FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Hertz 24/7 (was Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect)) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1232947-hertz-24-7-hertz-demand-hertz-connect.html)

FlyinHawaiian Sep 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by uncle wiggily (Post 17091560)
Are there HOD parking lots in Brooklyn?

Looks like there are at least two: one at the LIU campus on DeKalb and one on North 5th and Kent.

I think it took less than a week for me to get the HOD credentials after the confirmation letter.

xienon Sep 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by uncle wiggily (Post 17091560)
On Friday, 9.9.11, I received the following email:
" Are there HOD parking lots in Brooklyn? I have yet to find out where they are in NYC or the rates but, hopefully, all will be revealed when I receive the "device."

Only two locations in brooklyn as mentioned previously but lots of locations (at least 30) in Manhattan. That said, zipcar has many times the number of locations as HOD but HOD has a more interesting selection of vehicles (like Mercedes GLK, Dodge Challenger, Volvo C30, Nissan Leaf, and Caddy Escalade just to name a few)

uncle wiggily Sep 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 17076216)
I applied for Hertz On Demand over two weeks ago. It was much better than Zipcar with no annual fee and airport one way rentals. I have not heard back and there is no place that I can see on the website to check the status of my application.

I have now received all of the information and have gone online twice in hopes of arranging a 1-way rental from LGA into NYC. The website is "challenging." Yes, I was able to set up what I wanted but it took more time than I was willing to invest.

I will probably continue but am hoping that the website will become more user-friendly.

FlyinHawaiian Sep 21, 2011 2:19 pm

The mobile app is slightly better IMO. It's still branded as "Hertz Connect" though.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm

I was recently approved. I would likely use the service the first time for an early morning flight departure. I understand the web site is a bit difficult but my concern would be the first time I actually went to pick up a vehicle. Anything I should know. Needless to say, with a flight to catch I would have little time to try to figure something out or be on the phone to a CSR.

FlyinHawaiian Oct 2, 2011 12:10 pm

I did (well, kinda, but we'll get to that in a bit) my first on Demand rental; it was a one way from LGA into Manhattan.

I decided to give on Demand a try as I was arriving into LGA pretty late and I'm not keen on doing the bus/subway at that hour. The rate for one hour is cheaper than a taxi, so it seems like a good deal if you don't mind doing the driving and can find a drop lot close to your destination.

To get the car at LGA, you take the Hertz shuttle and get off at the Gold Canopy stop. There are two stalls in the canopy area for on Demand; they are right by the display board and are hard to miss.

Now for the details of my rental experience...

My reservation was for 11:45 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. Because my flight into LGA was delayed, I used the mobile app to move the rental to 12:15 a.m. to 1:15 a.m. We made up some time in route so when we landed, I changed the time to 12:05 a.m. to 1:05 a.m. I was expecting an SMS or email from Hertz to let me know which car I should take, but didn't receive one so I tried my card on the readers of both cars. It unlocked one (Ford Fiesta) but not the other (Jeep Patriot). However, when I tried the ignition key on the Ford, the car would not start. I called the 800 help number and was able to speak to a rep right away. She determined that I was supposed to use the Jeep but was unable to send a signal to unlock it. She also tried to send a signal to the Ford to allow it to start but that didn't work. We tried for at least 10 minutes. It was getting late, it was cold and raining, and I had been up since 5 a.m. The agent could tell I was tired and offered me a a refund of my fare if I took a taxi. I didn't feel like taking the shuttle back to the terminal, so asked if I could just rent a regular car from the lot. The agent agreed and it took about five minutes for her to enter a reservation for me. She used a Hertz corporate account for the charges and said that I would only be charged for the cost of the on Demand rental. When that was done, I went into the LGA office and worked with the agent to complete my rental.

I asked for a midsize with NeverLost and they were able to produce a Corolla. The LDW was added to the rate along with the charge for the NL. Since the Local Edition office didn't open until later today, they also gave me until 7 p.m. today to return the car.

So, overall, my first on Demand rental is an incomplete. I have a few more late evening flights this month so might try it again. At least I understand how the process is supposed to work.

Things I liked:

• The mobile app works good for locating cars and modifying reservations; I think it's a better interface than the website.
  • Customer support is really good. I was impressed on the quality of agent I got on a Saturday night after midnight. She was very helpful, showed empathy, and worked with me on an acceptable solution.

Things I didn't like:

• The technology seems a little buggy and unreliable. I was expecting a message to tell me which car to take that I never received and then the cars at the lot didn't work.
  • The Hertz shuttle driver wasn't aware of what on Demand was and directed me to the main office in LGA where I had to wait in line for about 10 minutes only to be told the cars were outside and I had to do was use my entry card and drive off.
  • With all of the problems in getting my car, I'd say I was delayed about 45 min in getting on the road. That's bad enough, but when you are tired and cranky, it gets worse.
  • We'll see how the billing goes for my rental. I was told that I was responsible for the fuel driven (I was charged the a la carte prices for all of the things that are included in an on Demand rental, the LDW, NL, and fuel) but could get a refund if I sent the receipt in.

jackal Oct 2, 2011 6:52 pm

Got my Hertz On Demand credentials yesterday. I love how is much professional Hertz Connect are! :p

First impression: window of the envelope. Apparently I live in Anchorage, AL. I know there is an Anchorage, KY; they're only a couple states off from there. (I logged into my account online to check, and it's a mail merge fail: my address online correctly shows AK with my ZIP+4, whereas the envelope just had the 5-digit ZIP.)

