Wiki Posts
Search

Any experiences renting a car in UK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Work in progress.
Any experiences renting a car in UK?

I've got a trip coming up in December, and though it's kinda' early to book, I'd still like to know if anybody else has had any experiences renting a car in the UK?

How different is it, in terms of insurance and rules?

I was planning on just getting Primary Insurance through my Amex Business Platinum card. They offer a flat rate of $25 one time payment that covers the entire trip. Don't know if it's the same rate for overseas too?

I'd appreciate your inputs and experiences.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

By law, Hertz has to provide insurance in the UK to renters; it is illegal to drive without insurance

Most of the decent rental rates in the UK ime include Collision Damage Waiver and Theft Protection; there is an excess of GBP750

With this coverage, I wouldn't be overly worried about taking out additional cover unless you want to pay to reduce the USD1170 excess to zero

If you decide to take out a rental that doesn't have CDW, then I would definitely be looking for coverage, but ime, in the UK, the rates excluding CDW tend to be more expensive than those with it

Dave
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, United,Virgin and AA
I agree with Dave. Also in the UK credit/amex cards do not have hire car cover as far as I know. So you need to check with amex to see if you would be covered. I rent lots of cars in the UK and always have CDW and theft protection. Hertz offer super protection, but never take it, as it costs more than the car hire.

You can also go to the Hertz web site and change the location to the UK and check out the UK rates etc.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by holodoc
I agree with Dave. Also in the UK credit/amex cards do not have hire car cover as far as I know. So you need to check with amex to see if you would be covered. I rent lots of cars in the UK and always have CDW and theft protection. Hertz offer super protection, but never take it, as it costs more than the car hire.

You can also go to the Hertz web site and change the location to the UK and check out the UK rates etc.
Actually, it is better to be in a location other than the UK for rates I have found; rates for visitors to UK seem to be better than rates locally ( e.g. D group cars for GBP23 inc taxes and CDW and TP )
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Actually, it is better to be in a location other than the UK for rates I have found; rates for visitors to UK seem to be better than rates locally ( e.g. D group cars for GBP23 inc taxes and CDW and TP )
Interesting.. that's why we get better rates in the USA ?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
If you get the coverage from AMEX etc, you need to take a copy of your insurance coverage with you. They won't take your word for it.

It is however true that most rental cars come with coverage already.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
By law, Hertz has to provide insurance in the UK to renters; it is illegal to drive without insurance

Most of the decent rental rates in the UK ime include Collision Damage Waiver and Theft Protection; there is an excess of GBP750

With this coverage, I wouldn't be overly worried about taking out additional cover unless you want to pay to reduce the USD1170 excess to zero

If you decide to take out a rental that doesn't have CDW, then I would definitely be looking for coverage, but ime, in the UK, the rates excluding CDW tend to be more expensive than those with it

Dave

okay...I'm a little confused.
Dave says that the rate includes CDW, holodoc says that hertz offers CDW but I shouldn't take it?!?
Sorry... I have NEVER rented a car before. I'm going to be renting for the first time in September in the U.S.

Renting in the U.K seems even more complicated.

For example, I did a search on Kayak. com. and got this result

As you can see the cheapest car there shows up for $147 for a week. (via Dollar! gasp)
This price is inclusive of all taxes (that's what it says).

So is this a good price?
Does it include CDW?
Will I have to buy it separately?
Can I use discount codes with this rental?

I'm going to call Amex tomorrow to find out for sure if I can or cannot get that damned insurance through them?

P.S- I realize that this thread is for hertz...and I realize that the cheapest rental in that list is Dollar (doing a search on hertz, shows me rentals starting from $260 and up)...But I'm hoping you guys will find it in your heart to help me nevertheless.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by jatink129
okay...I'm a little confused.
Dave says that the rate includes CDW, holodoc says that hertz offers CDW but I shouldn't take it?!?
I did not say don't take the CDW. - I always have the CDW

I said Hertz offers Supper Cover which I do not personally take.

-
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:29 am

UK law requires all vehicles to have third party coverage provided by the registered keeper. So it is true that a third party cover is already in place through Hertz. However, there is a substatial excess (usually between 300 - 1000, depends on car group) for any damage to the car - whether it is your fault or not.
If you have insurance through a credit card provider - AND that coverage is extended to the UK - then this is fine. AmericanExpress do provide this cover to some of their card types in the UK, and I never have any arguments with Hertz counter staff about this. But there are loads of variations on this - you need to check the documentation that comes with your specific card.

Cultural differences.
Cars (below luxury level) will be manual transmission. If you need automatic this needs to be specifically reserved and it costs more.
Damage. So far as I can tell, in the US the rental companies only check that the car still has four wheels and an engine when you return. UK damage control procedures are much much stricter. Check the damage sheet before you drive away and make sure every scratch and mark is on the sheet.
Spouse. Policies that apply in the US - such as spouse can drive without any admin or paperwork - DO NOT apply in the UK. If a person is not named on the rental documents they are not on Hertz's UK insurance policy - and therefore driving without insurance.
Fuel. Most cars use diesel. Diesel comes from a black pump. Putting unleaded (green pump) in a diesel car and driving away will cause catostrophic damage to the fuel injection system - expect to be presented with a four figure repair bill.
Stop start. Because of ever tougher emission laws, many cars have automatic stop start (ie the engine will die when stopped in traffic). Wierd if you've not driven with this - you quickly get used to it.
Airport premium. This seems to be a significant cost on US rentals. There is much less difference between airport and downtown rates over here.
London Edinburgh York. Trying to drive (and park) in historic city centres is madness. You don't want a car in these cities.
Drive on the left.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:56 am

