Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: Cattle Class
Originally Posted by SKYEG
You can't find expiry dates. You can look up your last two years of transaction so go back and find the exact date manually.
Thank you for your response. This method (booking/cancelling award rental) is marked as YMMV so I might think that points are good for the next two years while Hertz's system might have a different opinion.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
"Points do not expire as long as the member has any Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program activity in the prior 24 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards Point was either earned or redeemed."

When you book a reward reservation that creates an immediate debit to your balance. Then, if cancelled, you get a credit. I wonder if that works?

Another option: call and plead your case. Maybe a Gold Plus rep can extend the deadline, or even give you a courtesy credit. All you need is one point, from the looks of the T&C.
Note that they've partially changed the T&Cs. Unfortunately, the T&Cs now seem to be inconsistent. They now read

Points do not expire as long as the member has a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program rental in the prior 24 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards Point was either earned or redeemed.
The first sentence says "rental," while the second sentence says "activity." I don't know if they meant to change the conditions so that only an actual vehicle rental would qualify, and forgot to remove the second sentence, or if the first sentence should read "any Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program activity."
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Note that they've partially changed the T&Cs. Unfortunately, the T&Cs now seem to be inconsistent.."
from Q&A it states 'Points do not expire as long as you have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards rental activity in the prior 24 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards Point was either earned or redeemed on a rental.' so in my case I'm shooting for redeemed (ignoring the cancelled later part).
What I hate abt hertz it does not show the expiration date as most of the other programs do.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Awtas
from Q&A it states 'Points do not expire as long as you have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards rental activity in the prior 24 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards Point was either earned or redeemed on a rental.' so in my case I'm shooting for redeemed (ignoring the cancelled later part).
What I hate abt hertz it does not show the expiration date as most of the other programs do.
But to Hertz' credit, they do email customers with email address on file in order to provide them a few weeks advance warning about point expiration. It's actually a more customer-friendly approach than I see with most "loyalty" programs in the travel space.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
But to Hertz' credit, they do email customers with email address on file in order to provide them a few weeks advance warning about point expiration. It's actually a more customer-friendly approach than I see with most "loyalty" programs in the travel space.
Did not know that they always notify before points expire. Seeing the expiration date online would help in the scenarios where specific activity is subject to interpretation, e.g. booking a rental using points and then cancelling. This activity creates an entry in the statement that can be viewed as Rewards Rental Activity however when I asked Hertz what is my current point expiration date, expiration date that was provide remained unchanged as if Reward Rental Reservation booking never happened.

Just now got a response from Hertz:
'The date of 2/16/2017 is where you redeemed 675 points for a reservation. However, you cancelled the reservation on 2/18/2017. This will not count as activity towards your account.
You must complete a rental, where either a Hertz points is either earned or redeemed.'

I read that actual rental will be required. Does anyone know a cheap way get a rental activity?
I was thinking what if I book rental using the points do not cancel and do not pick up a car, would that extend the expiration date of the points?

Last edited by Awtas; Mar 2, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:57 pm

Did not know that they always notify before points expire. Seeing the expiration date online would help in the scenarios where specific activity is subject to interpretation, e.g. booking a rental using points and then cancelling. This activity creates an entry in the statement that can be viewed as Rewards Rental Activity however when I asked Hertz what is my current point expiration date, expiration date that was provide remained unchanged as if Reward Rental Reservation booking never happened.

Just now got a response from Hertz:
'The date of 2/16/2017 is where you redeemed 675 points for a reservation. However, you cancelled the reservation on 2/18/2017. This will not count as activity towards your account.
You must complete a rental, where either a Hertz points is either earned or redeemed.'

I read that actual rental will be required. Does anyone know a cheap way get a rental activity?
I was thinking what if I book rental using the points do not cancel and do not pick up a car, would that extend the expiration date of the points?
What did Hertz say when you asked them? Why not just book a rental at your local HLE, swing by, pick up the car, drive it around the block, and return it?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:00 pm

ok, so finally got to the point where expiration should be moved by 24 months.
Originally had a reservation (using points) for March 15th, however when I got to the location it was closed due to the snow. Big fail on location's side that noone contacted me via the email or the phone that location is closed. So I was at the point where I couldn't even cancel the reservation and expiration of the points was not extended. Talked to cust support, Gold support, and some other department. They were able to cancel my reservation and credit the points back, but noone could make an exception (I played by their rules however was not able to complete the reservation due to their (location closed) fault) and move the expiration date by 24 months.
So here's my experience:
1. You need to complete (no show reservation does not count) the reservation in order for the expiration date to be reset. Making and then cancelling the reservation does not count.
2. Hertz will not send a notification before the points expire. This was included in one of the email responses I received. This seems to contradict to what others are experiencing.
3. It seems that noone was willing or able to make an exception and 'overwrite' the expiration date.
4. Booking using the points, weekend days are 550 points vs weekdays 625 however some locations (mine as an example) have all weekends blacketout (that's the term Hertz was using) so weekday was a cheaper option for me.

