FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   What Do Men (gay FTers) Find Romantic? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/768108-what-do-men-gay-fters-find-romantic.html)

thadocta Dec 17, 2007 10:13 am

Originally Posted by USFreak (Post 8899923)
Just a masculine, football watching, beer drinking man.........all 3 not found in the gay world

OI! I resemble that remark - I'm a fireman, I watch football (REAL football, Aussie Rules version, that is) and I drink beer (real beer, not the sort you have in the USA).

Dave

SFOTRAVELER Dec 17, 2007 10:49 am

Just a few weeks after 9/11, my Air Force sergeant boyfriend received very short notice that he was being shipped off to Uzbekistan. It was a crazy time running around buying things for his deployment that had no end date, and taking care of financial and legal matters.

Fortunately, we had email contact for 6 months, but I received a phone call late one night. He asked me if I had enough miles to get over there to hold his hand through the fence surrounding the compound. I later received a bouquet of beautiful sunflowers on Valentines Day that he had ordered online from Afghanistan.

So what do I find romantic? Knowing I'm loved even without having to hear it.

Derek Dec 17, 2007 11:04 am

Originally Posted by SingaPaul (Post 8910590)
It is ok to do that in public??? I usually do the kiss before getting out of the car... There is only one time i did it while out of the car... I felt bad for the retired couples park right behind us at that time... And come to think of it, i wasn't even sure if there were kids in those cars... Maybe it is just me... it just doesn't seem quite right to do that infront of kids or where kids could see...

I feel very sorry for you.

As for the subject of this thread, just that is very romantic, a goodbye or welcome home kiss before security or in the baggage hall. Getting driven to the airport at 4:30 in the morning, picked up after midnight.

SJC1K Dec 17, 2007 11:19 am

Originally Posted by SFOTRAVELER (Post 8910831)
I received a phone call late one night. He asked me if I had enough miles to get over there to hold his hand through the fence surrounding the compound.

That is the most romantic thing I've heard in a long time. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes at work.

thadocta Dec 17, 2007 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 8910921)

As for the subject of this thread, just that is very romantic, a goodbye or welcome home kiss before security or in the baggage hall. Getting driven to the airport at 4:30 in the morning, picked up after midnight.

Why not after security, just before the gate agent scans your boarding pass? You walk to the agent, hand-in-hand, you kiss and cuddle, then seperate, and then hand the BP to the agent, it is scanned, you then walk down the jet-way, looking back for one last fleeting glance!

Now THAT is romantic!

Dave

SingaPaul Dec 17, 2007 11:44 am

Originally Posted by SamOF (Post 8910635)
Would you feel uncomfortable kissing a woman in front of kids?

That, i feel uncomfortable... in front of kids or not... i would feel even more uncomfortable if no one is around... ;) Not that there is anything wrong with it... :D

Originally Posted by SamOF (Post 8910635)
If it's not kissing itself you find objectionable, then I'm not sure why you would have a problem doing it in front of kids :confused:

I would love to have the general public exercise sensitivity to what i... "choose" would be a bad choice of word... i mean what i adopt as a lifestyle... And in the same gesture, i ask myself to extend the same sensitivity to the general public... and especially the kids... respect runs both way and it can't be demanded... only earned... IMHO...

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 8910921)

Thanks... But don't cry for me... I just bought a ticket to watch Evita...

SingaPaul Dec 17, 2007 11:52 am

Originally Posted by SFOTRAVELER (Post 8910831)
...I received a phone call late one night. He asked me if I had enough miles to get over there to hold his hand through the fence surrounding the compound...
So what do I find romantic? Knowing I'm loved even without having to hear it.

Yepper, that sure is very romantic...

Rule #2, making a FTer feels loved without uttering "i love u"... :D

Now, we need more examples on how to do just that...

