Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finding a better flight from LIH-KOA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Finding a better flight from LIH-KOA

Looking for a flight from LIH-KOA on Feb 23. I was hoping to fly late at like 9pm or so, so that I could have the whole day on kauai.

While there is a flight like almost every hour from HNL-KOA for some reason they all stop at 8pm. Is there a reason for this. It means I have to leave LIH much earlier than I wanted. In the other direction you could fly to LIH, leaving KOA after 8pm.

Also the evening flights are pretty pricey. The last hawaiian flight is at 540pm and is $180. Go is at 630pm and is $142. Only other option is hawaiian at 441pm for $111. These are pricier than I was expecting except maybe the $111 but that is about 4 hours earlier than i would like.

Are there are options I am overlooking. Anywhere I can buy tickets cheaper.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:50 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
No, unfortunately those are your only options.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Interisland flights have become obscenely expensive unless you book months in advance.

I waited until about 3 weeks out and had to pony up nearly $200 per ticket... for a 20 minute flight
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Unfortunately, almost everything runs through HNL and Hawaiian is virtually a monopoly now that Aloha Airlines is gone.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Rural (which is pretty much almost everything other than Honolulu) Hawai`i is still very much oriented to "plantation time." Things shut down early (by mainland urban standards) but things are moving waaaaay early in the morning. (I once had someone -- a retired sugar plantation worker who was in the fields no later than 6am each day -- call me at 6:30 a.m. and said "I knew you like to sleep late, so I waited to call you.")
Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mktozd
Unfortunately, almost everything runs through HNL and Hawaiian is virtually a monopoly now that Aloha Airlines is gone.
go! Mokulele usually has cheaper rates but not as many flights, I believe. Right cblaisd? And they rate right up there with a Tsunami.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Rural (which is pretty much almost everything other than Honolulu) Hawai`i is still very much oriented to "plantation time." Things shut down early (by mainland urban standards) but things are moving waaaaay early in the morning. (I once had someone -- a retired sugar plantation worker who was in the fields no later than 6am each day -- call me at 6:30 a.m. and said "I knew you like to sleep late, so I waited to call you.")
I find it rather odd that HA would have later flights to and from OGG and LIH (leaving HNL around 9:45 ish) but not KOA and ITO (last ones leave before 8ish). I suppose it's really a matter of demand and length of flight and the fact that there's probably a lot less folks connecting to ITO/KOA than OGG/LIH.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I find it rather odd that HA would have later flights to and from OGG and LIH (leaving HNL around 9:45 ish) but not KOA and ITO (last ones leave before 8ish). I suppose it's really a matter of demand and length of flight and the fact that there's probably a lot less folks connecting to ITO/KOA than OGG/LIH.
But why are there flights that leave KOA later. Going HNL-KOA the latest flight is 735pm. Going KOA-HNL there is 659pm, 805pm, and 848pm. From LIH-KOA, the last hawaiian flight is at 540pm. In the other direction its not until 805pm. The lack of a late HNL-KOA flight makes no sense to me.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by hindukid
But why are there flights that leave KOA later. Going HNL-KOA the latest flight is 735pm. Going KOA-HNL there is 659pm, 805pm, and 848pm. From LIH-KOA, the last hawaiian flight is at 540pm. In the other direction its not until 805pm. The lack of a late HNL-KOA flight makes no sense to me.
Later flights KOA-HNL allow people to spend the day and then connect to mainland (redeye) flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.