Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

west coast of Oahu inhospitable to tourists?

Old May 16, 20, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire

Hi all,
Not a coronavirus question here, but asking for a friend. She has not been to Oahu since the 90s and is looking at booking a rental house on the west side of Oahu for her family (herself, husband, two kids 9 and 14) once restrictions are lifted. They enjoy going on dolphin tours and that is why she is targeting that particular area. I had a vague recollection that this area is known as having locals who are not necessarily very friendly to tourists and that there are more reports of crimes against tourists in that area. I'm sure that's not true of the entire area, of course, but just wondering so that I could advise her. Thanks for any advice.
Old May 16, 20, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Where, exactly? Ewa Beach, Makakilo, and the Ko Olina neighborhoods could be considered "West Coast" and have a much different vibe than places like Makaha, Nanakuli, and Waianae.
747FC and cawhite like this.
Old May 16, 20, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Where, exactly? Ewa Beach, Makakilo, and the Ko Olina neighborhoods could be considered "West Coast" and have a much different vibe than places like Makaha, Nanakuli, and Waianae.
Thanks, I'm not quite sure where she is looking; she just said west Oahu which tripped my memory. I have read some not as great things about the Waianae area as far as friendliness to visitors, so when she told me that she was looking at house rentals I told her that I would ask here. I have stayed in various parts of Oahu but not in the west. I appreciate any advice that I can pass on. Thanks!
Old May 17, 20, 1:00 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
Thanks, I'm not quite sure where she is looking; she just said west Oahu which tripped my memory. I have read some not as great things about the Waianae area as far as friendliness to visitors, so when she told me that she was looking at house rentals I told her that I would ask here. I have stayed in various parts of Oahu but not in the west. I appreciate any advice that I can pass on. Thanks!
Any further west than Ko Olina would be rather inconvenient for most visitors due to the distance and the (usually) horrific rush hour traffic. But itís definitely worth a visit; itís one of the prettiest parts of the island with plenty of empty beaches you can park near, if not on. The Kahumana organic farm out that way is great lunch stop.

Last edited by HawaiiSailor; May 17, 20 at 1:05 am
Old May 17, 20, 5:48 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Once you get past Ko Olina I don’t think there are any hotels (I haven’t lived there since 1999 - before Disney bought Ko Olina)

Generally that area wasn’t tourist friendly and there were always multiple reports on the news of mugging and petty theft from tourists. As pointed out above, it is some of the best beaches on the Island though, it is also a much different climate than the east side or even Waikiki area. Much more arid.
Old May 17, 20, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much, all. She was looking at rental houses in Makaha. Sounds like that might not be the best place to be.
Old May 17, 20, 10:08 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Thanks so much, all. She was looking at rental houses in Makaha. Sounds like that might not be the best place to be.
Very pretty area, great beaches. But very inconvenient location for going anywhere else. Note there is no road around the western tip of the island connecting to the north shore. Also the rental may be illegal, and may be contributing to the islands housing shortage, potentially displacing a local family.
Old May 17, 20, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor View Post
Very pretty area, great beaches. But very inconvenient location for going anywhere else. Note there is no road around the western tip of the island connecting to the north shore. Also the rental may be illegal, and may be contributing to the islands housing shortage, potentially displacing a local family.
Thanks very much. She decided to rent in Diamond Head, which is probably a better fit. She and I appreciate the information!
Old May 17, 20, 12:41 pm

That's a good call. Ko Olina is actually pretty boring, and who knows how many of the interesting things would even re-open. My family has a place on Ewa Beach, and it's crazy far from pretty much everything worth doing, even if you get a real locals experience (and great food in Waipahu, down through Aiea).
Old May 17, 20, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thanks very much. She decided to rent in Diamond Head, which is probably a better fit. She and I appreciate the information!
Make sure it is a legal rental. Ask if they have a NUC (non-conforming use certificate, needed to operate a vacation rental <30 days). I would bet that they do not and are, in fact, an illegal rental. Hopefully, I am wrong and they do have one (or she is renting for +30 days), but I suspect not.
PDXFlyBoy likes this.
Old May 18, 20, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I've passed along all this info. She's now planning to reserve a rental unit at the Diamond Head Beach Hotel, which seems to be a good fit with all the feedback here.

Thanks again for the advice!
HawaiiSailor likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: