Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

No points (For Rentals From Hertz at Guam International Airport)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

So, I have two three-week rentals from Hertz in Guam that haven't posted. Both rentals were about $1,500-ish -- so a decent amount of points.

After multiple emails to the branch weren't returned, I contacted Hertz. A week later, they respond by telling me I'm not eligible for points because the rentals were at a Hertz licensed branch.

As a President's Circle customer, I've never come across this before even on international rentals at smaller airports.

At no point during booking nor on the reservation confirmation itself did it disclose that this branch was a licensee and, as such, not eligible to award points.

I've responded to Hertz, expressing my disappointment and advised that this will impact by decisions when renting cars in the future. I also asked for a supervisor to contact me.

Does anyone else have experience with this? I feel, at the minimum, Hertz needs to add a disclaimer to reservations at licensed branches.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 1, 2017 at 4:37 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#threadtitles
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...-licensee.html
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Thanks, but that's over two years old and doesn't address the point I raised about this not being disclosed.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:17 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Which location?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Which location?
Guam airport.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

From https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/mi...Qs.jsp#Earning

Originally Posted by Hertz
Where can I earn and redeem points?
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards points can be earned and redeemed at participating locations in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas USVI, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. For Hertz On Demand 24/7, qualifying rentals include rentals only in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Spain.
Guam is not listed as a place where points can be earned ; also it states "participating locations"
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
From https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/mi...Qs.jsp#Earning

Guam is not listed as a place where points can be earned ; also it states "participating locations"
(Rolls eyes) Umm, Guam is part of the United States. And there's nothing during booking to indicate if a location isn't "participating" or not.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
(Rolls eyes) Umm, Guam is part of the United States. And there's nothing during booking to indicate if a location isn't "participating" or not.
It is a territory of the USA - if you were to read the link, you would also see that in membership eligibility to earn points, Guam is explicitly listed as a country and not lumped in as USA

Since it is explicitly listed under the eligibility list of countries, the same would apply to the next section to do with earning points

Originally Posted by Hertz
Earning Points
How can I earn Hertz Gold Plus Rewards points?

You must be a member of Hertz Gold Plus Rewards in order to earn points and only members with an address in the following countries may participate:

Europe
Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland the United Kingdom

North America & U.S. Territories
United States, Bermuda, Canada, Mexico, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Marianas, Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. John, St. Thomas

Both Guam and St Thomas are unincorporated territories - within the eligibility for membership and for areas to earn points, Guam and St Thomas are listed as countries where eligibility to have a membership to earn miles is listed, however St Thomas is listed as a country where points may be earned

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 31, 2017 at 4:13 pm
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It is a territory of the USA - if you were to read the link, you would also see that in membership eligibility to earn points, Guam is explicitly listed and not lumped in as USA

Since it is explicitly listed under the eligibility list of countries, the same would apply to the next section to do with earning points
And the District of Columbia, which is not a state, is not listed.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:15 pm

You believe what you want on this - It is pretty clear from the Hertz link that the unincorpotated territories of Guam and St Thomas are explicitly listed in the terms and that , of the 2, only locations in St Thomas are listed as eligible for earning miles from the rentals
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went through CBP check while returning from Guam. I didn't need to go through CBP for trips to/from DC.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

You believe what you want on this - It is pretty clear from the Hertz link that the unincorpotated territories of Guam and St Thomas are explicitly listed in the terms and that , of the 2, only locations in St Thomas are listed as eligible for earning miles from the rentals
For what it's worth, Hertz said points weren't awarded because this was a licensee branch, not because Guam is excluded.

Originally Posted by TerryK
I went through CBP check while returning from Guam. I didn't need to go through CBP for trips to/from DC.
You went through customs, not immigration. There's a difference.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 1, 2017 at 9:44 am Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You went through customs, not immigration. There's a difference.
Perhaps a technical difference. However, there was no check, other than TSA, last time I flew from DC back to NYC.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
Perhaps a technical difference. However, there was no check, other than TSA, last time I flew from DC back to NYC.
Actually, it's a significant difference.

The states are in one customs zone. Puerto Rico is as well, but the Virgin Islands, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands control their own customs. American Samoa controls its own immigration and customs.

The fact is, however, that D.C. isn't a state and is excluded from Hertz's list.

Regardless, as I said, Hertz's basis for denial of points isn't Guam being Guam but the branch at the airport being a licensee.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, it's a significant difference....
US Customs check is performed by CBP. CBP = Customs and Border Protection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.