Last edited by Awtas; Mar 22, 2017 at 7:13 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:39 pm

ok, so finally got to the point where expiration should be moved by 24 months.
Originally had a reservation (using points) for March 15th, however when I got to the location it was closed due to the snow. Big fail on location's side that noone contacted me via the email or the phone that location is closed. So I was at the point where I couldn't even cancel the reservation and expiration of the points was not extended. Talked to cust support, Gold support, and some other department. They were able to cancel my reservation and credit the points back, but noone could make an exception (I played by their rules however was not able to complete the reservation due to their (location closed) fault) and move the expiration date by 24 months.
So here's my experience:
1. You need to complete the reservation in order for the expiration date to be reset. Making and then cancelling the reservation does not count.
2. Hertz will not send a notification before the points expire. This was included in one of the email responses I received. This seems to contradict to what others are experiencing.
3. It seems that noone was willing or able to make an exception and 'overwrite' the expiration date.
4. Booking using the points, weekend days are 550 points vs weekdays 625 however some locations (mine as an example) have all weekends blacketout (that's the term Hertz was using) so weekday was a cheaper option for me.
Regarding #4, if you were using a Manhattan location, they're on Anytime rates (2x the normal rate, or 1100 points per weekend day) for pretty much every weekend.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:15 am

Does anyone know how strict (in terms of timing) Hertz is in regards to the 2 year expiration?

My last rental was April 27th 2015 so that means the points will expire April 27th 2017.

But I am traveling to a wedding in the middle of May and will rent cars there.

Will my points still be around, or do I need to waste some points and rent a car to drive around the block.

Thank you
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:25 pm

I've called Hertz gold rewards twice and gotten two different answers.

Call 1 - Points are supposed to expire on April 28th, but if you have to rent in the middle of May its fine, it doesn't expire EXACTLY on the 2 year anniversary.

Call 2 - Points will expire automatically on that day, will not be able to use points for the May rental because the points will be expired
Old May 3, 2017, 3:16 pm

1. You need to complete (no show reservation does not count) the reservation in order for the expiration date to be reset. Making and then cancelling the reservation does not count.
Anyone knows if that's the "reservation" date or "pick up date" or "completion date"?

My last completed rental was mid-Apr 2015.
I redeemed points made a reservation in Jan 2017. (No intervening activity since Apr 2015).
I fully intend to keep the reservation (so this is not a book-then-cancel scenario.) But that reservation starts in late June 2017, and ends in early July 2017.

So technically, I would have had >24 months between completed rentals. (Apr 15 to Jul 17). But I definitely had an activity (Jan 2017) within the 24-month range.

As of the time of writing (early May 2017), my points have not expired yet. And when the Jan redemption occurred, it modified the points balance. But I would hate to show up at the rental in June and discover they invalidated it...

So does any one have any clarity on whether the redemption activity (that is not subsequently cancelled) counts in the 24 months rule?
Old May 5, 2017, 8:55 am

How about the earning of "bonus points"? I received 5 points for registering for the Spring Registration Bonus. Will that extend the expiration date?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by TerryK
You need rental activity. Booking an award then cancel it later is the easiest way.@:-)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...xpiration.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...ng-points.html
I'm reading some things online that only a paid reservation counts as qualifying activity. Has anyone recently confirmed that booking and cancelling an award works?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
I'm reading some things online that only a paid reservation counts as qualifying activity. Has anyone recently confirmed that booking and cancelling an award works?
I just make an award booking for like nearly a year later and then cancel it after I've made a regular paid/points-earning rental.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Points expiry question

Hi,

Can anyone say with definitative certainty when points expire? Is it 24-months without any activity, or 24-months without rental activity? Does any type of earn reset the clock, or only earned points via renting? I've tried calling several times and have gotten a different answer from Hertz each time. Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.