Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Porsche Museum visit during FRA Stopover

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 4:57 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by cyborg
Traveling LH IAD-FRA-BKK in F. Would like to visit Porsche Museum in Stuttgart during 16 hour FRA connection w/luggage checked through to BKK. Please help me choose options or suggest better alternatives:

1) Kempinski room w/shuttle, train to/from Stuttgart, enjoy FCT before depart.

2) B or C FCL on arrival for shower, train to/from Stuttgart, FCT before depart.

3) Arrivals lounge or shower, train to/from Stuttgart, FCT before depart.

Note: If 419 arrives C, is immigration a problem to/from FCL same day?

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Option 2 seems to be the solution. When arriving at C - just follow the signage to B part - do not go through immigration at C. IN B you have access to the FCL and when finished there head to B immigration and on to train station.

When arriving back from train station just walk towards terminal - then down to arrival level for the trek to the FCT.

Makes no sense with Day Room at Kempinski - as this is in Gravenbuch - about 20 min by car from FRA. There is a shuttle but it would end up being time consuming with no additional benefit unless you want a proper snooze - but that would eat into your time in Stuttgart.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Depending on where the flight arrives, I'd chose the lounge to shower.
Usually the "Welcome lounge" is the best option.
Yesterday I arrived at A65 from LAX and quickly went through immigration and security to take a shower at the FCL A - but only because there was no queue at immigration and security there.

Then I'd take the ICE train to Stuttgart and back. Alternatively a rental car to get there.
On the way back go to the FCT.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by tcswede
Option 2 seems to be the solution. When arriving at C - just follow the signage to B part - do not go through immigration at C.
Sometimes the queue for the security can be horrendous though from C to B.
That's why when I arrive at C I go through immigration and use the Welcome lounge at B0 arrivals.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Awesome response :-)

deleted

Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Thanks All !

Will go with FCL or Welcome Lounge after looking over the queue. ICE train looks good. Definitely FCT upon re-entering FRA prior to BKK flight.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
If you are comfortable driving in Germany, then take the car. It's only 186kms, mostly on highways and gies you much better mobility than trains.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

car?

deleted

Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
ah, yes, if only I could rent a car like my RS 60 Spyder for a reasonable price for the day...

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Don't forget there is no speed limit on German highways . I always take the opportunity since here in Australia we are limited to 100/110kph...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Good Point!

deleted

Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
Any suggestions where to find a decent car for the day at a reasonable price from FRA?

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Try SIXT. They use to have Porsche available so a 997 is a possibility. Prices were not as outrageous as you might think. Good luck!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Whilst I would normally welcome the opportunity to drive on the autobahn, I would personally take ICE train FRA-Stuttgart during the winter months.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by lainys
Whilst I would normally welcome the opportunity to drive on the autobahn, I would personally take ICE train FRA-Stuttgart during the winter months.
OP did not make clear when he/she travels. However, autobahn between Frankfurt and Stuttgart should not be too bad even in the winter.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:58 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Originally Posted by tcswede
Option 2 seems to be the solution. When arriving at C - just follow the signage to B part - do not go through immigration at C.
Sometimes the queue for the security can be horrendous though from C to B.
That's why when I arrive at C I go through immigration and use the Welcome lounge at B0 arrivals.
Will go with FCL or Welcome Lounge after looking over the queue.
If you find the security queue from C to B is too long I think you can still go through immigration and down to the Welcome Lounge without backtracking.

But flights from the US could arrive anywhere in T1 – A, B, C or a remote apron stand then a bus ride to B international arrivals. Unless you know FRA reasonably well it might be best to go through immigration and head towards the Welcome Lounge which is (more or less) on the way to the train station since your aim is not to maximize your FCL experience but to go to Stuttgart and back.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:00 am

Enjoy the museum!
Make sure your flight in IAD does not depart on a Sunday !!!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:39 am

Hate to dampen your spirits but unfortunately most german autobahns now do have sections with speed limits and the southern provinces it is 120 km /h. Not whole autobahns but sections and that makes it important to take note of when and where restrictions apply otherwise it can be expensive!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.