Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Munich

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
That's pretty much in the centre, S-Bahn 'Donnersbergerbruecke' is just next to it. Take any train in direction Hauptbahnhof and change at Marienplatz into U6 (downstairs) in direction Garching/Forschungszentrum.
Guestimate is a 40min ride - and likely a very crowded train.

If you like to buy tickets (or an app) in advance: http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/homepage/index.html
looking to stay1 or 2 nights in MUC most likely at The Hampton Inn which is a short walk from S-Bahn 'Donnersbergerbruecke' . My plan is to visit Dachau which I plan to do on my own via train/bus.

My question is, is there a 24 hr pass that will let me go to/from the airport as well as to Dachau? Or is it better to buy a r/t LH Bus tkt 17E to the main station get a local 1 day pass to go to Donnersbergerbruecke and later that day to Dachau

That said what would be best if I make it a 2 nighter still at The Hampton, reason for The HI is least amount of pts needed for the room, toying with a 2nd night in order to walk around and checkout the city , most likely late May
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The Airport is farther away from Munich than Dachau, so the day pass will cover the trip.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The Airport is farther away from Munich than Dachau, so the day pass will cover the trip.
Is it cheaper or better to buy say the LH Bus r/t and then a city day pass or since the savings will be min just go with the Train day pass and a 1 way to the airport for the return. thats assuming the LH Bus is still an open return which wont be the case with the train pass

Tried finding the actual costs nowadays for each and wasnt successful except that the LH Bus is 17E r/t , since the SB has a stop not far from my intended hotel that would be great but if the savings are enough I dont mind the extra time especially with a 7am arrival no hotel will let me in anyways most likely. So to save 2 E probably not worth it but for 5E + its worth the savings
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The entire network 24h ticket costs 22.90EUR: https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/ticke...ard/index.html

Thats cheaper than the LH bus or a bunch of one way tickets for sure.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by craz
looking to stay1 or 2 nights in MUC most likely at The Hampton Inn which is a short walk from S-Bahn 'Donnersbergerbruecke' .
I was there just last month. Pretty impressive breakfast for a Hampton Inn. Photos of the property in this gallery: https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Eu...y/2018-Munich/
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
I was there just last month. Pretty impressive breakfast for a Hampton Inn. Photos of the property in this gallery: https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Eu...y/2018-Munich/
Thx for sharing, was able to see what I will be missing since no outdoor Xmas mkt in May, whats the name of the place with the figurines, guess Noon is the best show?

Nice breakfast spread but due to a special diet all I will beable to do is look

Does the hotel have a shuttle into downtown, I doubt it , is it walkable or just jump on the train for 1 stop to the Main Station
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:05 pm
Suspended

The entire network 24h ticket costs 22.90EUR: https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/ticke...ard/index.html

Thats cheaper than the LH bus or a bunch of one way tickets for sure.
thx, the results I got from a Yahoo search was showing alot more

Arriving very early in the morning and was hoping to grab a noonish flight out , so that Pass wont help me to get back to MUC , while the LH Bus doesnt have a limit on the return portion, or just make sure Im on a train to the airport before the clock strikes 12 or whatever time it was used 1st. Or is the Pass a calendar thing and not a 24 hour thing which would mean having to be on a train by 6am

Will probably stay 2 nights and knock Dachau off the 1st day with having all an all day pass and fend someway on day 2
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Thx for sharing, was able to see what I will be missing since no outdoor Xmas mkt in May, whats the name of the place with the figurines, guess Noon is the best show?
That's the Rathaus (Town Hall) with the Glockenspiel just across from Marienplatz station. Can't recall the times when the figurines move, but do recall reading it was twice a day. I just stumbled into that when I was in the area.

Does the hotel have a shuttle into downtown, I doubt it , is it walkable or just jump on the train for 1 stop to the Main Station
I didn't see a shuttle. No, not walkable. It's right across the tracks from the train station - you'll see that in the photos - maybe a 5 min walk and there's a walkway down stairs just off the overpass. It's one stop from Munich Hackerbrucke station which has a Vapianos (a chain with salads, pasta and pizza) and two stops from Munich HBF, the central train station. Continue on two stops from there and you're at Marienplatz.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:32 am

Or is the Pass a calendar thing and not a 24 hour thing which would mean having to be on a train by 6am
The city thing is for tourists and valid for 24h exactly. They also have a day pass which is valid for the calendar day (actually till 6am the next morning) and cheaper.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:44 am
Suspended

The city thing is for tourists and valid for 24h exactly. They also have a day pass which is valid for the calendar day (actually till 6am the next morning) and cheaper.
Got it thx, and now I also understand why I was seeing different prices. Now to workout which to get and when that only I can decide what works best
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:43 pm
Suspended

never mind, plans sort of changed again as the day for the event in ZRH was changed again, so now it will be 2 nights MUC and 5 ZRH. Was suppose to be 3/3 since ZRH has to be 4 nights might as well make it 5 since its pay 4 get 5th free on the hotel

Will use LH Bus and on day 2 a XXL to get to Dachau+ (arriving early morn and wont beable to get into my room so early so the bus will be cheaper and OK with it being slower especially dont want to deal with morn rush ona train

Last edited by craz; Feb 3, 2019 at 2:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.