lanes even without a transponder in the vehicle. I had a new (<3k miles) Hertz car without a transponder and used a bunch of EZPass lanes on various Turnpikes in the Northeast. Hertz's website seems to indicate that only transponder-equipped cars can use cashless lanes in the Northeast and Illinois. Who is right?

A couple of days after my rental return, there's no PlatePass receipt available under my rental record number. Should I be worried?

Perhaps my question was better suited to this thread:

Can ANY Hertz car now be used with PlatePass in the Northeast? Even Hertz cars without transponders? I was given a car without a transponder and the counter agent assured me that no transponder is required anymore and Hertz has stopped equipping new cars with them.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 15, 2018 at 4:38 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Herb687
Perhaps my question was better suited to this thread:

Can ANY Hertz car now be used with PlatePass in the Northeast? Even Hertz cars without transponders? I was given a car without a transponder and the counter agent assured me that no transponder is required anymore and Hertz has stopped equipping new cars with them.
I wouldn't doubt that. I have at various times attempted to add Hertz cars to my own account for E-Z Pass and FastTrack. I'vre always fount that to be impossible because the cars were already on another account. ne time I called the FastTrack service center to try and it took a long time for them to pull the car up on teh screen because the account had so many cars attached to it.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:33 pm

You don't need to add the rental car to your EZPass account. If your transponder is read you will be charged correctly. Adding the car is only a backup in case the transponder does not work.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
You don't need to add the rental car to your EZPass account. If your transponder is read you will be charged correctly. Adding the car is only a backup in case the transponder does not work.
Yes - and I've had that a few times s I didn't want to take any chances. I've since given up on that as more cars are already signed up these days.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
I was told by a Hertz counter agent that all of their cars in the Northeast are now eligible to use E-Z Pass lanes even without a transponder in the vehicle. I had a new (<3k miles) Hertz car without a transponder and used a bunch of EZPass lanes on various Turnpikes in the Northeast. Hertz's website seems to indicate that only transponder-equipped cars can use cashless lanes in the Northeast and Illinois. Who is right?
More and more tollways are going fully cashless. On those that have gone cashless (like NYC's intracity tolled crossings, where I'm pretty sure all cash lanes were eliminated by the end of 2017, or the Mass Pike) you don't technically need a transponder. It should take longer to get the bill if you don't have a transponder, though I think you may be able to go onto some of the tolling authorities' websites to pay the tolls (based on the car's license plate) before they issue the bill to Platepass/Hertz. If you can pay them all online before the bill issues, you can probably save on the Platepass service fees.

On tollways that still have cash-accepting tollboths (like the NJ Turnpike, and the Port Authority's tolled crossings between NY and NJ) I'm pretty sure you'll get a fine (in addition to the toll) if you go through an EZ-Pass-only lane without a transponder. Although it's possible they've registered the car's license plate number to an EZ Pass account, in which case you should get billed like normal.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by themicah
On tollways that still have cash-accepting tollboths (like the NJ Turnpike, and the Port Authority's tolled crossings between NY and NJ) I'm pretty sure you'll get a fine (in addition to the toll) if you go through an EZ-Pass-only lane without a transponder. Although it's possible they've registered the car's license plate number to an EZ Pass account, in which case you should get billed like normal.
I got a fine the other day for my own car even though I've registered my plate and I have a transponder. Basically I had an out-of-state plate which they could find my address just fine, but no they couldn't find my out-of-state EZPass account? Kind of silly, but anyways I was able to put my transponder number on the back of the "violation payment slip," hopefully that resolves the issue, but the fact that I had to do the latter is beyond stupid.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
site blocked
It works fine fr me - and redirects to this URL: https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/home/index.shtml
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:22 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
site blocked
I suspect you're in the UK.

NY ez-pass blocks connections to their website from non-US; I wonder if that is what is happening here too? I don't have a good solution other than a VPN to the USA.

Last edited by stc; Sep 30, 2018 at 3:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.