Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Full size from Dallas / Fort Worth - what can I hope for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Hi Folks

Hope you can help someone from 'The Old Country - (1st Gen. Scots / Irish) out here. My 18 year old daughter and I are taking a 'music themed' road trip from mid June. I have a Full-size reservation from Hertz, to collect and return to DFW. I booked with Hertz, as they won a recent award for US rental companies - but now I'm worried!

A list on here shows a VW Golf as a Hertz full-size option!!!! I booked on the understanding that 'Fullsize' meant an Impala or similar!

We're covering probably around 2500 miles. I want something comfortable, reasonably economical - but it has to be bigger than a Golf!!!

I called Hertz DFW yesterday, and they said Mazda 6 / Mitsubishi Galant (should that be an 'F'?) / Ford Fusion or Chevrolet Impala.

What is likely, what should I hold out for? Here in Scotland, I drive a Ford Mondeo (the Ford which the 2013 Fusion is a development of), my daughter & wife share a Ford Focus. I guess we're looking for something at least 2013 Fusion size.

I'm asking you guys for your opinions, since my recent rental experience in the US has always been with our whole family - usually a Grand Caravan / Town & Country minivan

Any comments appreciated

Thanks in Anticipation

KSR

Last edited by kennethsross; May 25, 2012 at 10:40 am
Old May 25, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kennethsross
Hi Folks

Hope you can help someone from 'The Old Country - (1st Gen. Scots / Irish) out here. My 18 year old daughter and I are taking a 'music themed' road trip from mid June. I have a Full-size reservation from Hertz, to collect and return to DFW. I booked with Hertz, as they won a recent award for US rental companies - but now I'm worried!

A list on here shows a VW Golf as a Hertz full-size option!!!! I booked on the understanding that 'Fullsize' meant an Impala or similar!

We're covering probably around 2500 miles. I want something comfortable, reasonably economical - but it has to be bigger than a Golf!!!

I called Hertz DFW yesterday, and they said Mazda 6 / Mitsubishi Galant (should that be an 'F'?) / Ford Fusion or Chevrolet Impala.

What is likely, what should I hold out for? Here in Scotland, I drive a Ford Mondeo (the Ford which the 2013 Fusion is a development of), my daughter & wife share a Ford Focus. I guess we're looking for something at least 2013 Fusion size.

I'm asking you guys for your opinions, since my recent rental experience in the US has always been with our whole family - usually a Grand Caravan / Town & Country minivan

Any comments appreciated

Thanks in Anticipation

KSR
DFW is terrible for upgrades. You should expect a Chevy Malibu/Impala or the likes. A Fusion would actually be better (in my opinion) than either of those cars.
Old May 25, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Mazda6 is a F, Galant is technically D but it's been everything from YC to F, Fusion is F but should be D (I'd say turn it down unless it has a V6, it would say "3.0" somewhere in the vehicle name on the receipt, the ones with the Duratec I4 suck), and the newer Impalas (IMHO) are pretty good. Of the four I'd say the Mazda or Impala are the best; I recently rented an Impala LTZ and it was one of the nicest non-collection cars I've rented, but don't count on getting one of those.

I'd also say don't be surprised if they offer you a Malibu (which should be fine), an Altima (which should also be fine), or an Avenger (which, like the Fusion, should be D).

-J.
Old May 26, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold
Never heard of a golf being a full size, but either way i agree with both other posters. I have also heard of Camrys being considered full size and i think that would be a great option along with the Mazda 6 or a high end Impala
Old May 26, 2012, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by bigboi
Never heard of a golf being a full size, but either way i agree with both other posters. I have also heard of Camrys being considered full size and i think that would be a great option along with the Mazda 6 or a high end Impala
Someone got a F-tagged Golf at a San Francisco HLE (see this post from the Upgrades thread)... I think it's very unlikely that you'll actually get this, but I added it to the fleet list since it does exist

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.