FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   Bangkok for New Year (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/1410807-bangkok-new-year.html)

RussianGuy Nov 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Bangkok for New Year

hi Guys, any ideas how to get to best Gay New Year party in Bangkok this year? For the last many years it was restaurant with fireworks scene for us (sydney, hong kong, singapore, rio, buenos aeres etc...) and we wish to do smth new )) maybe it's because we're getting older ))) 34 & 35 yo couple here ) soooo... never been to Bangkok for new year before... any ideas if Bangkok has special gay New Year or everyone stick to gay clubs? Any advise will be appreciated ) Thanks to all!

rossco26 Nov 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Been before at new year and heading there for new year this year. Both 37 here. Lot of guys start off in street where gay bars are like Telephone bar and the head onto DJ Station. There are many rooftop restaurants where you can watch fireworks etc but would need to book those... Where are you staying? private message us if you like ;)

KissFlyGoodbye Nov 26, 2012 1:41 am

Will actually be in BKK as well this year with the bf.

Guy Betsy Nov 26, 2012 11:04 am

I might be there ... but alas alone. :(

I usually stay at the Grand Hyatt Erawan.

The streets around Bangkok's gay bars are usually hopping... except that when you're in the bars... The Clubs can be crazy... but some places sing a song that is not Auld Lang Sang which I was waiting for and didn't come! Boy that was a dud.. and that was the year 2000 !

Anyway, there is also the World Trade Centre area where everyone hangs out too.

The city doesn't sleep.. so you'll have lots of fun. Better still if you meet / make new friends. FTers for example ! :)

MegatopLover Nov 26, 2012 11:41 am

This will be my tenth NYE in a row in Bangkok. Mr. Megatop and I usually do something fairly casual on New Year's, like street food for dinner, then watch the fireworks from our room at a Riverside area hotel. Then to bed.

Never done the clubs like DJ Station, which I'm sure is a zoo (and likely a firetrap) on NYE. Babylon has lots of festivities around New Year's. The gay sois off Silom are probably pretty jumping but I'd be wary of crowds there too. A sign I'm getting older now? 37 and 42 here.

KissFlyGoodbye Nov 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Would be nice if we all met up while we are there.

justforfun Nov 26, 2012 1:31 pm

I think you'll find there will be lots of FTers in BKK for New Year's!

Where is everyone staying? Le Meridien for now, but may stay at the W if the opening goes well. In town 12/29-1/1 then off to Koh Samui.

holtju2 Nov 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 19748455)

What a coincidence? ;)

RussianGuy Nov 27, 2012 6:44 am

we'll be staying at Conrad ;-) http://s.gayromeo.com/img/usr/06937b...d6ea4f6e55.jpg

RussianGuy Nov 27, 2012 6:47 am

i'm thinking the we still would prefer to dance the night away this year ;-) I'm fed up with fireworks dinners http://s.gayromeo.com/img/usr/064b26...5c9cc310ee.jpg;-))

RussianGuy Nov 27, 2012 6:51 am

any ideas how to contact local expats? or maybe anyone know the good dating website for thailand?https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n..._6639175_n.jpg

KissFlyGoodbye Nov 27, 2012 7:41 am

We will be in BKK 12/28, after having been in Chiang Mai for a few days. Staying at the Sofitel Sukhumvit.

itsaboutthejourney Nov 29, 2012 12:33 am

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 19748455)

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 19749905)
What a coincidence? ;)

Interesting. I just might be there too.

justforfun Nov 29, 2012 9:10 pm

About 10 of us are already having dinner at Long Table on the 30th at 9pm. Shall we make it an official FT Gayla? I'm sure I can easily increase the reservation. Afterwards we can head over to DJ Station or other "cultural" venues.

http://www.longtablebangkok.com/index.php

AJLondon Nov 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 19764350)
Interesting. I just might be there too.

Really. You don't say!? What a delightful coincidence indeed. We must meet for a cup of tea and biscuits then. ;)

holtju2 Nov 30, 2012 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 19774106)
Really. You don't say!? What a delightful coincidence indeed. We must meet for a cup of tea and biscuits then. ;)

Oh well. You can take itsaboutthejourney for an afternoon tea but we already have a ballet performance(s) booked for the evening(s).

