Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Short Term Apt. Near Ramstein AFB (non-mil)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None anymore

Looking for some hints, help with finding a place to stay for 90 days while working in Ramstein, AFB.

Needs:
2-Rooms for 2 people. 1 parking space.
Tub/shower is ok, internet access
Reasonable cost, it will be paid for by company so negotiations will happen.

Within 15Km of Ramstein, AFB (bus/taxi access to gate is a minimum)

Since I/we aren't military and are working there tourist trap stuff really isn't appealing. I/we have no PoCs on/near base at this time to help with this stuff so hoping the FT community would throw me a bone.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by Flahusky
Looking for some hints, help with finding a place to stay for 90 days while working in Ramstein, AFB.

Needs:
2-Rooms for 2 people. 1 parking space.
Tub/shower is ok, internet access
Reasonable cost, it will be paid for by company so negotiations will happen.

Within 15Km of Ramstein, AFB (bus/taxi access to gate is a minimum)

Since I/we aren't military and are working there tourist trap stuff really isn't appealing. I/we have no PoCs on/near base at this time to help with this stuff so hoping the FT community would throw me a bone.
Doesn't the military have contracts with external service providers for flats that you can take advantage of or use thir deal? I am pretty sure your situation is pretty common!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is a nice furnished apartment available in Kaiserslautern for 1000€/month: http://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/62565811
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Doesn't the military have contracts with external service providers for flats that you can take advantage of or use thir deal? I am pretty sure your situation is pretty common!
I'm sure they do but as contractors we aren't allowed any military assistance/benefits.
I know many families go over and spend time with loved ones so there are lots of places that can handle the room/bed count its the amenities and cost we are trying to watch.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
There is a nice furnished apartment available in Kaiserslautern for 1000€/month: http://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/62565811
Wow that is a nice one! I will forward that on for consideration.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Your contractor can't arrange for you to stay at the Ramstein Inn, but you can work on post otherwise? I find that highly suspect. Double check on that. I've stayed overnight at the Ramstein Inn and it is very nice (and very cheap-about $39/night). It is in the PX compound, and there is a Macaroni Grill restaurant, a Bavarian sausage/beer joint in the complex, and a TGI Fridays about 15 minutes walk away. The inn itself is modern, comfortable rooms and beds, free internet, the works. I've got to go back there next year are definitely plan on staying there again .
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by etch5895
Your contractor can't arrange for you to stay at the Ramstein Inn, but you can work on post otherwise? I find that highly suspect. Double check on that.
I find it odd, too.

According to the AFI on the Air Force Inns site, "Contract personnel doing business on base" are Priority Two and "11. Contract personnel traveling overseas are lodged according to the contract provisions
and the host-nation Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). For CONUS and OCONUS, HQ AFSVA/SVOL will provide a Letter of Identification (LOI) for those personnel with centrally managed contracts if they do not have a Common Access Card (CAC). Lodging managers will coordinate with the contracting authority to provide LOIs for personnel of non-centrally managed contracts if they do not possess a CAC."
http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/share.../AFI34-246.pdf

I would contact Ramstein Inn--they will know more about local restrictions and procedures.
http://dodlodging.net/vt_ramstein.htm

Last edited by soitgoes; Oct 29, 2011 at 1:02 pm
Old Oct 30, 2011, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etch5895
Your contractor can't arrange for you to stay at the Ramstein Inn, but you can work on post otherwise? I find that highly suspect. Double check on that. I've stayed overnight at the Ramstein Inn and it is very nice (and very cheap-about $39/night). It is in the PX compound, and there is a Macaroni Grill restaurant, a Bavarian sausage/beer joint in the complex, and a TGI Fridays about 15 minutes walk away. The inn itself is modern, comfortable rooms and beds, free internet, the works. I've got to go back there next year are definitely plan on staying there again .
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I find it odd, too.

According to the AFI on the Air Force Inns site, "Contract personnel doing business on base" are Priority Two and "11. Contract personnel traveling overseas are lodged according to the contract provisions
and the host-nation Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). For CONUS and OCONUS, HQ AFSVA/SVOL will provide a Letter of Identification (LOI) for those personnel with centrally managed contracts if they do not have a Common Access Card (CAC). Lodging managers will coordinate with the contracting authority to provide LOIs for personnel of non-centrally managed contracts if they do not possess a CAC."
http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/share.../AFI34-246.pdf

I would contact Ramstein Inn--they will know more about local restrictions and procedures.
http://dodlodging.net/vt_ramstein.htm
Thank both you guys, I normally do not handle lodging arrangements for assignment OCONUS so this is a bit new to me.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Just a follow up for myself and others maybe in my shoes.
You CAN gain access to the 'AFI's" on base, HOWEVER you are limited to 3 days max at a time then you have to check out then back in. Depending on the situation you may get back in or you may not. No guarantee you will get the same room either... You might get lucky and find a clerk willing to roll your stay BUT I'd not count on it.

Off base housing is plentiful and depending on what your needs are it can be inexpensive.
Pick up a copy of the Kaiserslautern American and check out the ads in the back. Not sure how willing they are to deal with short term leases but you can beat the 59 euro a night Gästehaus rates in the area!
Expand your looking to at least 20~ km away from the base, prices drop sharply, and there is still a nice concentration of americans
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: OnePass | MillagePlus
Best shared or private flat listing in Germany, short or long term. Think of it like Craigslist but somewhat better. Anyways here is the English translation of the site, you can email or phone the people. http://www.wg-gesucht.de/en/

*This is how all the people I know in Germany (including myself) have found apartments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.