FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   west coast of Oahu inhospitable to tourists? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2017845-west-coast-oahu-inhospitable-tourists.html)

JNelson113 May 16, 2020 11:22 am

west coast of Oahu inhospitable to tourists?

Hi all,
Not a coronavirus question here, but asking for a friend. She has not been to Oahu since the 90s and is looking at booking a rental house on the west side of Oahu for her family (herself, husband, two kids 9 and 14) once restrictions are lifted. They enjoy going on dolphin tours and that is why she is targeting that particular area. I had a vague recollection that this area is known as having locals who are not necessarily very friendly to tourists and that there are more reports of crimes against tourists in that area. I'm sure that's not true of the entire area, of course, but just wondering so that I could advise her. Thanks for any advice.

FlyinHawaiian May 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Where, exactly? Ewa Beach, Makakilo, and the Ko Olina neighborhoods could be considered "West Coast" and have a much different vibe than places like Makaha, Nanakuli, and Waianae.

JNelson113 May 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 32381074)
Where, exactly? Ewa Beach, Makakilo, and the Ko Olina neighborhoods could be considered "West Coast" and have a much different vibe than places like Makaha, Nanakuli, and Waianae.

Thanks, I'm not quite sure where she is looking; she just said west Oahu which tripped my memory. I have read some not as great things about the Waianae area as far as friendliness to visitors, so when she told me that she was looking at house rentals I told her that I would ask here. I have stayed in various parts of Oahu but not in the west. I appreciate any advice that I can pass on. Thanks!

HawaiiSailor May 17, 2020 1:00 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113 (Post 32381218)
Thanks, I'm not quite sure where she is looking; she just said west Oahu which tripped my memory. I have read some not as great things about the Waianae area as far as friendliness to visitors, so when she told me that she was looking at house rentals I told her that I would ask here. I have stayed in various parts of Oahu but not in the west. I appreciate any advice that I can pass on. Thanks!

Any further west than Ko Olina would be rather inconvenient for most visitors due to the distance and the (usually) horrific rush hour traffic. But it’s definitely worth a visit; it’s one of the prettiest parts of the island with plenty of empty beaches you can park near, if not on. The Kahumana organic farm out that way is great lunch stop.

Hipplewm May 17, 2020 5:48 am

Once you get past Ko Olina I don’t think there are any hotels (I haven’t lived there since 1999 - before Disney bought Ko Olina)

Generally that area wasn’t tourist friendly and there were always multiple reports on the news of mugging and petty theft from tourists. As pointed out above, it is some of the best beaches on the Island though, it is also a much different climate than the east side or even Waikiki area. Much more arid.

JNelson113 May 17, 2020 6:51 am

Thanks so much, all. She was looking at rental houses in Makaha. Sounds like that might not be the best place to be.

HawaiiSailor May 17, 2020 10:08 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113 (Post 32382414)
Thanks so much, all. She was looking at rental houses in Makaha. Sounds like that might not be the best place to be.

Very pretty area, great beaches. But very inconvenient location for going anywhere else. Note there is no road around the western tip of the island connecting to the north shore. Also the rental may be illegal, and may be contributing to the islands housing shortage, potentially displacing a local family.

JNelson113 May 17, 2020 11:09 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor (Post 32382813)
Very pretty area, great beaches. But very inconvenient location for going anywhere else. Note there is no road around the western tip of the island connecting to the north shore. Also the rental may be illegal, and may be contributing to the islands housing shortage, potentially displacing a local family.

Thanks very much. She decided to rent in Diamond Head, which is probably a better fit. She and I appreciate the information!

HeadphonesAndVodkaSoda May 17, 2020 12:41 pm

That's a good call. Ko Olina is actually pretty boring, and who knows how many of the interesting things would even re-open. My family has a place on Ewa Beach, and it's crazy far from pretty much everything worth doing, even if you get a real locals experience (and great food in Waipahu, down through Aiea).

Finkface May 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113 (Post 32382929)
Thanks very much. She decided to rent in Diamond Head, which is probably a better fit. She and I appreciate the information!

Make sure it is a legal rental. Ask if they have a NUC (non-conforming use certificate, needed to operate a vacation rental <30 days). I would bet that they do not and are, in fact, an illegal rental. Hopefully, I am wrong and they do have one (or she is renting for +30 days), but I suspect not.

JNelson113 May 18, 2020 11:34 am

Thanks, all. I've passed along all this info. She's now planning to reserve a rental unit at the Diamond Head Beach Hotel, which seems to be a good fit with all the feedback here.

Thanks again for the advice!