SamOF Dec 17, 2007 4:24 pm

I would love to have the general public exercise sensitivity to what i... "choose" would be a bad choice of word... i mean what i adopt as a lifestyle... And in the same gesture, i ask myself to extend the same sensitivity to the general public... and especially the kids... respect runs both way and it can't be demanded... only earned... IMHO...
I understand that sentiment...but honestly I think being sensitive to homophobia just makes those who aren't comfortable with the "lifestyle choice" think that they're right--- that you're doing something sinful and should be ashamed.

Furthermore, I think that the most real kindness you can give kids is examples of well adjusted, happy gay people that the kids see in their everyday lives. In fact, I think that applies to more than kids. *That's* how we earn respect.

Sorry to hijack the thread :) My boyfriend flips out whenever I'm flying, so I could use the tips. :p

fooko2002 Dec 17, 2007 5:06 pm

If I was constantly wondering if children or old people were around before displaying my affection for my partner, I would be spending a lot of time thinking and not nearly enough time acting.

The vast majority of straight couples I know would not hesitate for a simple PDA, especially at the airport, and I am not going to hesitate either.

I'm not sure how one is sensitive towards children by not displaying a common act of love with their partner. For fear that someone filled with hate might respond to your action? The logic seems to fail me on this point.

Ready2Go Dec 17, 2007 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by DCAKen (Post 8909844)
What I find even more romantic is when he's waiting for you at the other side of security after you've gotten off the plane.

OK, but if he were really romantic he would buy a refundable ticket, come through security, and meet you at the gate. (We're talking about what it takes to impress an FTer, after all.) ;)

SJC1K Dec 17, 2007 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by fooko2002 (Post 8912947)
The vast majority of straight couples I know would not hesitate for a simple PDA, especially at the airport, and I am not going to hesitate either.

Me neither. It used to take some nerve to do it, but I'll do any PDA with a same-sex partner that I would consider acceptable and tasteful as an opposite-sex PDA. I'm kind of conservative as to opposite-sex PDAs--that comes from growing up Lutheran in the Midwest--so I don't think an extended public session of tonsil hockey is appropriate for any combination of sexes, but I won't hesitate to give a warm hug and quick, chaste kiss at the airport.

SFOTRAVELER Dec 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by SJC1K (Post 8913348)
Me neither. It used to take some nerve to do it, but I'll do any PDA with a same-sex partner that I would consider acceptable and tasteful as an opposite-sex PDA. I'm kind of conservative as to opposite-sex PDAs--that comes from growing up Lutheran in the Midwest--so I don't think an extended public session of tonsil hockey is appropriate for any combination of sexes, but I won't hesitate to give a warm hug and quick, chaste kiss at the airport.

Right on, exactly. I never hesitated to kiss on departure or arrival at either SFO or LAX. Nobody cares.

DenverBrian Dec 17, 2007 8:50 pm

Two big things for me and my BF...

--Cuddling. There is nothing in the universe like flopping on the sectional, his head in my lap, watching Game Show Network or a PPV movie. That's some good times.

--Crossword puzzles. For some reason, we've taken to filling out a crossword while waiting for food at the restaurant. He jokes that we're such an "old married couple." I just beam.

ebayj Dec 17, 2007 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by fooko2002 (Post 8912947)
If I was constantly wondering if children or old people were around before displaying my affection for my partner, I would be spending a lot of time thinking and not nearly enough time acting.

I'm not sure how one is sensitive towards children by not displaying a common act of love with their partner. For fear that someone filled with hate might respond to your action? The logic seems to fail me on this point.

Be the change you want to see in this world. The younger gay generation truly fills me with hope - but fooko already knows that about me. And he is one of the sweetest young adults you could ever hope to meet.

Love is to be celebrated between any two people who care about each other, at least in my life and culture. On your deathbed, you will not look at your checking account - you will look at how freely and joyously you loved throughout your entire life.

Getting back on topic - I find unexpected small gestures to be romantic.

fooko2002 Dec 18, 2007 1:01 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 8914026)

--Crossword puzzles.

Yes! Logic Puzzles too!