AJLondon Dec 1, 2012 8:58 am

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 19775665)
Oh well. You can take itsaboutthejourney for an afternoon tea but we already have a ballet performance(s) booked for the evening(s).

Followed by some nibbles thru room service? ;)

RussianGuy Dec 1, 2012 9:43 am

soooo... anyone up for meet?

vickskid76 Dec 1, 2012 9:51 am

This is turning into a party! I'll be there @ the Grand Hyatt from 12/27 through 1/2.

RussianGuy Dec 2, 2012 1:58 am

no photos? everyone so shy or I don't get it? ;-(

Creole Spirit Dec 2, 2012 1:42 pm

shame on me...I will be in BKK next week, but not for New Years Eve....::(
Would have loved to join you, guys!

behuman Dec 3, 2012 7:01 am

Just be careful - especially if it is your first time

Please enjoy your New Year party in BKK, but remind when you are messing up with Thai guys: Nothing is for free here ! Even if you are young and beautiful, at the end you will pay the same price as your old fellow FTalker who will be at the best place in town well before New Year's eve: BKK airport outbound back to good old Europe and the shores of the magical North Italian lakes.

Dieuwer Dec 3, 2012 7:13 am

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 19786716)
Please enjoy your New Year party in BKK, but remind when you are messing up with Thai guys: Nothing is for free here ! Even if you are young and beautiful, at the end you will pay the same price as your old fellow FTalker who will be at the best place in town well before New Year's eve: BKK airport outbound back to good old Europe and the shores of the magical North Italian lakes.

You can always mess with European or American guys...:D

Creole Spirit Dec 3, 2012 10:43 am

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 19786716)

oh, Behuman, so I should feel comfy when I am back in Europe for Xmas again ;)

Jet Ranger Dec 3, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi guys,
I'm also staying in Bangkok for new year with the other Mr Jetranger. Arrive from London on the 31st, staying at the Peninsula. We may just do a room service thing as the official events are kinda pricey there, so we'll see fireworks then head out depending on jetlag and tiredness levels. Looking for good suggestions of bars and clubs, not too far away from the area around the Pen.
Cheers!!

behuman Dec 3, 2012 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Creole Spirit (Post 19788033)
oh, Behuman, so I should feel comfy when I am back in Europe for Xmas again ;)

Comfy and boring perhaps :D .

Originally Posted by Jet Ranger (Post 19788534)
Hi guys,
I'm also staying in Bangkok for new year with the other Mr Jetranger. Arrive from London on the 31st, staying at the Peninsula. We may just do a room service thing as the official events are kinda pricey there, so we'll see fireworks then head out depending on jetlag and tiredness levels. Looking for good suggestions of bars and clubs, not too far away from the area around the Pen.
Cheers!!

The Peninsula is a great resort in the city but on the "wrong" side of the river. Take their hotel boat to the Sathorn Pier after dinner and from there it is three stations with the Skytrain to Silom.

Soi 4 is the less commercial, DJ station Soi 2 is younng and increasingly (hidden) commercial. And keep an eye on Mr. Jetranger :D .

Jet Ranger Dec 4, 2012 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 19789918)

The Peninsula is a great resort in the city but on the "wrong" side of the river. Take their hotel boat to the Sathorn Pier after dinner and from there it is three stations with the Skytrain to Silom.

Soi 4 is the less commercial, DJ station Soi 2 is younng and increasingly (hidden) commercial. And keep an eye on Mr. Jetranger :D .

:D I hear you. He'll probably be more worried about me! ;)
Re the location, I understand this, but others I have spoken to say it isn't too much of an issue being on the "wrong" side of the river as you can cross easily via the hotel river taxi which goes back n forth. Hope it won't be too much of an issue. We are big Peninsula fans and have enjoyed their hotels in other cities around the world.

Dieuwer Dec 4, 2012 5:52 pm

How do you East-Coasters get to BKK? Seems like a trek half around the planet.

justforfun Dec 4, 2012 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 19797091)

That's the whole point!!

Usually fly CX via HKG.

Dieuwer Dec 4, 2012 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 19798077)
That's the whole point!!

Usually fly CX via HKG.

I was thinking of going next year for Xmas and New Years, flying AF via CDG.

peteropny Dec 5, 2012 5:43 am

That's the whole point!!

Usually fly CX via HKG.

Lol - guess where I'm posting from------ the Pier at HKG enroute to BKK.

