Wiki Posts
Search

What is "I" Class

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC
What is "I" Class

Just wondering if it was above Premium (G) or above Luxury (H)? Seen a Hyd. Genesis at MCI with an "I" on the key tag.

Last edited by bhunt; May 24, 2012 at 6:38 pm
Old May 24, 2012, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
"I" (as in the letter "I", not "me") would be the actual luxury class, differentiated from "H" which is technically "Premier Premium"...
At SFO, the Genesis was recently offered as a replacement for a CTS.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Technically, I is above G and H! We've been discussing this a bit in the fleet list thread but I'm glad you brought it up

Technically, the following applies:
  • G - Premium (Buick Regal, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Nissan Maxima, Buick LaCrosse)
  • H - Premier Premium (Toyota Avalon; also Cadillac DTS, STS, Lincoln Town Car, MKZ, occasionally Maxima and LaCrosse)
  • YH - Specialty Premier Premium (Cadillac CTS, Town Car, occasionally Maxima and LaCrosse)
  • I - Luxury (Chrysler 300, now Hyundai Genesis)
  • YI - Specialty Luxury (Volvo S60 (which is Prestige Collection?))
(Key difference between Y_ and _ is that Y_, or "Specialty ___", basically means you cannot reserve that specific class, and can only be placed in it on the day of rental.)

Since so many cars were classified as H or YH they were just called "Luxury" but technically they're not... If you check out the fleet list there's the Toyota Avalon is listed by itself in the Premier Premium category.

I did some speculating also, what I think might be happening is that they're trying to condense the Premium through Luxury categories into one big family as the Ford Panther platform and older Cadillacs phase out. In this case, G/H/I would ultimately consist of the Buick Regal, LaCrosse, Nissan Maxima, Chrysler 300, Hyundai Genesis, and Lincoln MKZ. This leaves the Cadillac(s) and Volvo S60 to be exclusively in the Prestige Collection (although the 300 and Genesis could theoretically go to Prestige also).

Alternatively, perhaps they're planning on introducing Premier Premium as a bookable class. Would be a lot better than the scenario I described above, although I'm sure some cars would be re-classified (CTS to I perhaps, etc.).

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.