Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comp Herzt #1 Gold Club--is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2003, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Location: BKK, formerly Irvine, CA, UA 1-k-MM, Hilton-gold, Gold Starwood
Comp Herzt #1 Gold Club--is it worth it?

I just received a letter from Hertz because I am a Amex platinum card member for a free #1 gold card.
I've never rented from Herzt, usually Avis, or alamo. So the question is is the gold card worth it and what are the benifits?
Regars,
Robert
Old Dec 21, 2003, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
considering you're getting it for free, I am sure it is at least worth that ! Check out the Hertz website for more info....basically it's like any other frequent renter card...at some locations, you just get in your car and drive off. At other locations, you get a special line....etc...No automatic upgrades or anything like that...
Old Dec 21, 2003, 7:26 pm
Original Member

In addition to the preferential treatment, they will send you discount offers and upgrade offers. It's definitely worth having.

QL
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I never receive discounts/upgrades but it's great for the convenience of getting in the car and getting out of the airport.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

" So the question is is the gold card worth it and what are the benifits?"

If you do not rent from Hertz it will be of zero benefit. They store your credit card details and driving licence and when you turn up to collect a car , the paperwork will already be done rather than having to wait to get it processed. In some locations in some countries, you can bypass the desk and go straight to the car.

Their offering it for free to you is hardly a big thing; outside the US/Canada it is free anyway and , from what I can tell, there are quite a few ways of getting it for free in the US/Canada

If you are likely to start renting with Hertz, then the card is useful, if not, then don't. It doesn't offer any benefits such as car upgrades unless you do > 10 rentals in a year and get upgraded to 5* membership

Dave
Old Dec 22, 2003, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the responses.
Since I don't rent from Hertz, looks like I don't need the gold card.
Looks like just more fluff from AMEX pretending to give you something to justify their high fees and charges.
Thanks to all,
Robert
Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:26 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
I never receive discounts/upgrades but it's great for the convenience of getting in the car and getting out of the airport. </font>
They are emailed every few months. Usually it's either a free weekend day or $15-20 off a weekend or weekly rental.

QL
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:06 pm

I like being Hertz Gold, it's saved me countless hours (of waiting in line / paperwork) on airport pickups. It's a bennie that's widely given away to Amex and AA members...I think it's also a freebie for Aadvantage PLT's & EXP's as well as Costco members...so it isn't that great a deal unless you're into Fords.

I find the service as good as Avis Preferred, IMHO the cars at Hertz are just in better condition (and I hate GM cars!).
Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
I never receive discounts/upgrades but it's great for the convenience of getting in the car and getting out of the airport.</font>
Check the companys in your on-line portfolio. Some CDP plans prohibit Hz from mailing you 'promotional' materials. If you have one of these plans in you account, ask them to remove it. Be cautious about this, though. Sometimes that plan is why you receive Hz G gratis.

GMF
Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:00 pm

I never receive discounts/upgrades but it's great for the convenience of getting in the car and getting out of the airport. </font>
Agree it may be "promotion" related. A colleague of mine had 5* (few years ago)and I called Hertz asked why I didn't. I was told it was due to the "Promotional Materials" option which I opted out of. Perhaps you have too as I get the mentioned coupons, both paper and electronic, every few months....
Old Dec 24, 2003, 9:27 am
Original Poster

I received my offer through AMEX Platinum.
Free enrollment
upgrade certs
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:43 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Bringing this back from the depths...

My airline is giving away Club Gold for free. I already have an existing #1 club account, which I'd like to convert to preserve the (admittedly few) points I have in there. Hertz phone support said it can't be done and that I'd have to just open two accounts, but I figured someone here would be smarter about it.

I don't mind the process of signing up again and then having them merge the accounts -- I just want to make sure I do it the proper way the first time. Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2004, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One potential reason to switch to Hertz -- last I looked around it is the only car rental company that offers the GPS systems in cars. Granted its an extra $9/day, but can be very useful (when the company is picking up the tab).
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:46 am

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
I realized the value of my comped Club Gold membership when I used Hertz at ORD over two years ago. I placed my luggage in the rental car (ready and waiting) and went inside to use the bathroom and saw about FIFTY PEOPLE WAITING IN LINE for the next available agent.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:56 pm

It's nice to have in those locations that have the covered area, in harsh weather conditions.

------------------
The perfect ladies' man is a perfect gentleman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.