Jatink 129

Below is a typical Hertz UK car hire

Selected Vehicle [Change]
(C) Vauxhall Astra or similar More Details
Unlimited Free Miles Included
1 week
Total Estimate Charge includes
Location Service Charge
Collision Damage Waiver
Theft Protection
Vehicle Licensing Fee and Road Tax
Tax and other charges
Vehicle Subtotal 159.90 GBP
Total Estimated Charge 159.90 GBP
This Rate is Guaranteed. Taxes, fees and extras, if not included in the rate, are subject to change.

optional items not included in the price

Available Optional Items at the Counter
Optional Information
Super Cover
weekly 124.74 GBP

Personal Accident Insurance / Personal Effects Coverage
weekly 48.30 GBP

Rates for Optional Items are inclusive of tax and other associated charges

Also expect the following

$7.50 per US Gal of gas - UK sells fuel by the litre - approx 1.30 at present

Most hire cars are diesel for which the fuel costs a bit more.

If you want an auto transmission - you must specify this - otherwise a stick shift will be provided

Oh and we drive on the left !!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:08 am

But on the plus side, you will use less fuel so the refuelling costs are likely to be lower than would be with a petrol vehicle

I have been renting in the UK recently and have not received a vehicle which auto switches off
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:13 am

Sorry... I have NEVER rented a car before. I'm going to be renting for the first time in September in the U.S.
ime , most of the cheaper rates include CDW and TP. As mentioned by holodoc, Hertz does offer an expensive Super_CDW cover at an additional cost. This I would recommend not taking out since the cost is high in relation to the risk; easy money for hertz

If you have AMEX coverage, they will cover the excess costs; I made a claim on it a few weeks ago and the insurers paid out within a week

Renting in UK is easy, just take the rates including CDW and TP and you really don't need to worry much; your liability is likely to be no more than GBP750

Dave
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
UK law requires all vehicles to have third party coverage provided by the registered keeper. So it is true that a third party cover is already in place through Hertz. However, there is a substatial excess (usually between 300 - 1000, depends on car group) for any damage to the car - whether it is your fault or not.
If you have insurance through a credit card provider - AND that coverage is extended to the UK - then this is fine. AmericanExpress do provide this cover to some of their card types in the UK, and I never have any arguments with Hertz counter staff about this. But there are loads of variations on this - you need to check the documentation that comes with your specific card.

Cultural differences.
Cars (below luxury level) will be manual transmission. If you need automatic this needs to be specifically reserved and it costs more.
Damage. So far as I can tell, in the US the rental companies only check that the car still has four wheels and an engine when you return. UK damage control procedures are much much stricter. Check the damage sheet before you drive away and make sure every scratch and mark is on the sheet.
Spouse. Policies that apply in the US - such as spouse can drive without any admin or paperwork - DO NOT apply in the UK. If a person is not named on the rental documents they are not on Hertz's UK insurance policy - and therefore driving without insurance.
Fuel. Most cars use diesel. Diesel comes from a black pump. Putting unleaded (green pump) in a diesel car and driving away will cause catostrophic damage to the fuel injection system - expect to be presented with a four figure repair bill.
Stop start. Because of ever tougher emission laws, many cars have automatic stop start (ie the engine will die when stopped in traffic). Wierd if you've not driven with this - you quickly get used to it.
Airport premium. This seems to be a significant cost on US rentals. There is much less difference between airport and downtown rates over here.
London Edinburgh York. Trying to drive (and park) in historic city centres is madness. You don't want a car in these cities.
Drive on the left.
Most of these are not a problem because A) Even though the car will be rented in my name, My fiance is going to be doing most of the driving atleast in the city, B) I'm not going to be using the car in Edinburgh or London.

She says that we're going to have to PAY to park everywhere we go...Oxford, Cambridge, Bath... that finding parking on the side of the road is like trying to find a spot in Boston.
Is this true?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Jatink 129

Below is a typical Hertz UK car hire

Selected Vehicle [Change]
(C) Vauxhall Astra or similar More Details
Unlimited Free Miles Included
1 week
Total Estimate Charge includes
Location Service Charge
Collision Damage Waiver
Theft Protection
Vehicle Licensing Fee and Road Tax
Tax and other charges
Vehicle Subtotal 159.90 GBP
Total Estimated Charge 159.90 GBP
This Rate is Guaranteed. Taxes, fees and extras, if not included in the rate, are subject to change.

optional items not included in the price

Available Optional Items at the Counter
Optional Information
Super Cover
weekly 124.74 GBP

Personal Accident Insurance / Personal Effects Coverage
weekly 48.30 GBP

Rates for Optional Items are inclusive of tax and other associated charges

Also expect the following

$7.50 per US Gal of gas - UK sells fuel by the litre - approx 1.30 at present

If you want an auto transmission - you must specify this - otherwise a stick shift will be provided

Oh and we drive on the left !!
Could you please also take a look at that search result I posted earlier, with $147 for a week's rental from Dollar?
Would a price like that have insurance included?

I had a talk with Amex, and they said that the primary car coverage that they offer would work in the U.K too!! WooHoo! So for $24.95 all damage to my car would be covered.

Oh they were quick to mention, that this coverage would only cover my car...so if I had an accident, and if it was my fault, then damage to the other car would not be covered...what type of insurance would cover THIS type of an incident?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:23 pm

Oh they were quick to mention, that this coverage would only cover my car...so if I had an accident, and if it was my fault, then damage to the other car would not be covered...what type of insurance would cover THIS type of an incident?
CDW covers your third party insurance - you need this in the UK -

your Amex covers your car - so no excess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.