Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long is a week?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How long is a week?

For the first time ever I'm looking at renting a car for more than 4 days, so jumping into the "1 week" category.

However I'm seeing a few oddities. If I book Sunday 8am to Sunday 8am I get a "1 week" rate, with a total price of around $300. If I change it to Sunday 8am to Saturday 8am I get a "1 week" rate with a total price of around $240.

Part of the difference (around $10 worth) is in the Airport fees, which I'm guessing vary based on the rental length (in days), but the other ~$50 is in an actual base rate charge, despite both rates being for 1 week.

Is this normal? If I book for the 6-day week and then return it a day late should I expect the price to go up? I'm already paying for a "week", so paying an extra day rate doesn't make a lot of sense given that I'll only have the car for 7 days!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I'm guessing that there are different rate codes used in each of the two price quotes. You would need to ask Hertz what the rate rules are for each of those rate codes.

Some time ago, I noticed that at some Avis locations, a full seven-day (168-hour) rental cost more than a 167-hour (six-day, 23-hour) rental. You might try pricing your Hertz rental for a 167-hour keep to see what rate you get.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
A week with Hertz is generally 5-7 days IIRC. Will be the same base rate but taxes/fees may differ, thus changing the final cost slightly. This can be altered depending on the CDP, PC, or RQ you use.

-J.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
A week with Hertz is generally 5-7 days IIRC. Will be the same base rate but taxes/fees may differ, thus changing the final cost slightly. This can be altered depending on the CDP, PC, or RQ you use.

-J.
The problem being reported by the OP is that he is being quoted two different weekly base rates, depending on whether he prices a six-day keep, or a seven-day keep.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
A week is seven calendar days

hertz however charges for a week after four days and some amount of hours. My experience has been generally 4 days and 3 hours prices at daily rates, where 4 days and 4 hours and over prices at the weekly rate.

The weekly rate depends on when you take the car and return it. I think it's based on how many weekend days you have and how many week days you have, but that's just a guess. Sometimes it works in your favor (where six days cost less than seven days even though both are the week rate) and sometimes it doesn't like in your case.

I'm sure others will disagree that the base rate changes, but it's fairly easy to book a few reservations to see that not all week rates for the same car starting on the same day are the same.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
There can be some other variables. I mean, try pricing a Mon 8am to Fri 5pm rental for example (5 days). That won't price as a week in my experience; you need at least a Friday night in there usually or else you get 5 midweek days at the midweek (usually high, at least at airports) price. You know how airlines have or used to have Saturday night stay requirements? With rentals it seems like it's usually a Friday night keep requirement. Sometimes it's also a minimum of days, so like a one-day Fri-Sat may or may not price as a weekend day, but a 2-day going back on Saturday will pretty much always price as 2 weekend days.

Most likely the reason in the given example that keeping until Sunday is costing significantly more is because there is some high demand going on for that Sunday at that spot. Otherwise it shouldn't normally make a big difference in the weekly charge.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:38 am
In Memoriam

Sometimes it also depends on the type of car and if you prepay or not, for example next Monday to Friday at LGA

You are offered prepaid as a daily (because it works out to slightly less) but post paid as a weekly for one car class, and weekly for both for another car class.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
Sometimes it also depends on the type of car and if you prepay or not, for example next Monday to Friday at LGA

You are offered prepaid as a daily (because it works out to slightly less) but post paid as a weekly for one car class, and weekly for both for another car class.
Interesting. Well, everything has exceptions I guess. Buncha head scratchers in that, including the postpaid compact more expensive than midsize SUV (which I hear of on here but have never experienced personally). And I've never gotten such a significant difference on prepaid rates. Also the rates are just pretty high in general, although I would expect that from a Mon-Fri, and it is LGA after all. And with no CDP at all. (Reminds me that I rarely check rates with no CDP; I've never had it come out less.)

I guess more likely there IS a weekly rate in all cases, but sometimes/often the 5x daily rate is actually less so it shows you that.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Interesting. Well, everything has exceptions I guess. Buncha head scratchers in that, including the postpaid compact more expensive than midsize SUV (which I hear of on here but have never experienced personally). And I've never gotten such a significant difference on prepaid rates. Also the rates are just pretty high in general, although I would expect that from a Mon-Fri, and it is LGA after all. And with no CDP at all. (Reminds me that I rarely check rates with no CDP; I've never had it come out less.)

I guess more likely there IS a weekly rate in all cases, but sometimes/often the 5x daily rate is actually less so it shows you that.
Do you really want a gas-guzzling SUV in New York City or a fuel efficient compact that can fit in a tiny parking space?

I saw something similar last summer, where minivans were the cheapest by a wide margin out of JFK. I almost booked one since I was planning on doing a short road trip to visit some universities, and my plan was to sleep in the car if I got the van

-J.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:34 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Do you really want a gas-guzzling SUV in New York City or a fuel efficient compact that can fit in a tiny parking space?
Most people renting a car at the airport and driving it into New York City won't be parking it on the street, it's way too confusing for them to figure out where and when they can park.

They will park in a parking lot, where they don't have a clue where the attendant will be parking the car, and the size of the space doesn't matter.

Plus I seriously doubt many people landing at LGA will rent a car of any size if their destination is New York City.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by cordelli
They will park in a parking lot, where they don't have a clue where the attendant will be parking the car, and the size of the space doesn't matter.

Plus I seriously doubt many people landing at LGA will rent a car of any size if their destination is New York City.
Space is at a premium in New York, including lots. Perhaps not in this case, but if the OP got a minivan or large SUV and brought it to the lot, a surcharge would be added onto the bill at most lots in Manhattan. An IFAR or SFAR you can get away with. Parking on the street (99% of the time) is still the cheapest option, though.

I agree, I don't know why someone would rent a car if their destination was NYC. But there has to be some reason why the NY metro area is the most expensive rental car market in the world and is often excluded from promos.

-J.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:42 am
In Memoriam

The mid size SUV presented by Hertz on top off the listing would not be charged a surcharge at "most lots in Manhattan". Certainly not at any of the lots I use on a regular basis. The cost to park a Mid Size SUV I believe has nothing to do with the rental rate.

The compact car also costs hundreds more a week than a Camry or similar does, and there's certainly no extra charge to park a Camry anywhere (at least not any lots I've ever used).

Compacts are in higher demand because of the high gas prices (since most people renting at LGA are not just driving to Manhattan and parking), and they do not have the supply to meet the demand. Renters are stupid enough to believe that by saving five or ten gallons of gas is a better deal than getting a larger car for hundreds less.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've noticed this at different agencies but it's really stood out when it's been the other way: the 6-day rental is cheaper than the 5-day rental, both with base rates that say "1 week".

Begs the obvious question of whether a 6-day rental would incur any sort of early drop-off fee if you brought it back after 5 days.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've noticed this at different agencies but it's really stood out when it's been the other way: the 6-day rental is cheaper than the 5-day rental, both with base rates that say "1 week".

Begs the obvious question of whether a 6-day rental would incur any sort of early drop-off fee if you brought it back after 5 days.
This would make sense to me if there was not a weekend night in the 5-days. Then it would be typical gouging of the captive business traveler. But if over a weekend both ways, that really would be strange. And yeah kinda risky if you returned too early....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.