Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Dream (Nightmare) Car/Serivce

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
I own a 2014 M5 with competition package and can tell you that 8k miles is about what you should expect from rear tires on this car. Probably even less considering it is a rental car and people are going to get on the gas a little bit more aggressively.

My first set of rear tires lasted less than a year and when they got close to the wear bars they have hardly any traction even with dry roads.
Thanks for the insight (and very nice car you have there -- my wife wants me to get one now (and we never see eye-to-eye on cars)). Interesting thing was that the fronts were almost bald as well. Certainly not as bad as the rear tires, but still probably illegal. You are definitely right about traction though. On the night I took it out after it rained all day, I needed to put the transmission in sequential mode just so I could start in 2nd gear and the tires were still slipping with only modest accelerator application and DSC on (though I never turned that off).
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by HoratioXXXXblower
since maybe last summer they've rolled out this initiative where they're supposedly inspecting tread on every car serviced, as I believe there was a death related to bald tires and an accompanying lawsuit ---- they bought a LOT of new tires.
I went to get a car from an HLE last summer, and got told they didn't have any cars they could give me. There were a few in the lot, I asked about them, and they said they couldn't rent them because the tires didn't meet the new safety standard. I was a little annoyed, and they got me a car an hour or two later. It had brand new tires, at least one of which still had the sticker on its tread.

I expect the reason all four tires on the OP's car were worn out was because they rotated them. (or some previous renter swapped them out.)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
The M5 does not have a square set up (front tires are a different size than the rear) so it isn't possible to rotate the tires on an M5.

I am surprised that the fronts were worn out as well. I now have 11k miles on my M5 and my front tires are still in great shape.

I wonder if someone rented the M5 and took it to a track event. That is pretty much the only way to wear out front tires as fast as the rears (and even then, it is tough to do).

I am a former high performance driving instructor so that is why I know all this stuff.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

I am told that I should have the results of the investigation mid to late next week. The gentlemen from Hertz that replied to this thread has been very responsive and understanding (much more so than the other channels that I have been dealing with). Sounds like things will be resolved in my favor but failing to check and document the condition of the tires at the outset is certainly a mistake that I will not make again.

Hopefully I find that that my experience was simply a result of some breakdown in communication given the various locations/departments that I was dealing with and not something more egregious.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by ermazur
I am told that I should have the results of the investigation mid to late next week. The gentlemen from Hertz that replied to this thread has been very responsive and understanding (much more so than the other channels that I have been dealing with). Sounds like things will be resolved in my favor but failing to check and document the condition of the tires at the outset is certainly a mistake that I will not make again.

Hopefully I find that that my experience was simply a result of some breakdown in communication given the various locations/departments that I was dealing with and not something more egregious.
If Hertz failed to check and document the condition of the tires before you left the lot, then I would think that it would be their fault, not yours.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
If Hertz failed to check and document the condition of the tires before you left the lot, then I would think that it would be their fault, not yours.
We will see what the actual cause was next week sometime, but I received confirmation that they are dropping the claim against me. So, my faith in Hertz is somewhat restored but I am reserving final judgment on the matter until I find out exactly how (i) that vehicle was allowed to be given to a customer with tires in those condition and (ii) they made the determination to send me a bill for the replacements.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:15 pm

Miscommunication is always possible, but hertz has migrated away from providing a service and towards the business of collecting money.

If you shakedown 1000 people maybe 100 actually pay, and the rest get an 'oops, sorry' with a certificate for a free upgrade
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HoratioXXXXblower
Miscommunication is always possible, but hertz has migrated away from providing a service and towards the business of collecting money.

If you shakedown 1000 people maybe 100 actually pay, and the rest get an 'oops, sorry' with a certificate for a free upgrade
I obviously can only speak to my situation, but an "oops, sorry" isn't going to cut it here. Between all of the phone calls, driving/waiting at two different locations, etc., I probably wasted at least 5 hours of my vacation. Add that to the fact that they put me and my family in what I would consider a dangerous vehicle and then tried to bill me for the "damage". I haven't made any demands (nor will I) because my view is how a company handles a situation like this on their own is better reflective of how much they value the future business.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: True Blue, Hertz #1 Club, Marriott Rewards
Thanks for the heads-up and great advice from the other posters. I rent Dream cars quite often and typically they're low mileage, virtually new cars. I always assumed the tires were in good shape.

I'll be sure to document everything on future rentals. Hopefully the Hertz rep will get things sorted out for you .
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:16 am

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
Hertz really needs to get their stuff right and handle cases like this with maximum responsibility. It is absolutely unprofessional to blame customers like this without any evidence.

Stuff like this would never happen in Japan, but then again, you can't rent an M5 there in the first place...
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by ermazur
Upon arriving at MCO, the manager (or someone who I assumed was the manager) came out, inspected the tires and commented that she had never seen tires that were so worn before. ... After going in the back of the office for about 10 minutes she returned to tell me that I could not exchange the car because the Dream Car department worked differently and the circumstances needed to be “investigated”... That being said, a person named Hector was supposed to call me to discuss the situation. Needless to say, I was livid at the insinuation that I committed some kind of theft against Hertz and left.
Sorry you had the bad tires from FLL and the unwarranted accusation, but I can't help but notice the common theme of terrible customer service and management unavailable with Hector at MCO in Orlando. Read so many other threads and also Yelp for this location, this Hertz location has huge problems and is costing Hertz good customers left and right, they need to clean house but so far no interest.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:36 am

I have to chime in on the Hertz at MCO. WORST HERTZ EVER!!!

I had an issue with a dream car rental, an M5 also. They didn't want to honor the confirmed rate, gave me the run around, tried to charge me the cancellation fee even though I took the car. One guy points the finger at the other guy, tells you to call the Manager who you can never reach. A HORRIBLE HERTZ LOCATION!! STAY AWAY!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.