Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Munich Rental Advice - Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Munich Rental Advice - Diesel?

This is my first post to this forum, and I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

My wife and I are heading to Germany, Austria, and Czech Rep. for 2 weeks in May on our honeymoon and are making Munich our home base. In reading through some of the other posts, it appears that taking advantage of my AAA membership may have the most benefit. However, I have never rented a car in Eurpoe before so I am looking for some general advice on how to get the best rate, things to watch out for, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with the Kia Ceed or other compact/midsize diesel vehicle? I have read that diesel prices are typically lower than gas in Europe, so I was looking at going that route - any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PJ
Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:31 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Hello,

I have rented from Hertz Munich Airport, with the last time being in summer 2009.

You definitely would want a diesel for Europe. I would even suggest paying the premium (10-15 euro) if there is one for the advantage of better fuel economy and savings at the pump- especially if you are planning some distance driving. It's a similar advantage to the Prius when in the US. IF you are just renting for the day or short term, then I wouldn't bother and just stick with gas.

When I was there, I reserved a BMW 1 Series (116i) hatchback (green series subcompact) through the website. I was upgraded to a VW Passat CC 2.0 TDI, likely thanks to 5 Star.

Keep in mind that unless you have a lot of luggage, a smaller vehicle is much more suited for European roads and getting in and out of towns (unless you plan doing a lot of ripping around the Autobahn) Even the Passat CC was quite large by European size stands. Probably something BMW 3 series or Audi A4 sized would fit well.

At the time, the gold level had it's own floor at the top of the parkade, connected to the terminal. At the time that I visited, there were only 2 cars parked up there, in an area that could hold 20-30 cars.

The only other thing worth noting is that, in their German efficiency, they were not pleased that I was 60 minutes late returning the vehicle behind the specified contract time. The rapid return attendant refused to print out my slip, and directed me inside. The charge was equivalent to a day's rental. I was preparing to ask for the car back when they waived the charge. The counter inside the airport told me it was "lucky" that I was a Gold member, otherwise I would have been charged.The liberties of getting away with this in the USA not so much compared to Germany!

Overall a good rental experience.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Aeroplan
Hello, Diesel is cheaper than regular unleaded in most European countries, and Diesel vehicle offer better fuel economy - but also unpleasant vibrations and noise! Only worth if you plan to drive long distance.
Bear in mind that unless you specifically book an automatic, you will receive a manual stick vehicle.
And if there is only the two of you, do not book anything larger than a midsize or compact, this will make your life much easier when it comes to parking! European small cars are very good and as comfortable as full size cars.
Be very careful with speed limits, there are radars everywhere and the fines are extremely high.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:59 am

If you drive a lot, you should ask for a Diesel. Diesel is cheaper and Diesel cars consume less fuel compared to an equivalent engine.

You should inform the rental station that you would like to go to Czech Republik. Hertz (and other companies) do not allow you to take Audi, BMW, Mercedes or VW there.

The KIA C'eed is a horrible car: As it is your honeymoon I would suggest to rent at least a standard car (like the Ford Mondeo).
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:01 am

" unpleasant vibrations and noise "
that used to be true, but in 99% of modern diesels sold in Europe now you'd be hard pressed to tell whether you're driving a diesel or a petrol. They are smooth and very economical.

I wouldn't call the c'eed awful, but it's not the best car I've driven recently. If there was a choice of something else (such as a Focus or Golf) then I'd definitely choose one of those instead.

A gentle reminder that the default for rental cars in Europe is manual transmission - you need to speficially reserve (and pay extra for) automatic if you need/want that.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:35 am
Alt

Programs: BD (RIP); BA
Also recommend getting GPS navigation to help you around although depending on the cost it might be cheaper just to buy one at a shop in Germany.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
" unpleasant vibrations and noise "
that used to be true, but in 99% of modern diesels sold in Europe now you'd be hard pressed to tell whether you're driving a diesel or a petrol. They are smooth and very economical.
One cannot decently describe a diesel 4 cylinder as smooth, recent Diesels are indeed smoother but always noisier - especially when you stop with the engine running or during acceleration. We are used to these in Europe, but it could be a shock for an American driver!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys so far everyone. My wife and I can both drive manual (definitely the minorty here in the US), so that won't be a problem. I will also look into possibly upgrading from the C'eed to midsize diesel if I can. Anyone know off hand what the diesel stock is like at the Munich airport?

PJ
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Please mind the post above about checking and driving into CZ from DE.

Most, if not all, CWE Hertz do not allow driving into CEE countries. (never mind the actual brand of car).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.