FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   Oktoberfest 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/1964282-oktoberfest-2019-a.html)

EWRTravelers Apr 6, 2019 7:56 pm

Oktoberfest 2019

After several months of waiting, we have recently received word that we were unable to secure a group reservation for the first Sunday (gay Sunday) of Oktoberfest.

We have been advised to instead go the day of the event to get in the Tent. QQ on this process - Does the Braurosl Tent only permit reservations on that date? If people come at 9 am I assume they start to trickle out in the early afternoon. Do they then allow entry? We will most likely wind up only being 2 people and I am wondering how difficult this will all be!

TominLazybrook Apr 11, 2019 8:54 pm

You will have to pay $$$$$$ to get into the gay tent. And last year the only way to do it, was to buy a weekend pass in advance.

We decided to just skip paying hundreds of dollars for that.

Friday and Saturday night will be tight everywhere. But all the other days, you have the pick of the halls.

TominLazybrook Apr 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Theres some group selling entry to that tent as part of a weekend pass. Last year it was the ONLY way to get into that tent. It was a hard sellout. They werent even letting people wait.

goodeats21 Apr 15, 2019 5:59 pm

I went last year and had no trouble getting into the tent. In fact, left at some point to go back to the hotel for a bit, then got back to the tent later in the evening. Was quite a party.

Maybe I was just lucky?

Going again this year.

ijgordon Apr 19, 2019 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 31004399)
I went last year and had no trouble getting into the tent. In fact, left at some point to go back to the hotel for a bit, then got back to the tent later in the evening. Was quite a party.

Do tell!

carlosdca Apr 19, 2019 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 31004399)

Maybe I was just lucky?

Going again this year.

Was it on the first Sunday at the Braurosl tent?

The "gay oktoberfest" is the first Sunday of the festival (this year September 21st) and only that day and only at the Braurosl tent.

The only way to be inside is if you are at a table (you can't hang out and walk around without a table as if at a party or a bar) and spots at the tables are reserved months in advance (for groups of ten, not less) with priority to repeat guests first.
People stand in line outside for hours hoping for a no-show, a group leaving, or one of the few spots at the unreserved tables.
Or buy one of the 600 tickets for the upstairs area with Munich Lions Club (a gay group) but most of the fun is downstairs where the other 5,800 guys are.
Leaving the place means you completely lost your spot, unless your group and table remained inside waiting for you.

Just wondering how were you able to do what you said.

justforfun Apr 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 31018990)
...or one of the few spots at the unreserved tables.

Have been 5-6 times on this Sunday and my experience is that the vast majority of tables are unreserved. It does mean you need to wake up early and get in line by 7am to get an unreserved seat, but easily 2,000+ people enter this way, if not significantly more.

goodeats21 Apr 20, 2019 5:04 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 31018990)

The "gay oktoberfest" is the first Sunday of the festival (this year September 21st) and only that day and only at the Braurosl tent.

The only way to be inside is if you are at a table (you can't hang out and walk around without a table as if at a party or a bar) and spots at the tables are reserved months in advance (for groups of ten, not less) with priority to repeat guests first.
People stand in line outside for hours hoping for a no-show, a group leaving, or one of the few spots at the unreserved tables.
Or buy one of the 600 tickets for the upstairs area with Munich Lions Club (a gay group) but most of the fun is downstairs where the other 5,800 guys are.
Leaving the place means you completely lost your spot, unless your group and table remained inside waiting for you.

Just wondering how were you able to do what you said.

Yes, it was the first Sunday at the Braurosl tent. The big gay party day.

justforfun describes how it is possible below. It was tougher to get back into the tent in the evening, for sure. But wandering around the tent a bit and finding a sympathetic door guard is possible... :D

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 31019009)
Have been 5-6 times on this Sunday and my experience is that the vast majority of tables are unreserved. It does mean you need to wake up early and get in line by 7am to get an unreserved seat, but easily 2,000+ people enter this way, if not significantly more.

goodeats21 Apr 20, 2019 5:05 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31018896)
Do tell!

Maybe via PM... LOL

EWRTravelers Jul 10, 2019 8:31 pm

We actually have two extras Tickets to the event if anyone needs.

EWRTravelers Sep 2, 2019 9:45 am

We are confirmed!! Who else is attending this year? Where is best to shop for our Lederhosen?

goodeats21 Sep 3, 2019 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by EWRTravelers (Post 31482522)
We are confirmed!! Who else is attending this year? Where is best to shop for our Lederhosen?

As you know, I will be there. :)

I got lederhosen from https://www.ernstlicht.com/

Haven't worn them to the festival yet, but tried them on and seems to be of good quality. Good compromise between costume level and ultra-authentic wallet-buster.

EWRTravelers Sep 21, 2019 12:48 am

Last minute call out!!

Our table will now have some open seats for both the morning and evening session.

If anyone is interested please reach out asap

LondonElite Sep 21, 2019 1:28 am

Originally Posted by EWRTravelers (Post 31482522)

The best place to get your Lederhosen is Lodenfrey. It is a lovely shop.

lodenfrey.com

chrisny2 Sep 21, 2019 11:55 am

Looking forward to Oktoberfest! Sadly I'll not be arriving for the gay day, but will be there Sep. 29-Oct. 3. It's my first time to Munich, so I'm excited!