FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Five days in/around Munich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1824654-five-days-around-munich.html)

highlanderfil Feb 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Five days in/around Munich

Hello, FT faithful. Hoping for some tips on an upcoming trip.

Dates: April 28-May 4
Transport: Car, 1500km total allowance
Interests: nice driving roads, good views, local cuisine (particular fondness for all things dairy- and bakery-related), nature hikes, technology (so, something like the Sinsheim Technik Museum would be a great place to visit if I hadn't before, but if there's something similar around Munich, I'm game, but it's worth noting I've been to the BMW Museum already)
Plans so far: plane spotting by MUC, possible day trips to Regensburg, Oberammergau and Liechtenstein. Would like to dip down into Switzerland, as well.

That's about it:). Appreciate any help!

scubadu Feb 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by highlanderfil (Post 27949040)

Interests: nice driving roads, good views, local cuisine (particular fondness for all things dairy- and bakery-related), nature hikes, technology (so, something like the Sinsheim Technik Museum would be a great place to visit if I hadn't before, but if there's something similar around Munich, I'm game, but it's worth noting I've been to the BMW Museum already)
Plans so far: plane spotting by MUC, possible day trips to Regensburg, Oberammergau and Liechtenstein. Would like to dip down into Switzerland, as well.

I hate to be "that" guy, but did you try typing "Munich" in the search box for this forum? :confused:

As you might imagine in a forum titled Germany, the topic of things to do in and around Munich has been discussed more than a time or two...

Regards

highlanderfil Feb 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 27950198)
I hate to be "that" guy, but did you try typing "Munich" in the search box for this forum? :confused:

As you might imagine in a forum titled Germany, the topic of things to do in and around Munich has been discussed more than a time or two...

Regards

I have, and I've seen the neighboring thread, but each situation is different. I will definitely read through some of the threads here, though.

offerendum Feb 24, 2017 9:19 am

Originally Posted by highlanderfil (Post 27949040)

You are 6 days in MUC and like to do plane spotting:confused:. Mostly you will see the usual candidates.

Problem could be the km-Limitation. Otherwise do a trip to Berchtesgaden and Salzburg. Itīs 100 km less each way compared to Liechtenstein and preferable in my eyes. Classical trip is Füssen (Neuschwanstein). Also Chiemsee, Linderhof, Zugspitze, Starnberger See and Tegernsee are options.

If you like technics Deutsches Museum is worth a visit.

MSPeconomist Feb 24, 2017 9:24 am

Berchtesgaden and Dachau are awkward to see by public transportation, but not so for Salzburg. If you think you'll be in Munich some other time without a car, I would focus on smaller towns without good train service.

Part of the castle road (less known than the romantic road, but they intersect in Rotemberg--spelling?) isn't far from Munich. Germany also has a bunch of nice wine roads in different regions, although I can't think of any that go close to Munich.

offerendum Feb 24, 2017 9:31 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27952600)
Rotemberg--spelling?

Do you mean Rothenburg ob der Tauber? Very popular by tourists as itīs more or less a complete medieval town. Definitively a Highlight even if I always find it so touristy and to be honest kitschy. As I once stayed at the Eisenhut (hotel in the middle of the city) and criticized some things (i.e. terrible sweet parfume-smell in the rooms) they told me most guests were American or Japanese (over 2/3) and they expect something like that.

highlanderfil Feb 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 27952568)
You are 6 days in MUC and like to do plane spotting:confused:. Mostly you will see the usual candidates.

I've been to Munich proper on a couple of occasions, so I'm not worried about six days being so short a time period that I shouldn't indulge in a favorite hobby. It's an activity that takes up two hours, at most (plus I am given to understand there's a museum by the airport, as well). And I'm not sure what you mean by "usual candidates" - what's "usual" in Munich is not usual in Detroit, I can assure you...

Problem could be the km-Limitation. Otherwise do a trip to Berchtesgaden and Salzburg. Itīs 100 km less each way compared to Liechtenstein and preferable in my eyes. Classical trip is Füssen (Neuschwanstein). Also Chiemsee, Linderhof, Zugspitze, Starnberger See and Tegernsee are options.
I may have another opportunity to visit Liechtenstein, so you're right, I may just skip it. I've also been to Salzburg and Neuschwanstein. The other locations I am definitely going to check out, thank you.

If you like technics Deutsches Museum is worth a visit.
Neat! I am definitely going to put it on my list. This is probably a good activity for the 4th, in the morning, before leaving.

highlanderfil Feb 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27952600)
Berchtesgaden and Dachau are awkward to see by public transportation, but not so for Salzburg. If you think you'll be in Munich some other time without a car, I would focus on smaller towns without good train service.

Good idea. I've been to Salzburg, anyhow.

Part of the castle road (less known than the romantic road, but they intersect in Rotemberg--spelling?) isn't far from Munich. Germany also has a bunch of nice wine roads in different regions, although I can't think of any that go close to Munich.
I'm not a big wine drinker, so that's not super important, but I'll check out the castle road (assume it's easy enough to Google).

MSPeconomist Feb 24, 2017 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 27952626)
Do you mean Rothenburg ob der Tauber? Very popular by tourists as itīs more or less a complete medieval town. Definitively a Highlight even if I always find it so touristy and to be honest kitschy. As I once stayed at the Eisenhut (hotel in the middle of the city) and criticized some things (i.e. terrible sweet parfume-smell in the rooms) they told me most guests were American or Japanese (over 2/3) and they expect something like that.

Yes. I too stayed in Eisenhut and had a very good dinner there focusing on wild game.

highlanderfil Feb 24, 2017 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 27952626)

I just looked it up. Looks neat and I don't mind kitsch that much, as long as there's authenticity behind it. I'll probably have the opportunity to drive along the Romantic Road a week after, so might just save it until then.

MSPeconomist Feb 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by highlanderfil (Post 27953393)
I just looked it up. Looks neat and I don't mind kitsch that much, as long as there's authenticity behind it. I'll probably have the opportunity to drive along the Romantic Road a week after, so might just save it until then.

I would highly recommend doing the Romantik road in the suggested direction, from north to south so that you're looking toward the mountains. For me, three days was about right.

highlanderfil Feb 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27953399)
I would highl;y recommend doing the Romantik road in the suggested direction, from north to south so that you're looking toward the mountains. For me, three days was about right.

North to South won't work, unfortunately:(.

offerendum Feb 24, 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by highlanderfil (Post 27953361)
This is probably a good activity for the 4th, in the morning, before leaving.

Itīs hughe so save enough time.

LAX2Anywhere Feb 24, 2017 3:51 pm

There is certainly lots to do in Munich and the surrounding area. You shouldn't have any trouble filling 5 days - it will be harder to whittle things down to 5 days. Some ideas:
  • Residenz in Munich
  • Augustiner Beer Garden in Munich
  • Andechs Monastery - south of Munich
  • Regensburg which you mentioned is a nice town to visit
  • Ettal Monastery - about an hour south of Munich. Check out the cheese shop since you have a fondness for dairy
  • Schloss Linderhof - near Ettal. One of King Ludwig's projects
  • Garmisch-Partenkirchen - can spend days in and around that area itself. Lots of hiking opportunities in the area - particularly recommend the Partnachklamm
  • Mittenwald - near Garmisch, quaint little town for a 1/2 day visit

MSPeconomist Feb 24, 2017 6:10 pm

If we're listing things in Munich, see the BMW museum and the Bavarian Crown Jewels.