MegatopLover Dec 5, 2012 6:17 am

In the good old days of the SQ-DL partnership, I'd schlep to an SQ US gateway then take SQ, sometimes just to HKG or SIN and sometimes all the way to BKK. I've done MH once or twice and MU once, AF via CDG once. Most of the time, I'm on DL or KE, sometimes getting an ATL nonstop but more often (for award or upgrade availability reasons) routing through a gateway like LAX or JFK, once ORD. Fastest way to do it is DL or KE via NRT or ICN, on which the BKK-ATL run can be as short as 21 hours total, departure-to-arrival, a few hours more door-to-door. On SQ or MH, it can be a whole lot longer once you start throwing in long, sometimes overnight, transits. Longest I've done has been about 45 hours door-to-door.

A good 24 hours of peace and quiet, movies, books, decent food and drink, sleep, sudoku, FlightTracker and all that, with no emails / phone calls / BlackBerry can be a really nice respite from everyday life.

Oh, how I wish I could do this on SQ again.

itsaboutthejourney Dec 6, 2012 12:06 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 19774106)

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 19775665)

Is all this before or after bible study?

wxguy Dec 6, 2012 8:00 am

BOS-ORD-NRT-BKK on UA is my preferred route. During the height of winter I'll sub IAD for ORD to avoid snow problems. I always leave BOS on the first flight (usually 0600) and take the longer layover at ORD, to protect against IRROPs on the first leg. I enjoy the layover at NRT at the UA IFL (or ANA lounge) with a shower and noodle soup.

I like the timing - early up in BOS and a midnight arrival at BKK - so that it's bedtime on arrival. I've tried the Europe routing, and dislike the evening BOS departure with morning BKK arrival as that seems to make jetlag even worse.

KissFlyGoodbye Dec 6, 2012 1:58 pm

Skyteam to BKK for me and CX via HKG to BKK for the bf + RGN mistake fare for the return. :)

The dinner on 12/30 sounds nice. Can confirm myself and +1 if this is actually happening. Please PM me about the details.

vickskid76 Dec 6, 2012 7:53 pm

Bangkok for New Year

That's the whole point!!

Usually fly CX via HKG.

Delta via NRT! I'm trying to figure out how to tag on a short trip to Phuket!

Dieuwer Dec 6, 2012 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 19806658)
BOS-ORD-NRT-BKK on UA is my preferred route. During the height of winter I'll sub IAD for ORD to avoid snow problems. I always leave BOS on the first flight (usually 0600) and take the longer layover at ORD, to protect against IRROPs on the first leg. I enjoy the layover at NRT at the UA IFL (or ANA lounge) with a shower and noodle soup.

I like the timing - early up in BOS and a midnight arrival at BKK - so that it's bedtime on arrival. I've tried the Europe routing, and dislike the evening BOS departure with morning BKK arrival as that seems to make jetlag even worse.

I was thinking BOS-CDG-BKK in premium voyageur. Shouldn't be that bad. Or..?Problem with, e.g. BOS-DTW-ICN-BKK is that you arrive late and thus lose a whole day in BKK.

MikeFromTokyo Dec 7, 2012 2:04 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 19810631)
I was thinking BOS-CDG-BKK in premium voyageur. Shouldn't be that bad. Or..?Problem with, e.g. BOS-DTW-ICN-BKK is that you arrive late and thus lose a whole day in BKK.

From the east coast a TATL routing can make sense, and can easily be done from BOS with only one connection on AF and other carriers.

BOS-NRT-BKK on JL could also work well, if that is an option.

Dieuwer Dec 7, 2012 6:28 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 19811768)
BOS-NRT-BKK on JL could also work well, if that is an option.

Thought about that, but I'm no OW guy and JL is very expensive most of the time.
It will be interesting to see what will happen to fares when two Middle-Eastern airlines start flying to BOS sometime next year. I wouldn't mind a cheap introductory biz fare BOS-DOH-BKK :)

MikeFromTokyo Dec 7, 2012 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 19812455)
I wouldn't mind a cheap introductory biz fare BOS-DOH-BKK :)

A cheap introductory business fare would be great:cool:

Booking premium economy on carriers like AF can make a lot of sense, as it is often possible to waitlist for a mileage upgrade to C class, but even if an upgrade does not clear one is still guaranteed a relatively comfortable seat.