Second impression: open up the envelope and look at the pretty card. Flip the card over: my member ID is stuck on the card with an adhesive label...about 10 degrees off from level.

Umm, product rushed too quickly to market, anyone? ;)

Rut Dog Oct 3, 2011 3:45 pm

One-Way to Airport - Don't book it online!

If you want a one-way rental to the airport, book a regular single day at your HLE as cheap as you can. This is often a very good use for one-day points redemption.

Then call the HLE and let them know you want to return it at the airport. I've done this a dozen+ times and never been charged.

I also tell them I'm OK with cars that are not perfect: engine light on, maintenance required, dinged windshield, even cars that are dirty and need special cleaning.

Basically, they help me by giving me an easy ride to airport, and I help them by taking a car they have to get to the airport anyway.

dagrin Oct 3, 2011 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rut Dog (Post 17214417)
If you want a one-way rental to the airport, book a regular single day at your HLE as cheap as you can. This is often a very good use for one-day points redemption.

Then call the HLE and let them know you want to return it at the airport. I've done this a dozen+ times and never been charged.

I also tell them I'm OK with cars that are not perfect: engine light on, maintenance required, dinged windshield, even cars that are dirty and need special cleaning.

Basically, they help me by giving me an easy ride to airport, and I help them by taking a car they have to get to the airport anyway.

While I have done this as well, a glitch-free Hertz on Demand would seemingly be a better option for only $14 dollars if the airport is under an hour away...

FlyinHawaiian Oct 3, 2011 6:01 pm

I plan on using on Demand to the airport if I have an early morning flight; most of the HLE in Manhattan don't open before 630, so if you have a flight any earlier than 8, that's not going to work. Anytime later than 8, I will probably take the subway/bus/airtrain or use the normal Hertz one-way to the airport and get the points.

xienon Oct 3, 2011 7:44 pm

Hertz on Demand definitely has a lot of bugs to iron out.

A couple of experiences
- Every Smart EV's reservation in Manhattan will be cancelled 15 minutes before the reservation starts due to "low battery". Tried this 5 times at least.
- Certain cars that aren't actually there can be reserved a week ahead of time, but not within a week. The reservation will be changed to another car the day before the reservation. Experienced this a few times with GLK's and Volvo C70's that have been removed from the fleet.
- Last time I tried to book a one way, a bunch of generic "mid-size sedans" showed up with no mention of the plate #. So which car am I supposed to pick if I actually tried to make the reservation? I suppose this is similar to FlyinHawaiian's experience.

However, if I just do a normal round-trip with common car like a Fiesta, Patriot or Malibu, the system works like a charm and has better last minute availability in NYC than zipcar.

ijgordon Oct 7, 2011 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by xienon (Post 17215723)
Hertz on Demand definitely has a lot of bugs to iron out.

Well, they seem to have ironed some out since the launch of ConnectbyHertz. You can actually get through to a person on the phone now, it used to require 30+ minutes on hold. Still not sure if they'll let you update your credit card info and/or driver's license info online, fairly recently I had to call in. And the website lets you enter a ZIP code, before it would show the entire NYC area and you had to zoom in and pan to your neighborhood, which was a very slow process. And the iPhone App seems to work pretty well too.

No experience with the one-way rentals though (although I have done regular Hertz Drive ur-self TO the Airport & Save).

xienon Oct 8, 2011 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 17238954)
Well, they seem to have ironed some out since the launch of ConnectbyHertz.

Good point, I forgot just how bad the old connect website was. Zipcar's website is still quite a bit better than Hertz's. The one thing that's good about Hertz's website over zipcar is that you can see the plate # of the car w/o making a reservation, so I know exactly how old the car is.

During a rental last Friday night, I had to wait about 20 minutes on hold to get a person when I tried to extend my reservation. On the up side, you can change your credit card info on the website now.

FlyinHawaiian Oct 11, 2011 4:54 am

I had a slightly better one-way from LGA last night than my previous one, but there were still a few small problems.

1. This time, I received an SMS telling me the make, color, and plate of the car I was assigned (Chevy Cruze), so that was nice. However, at LGA, the car wasn't parked in the On Demand spaces. I had to ask a lot attendent for help in finding it (it was parked against the wall by the car wash).

2. Once again, the car wouldn't start, but this time the call center agent was able to send the code to unlock the ignition.

3. The car was pretty banged up with a nice crease on the front fender and a dent on the rear quarter pannel. It took some time to report this and make sure it was noted.

One nice thing I will mention is that my flight into LGA came in late and past my scheduled pick up time so I had to extend the return time. Upon completion of the rental I called the call center and they were nice enough to adjust the reservation to reflect the actual time I had the car and lowered my bill accordingly.

I have to say that the mobile app is very good for changing reservations on the fly and the button to call the help desk is invaluable.

jacklee Oct 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast (Post 17025816)
Or you could do the Manhattan airport shuttle rate, pickup from EWR or LGA on Thursday night, return to Manhattan within 24 hours. Rates start at $20 plus tax for an economy car, $24 plus tax for a fullsize, with the AAA CDP. No coupon is necessary. The reverse is pick up from Manhattan on Sunday night or Monday morning, return to EWR, LGA, or JFK within 24 hours.

do you have a link?