Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Check for Elite 100k

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Gate Check for Elite 100k

I status matched to 100k and have an upcoming flight. I booked it and did a carryon because I don't want to separate from my bag. The bag itself is under the size but it's packed for over a week so it may be a bit fat and not fit in their sizer by an inch or so. Should they deem it over would they charge me to check the bag at the gate? No checked bag on the flight only carryon so my 1 free wouldn't have been used yet.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
I status matched to 100k and have an upcoming flight. I booked it and did a carryon because I don't want to separate from my bag. The bag itself is under the size but it's packed for over a week so it may be a bit fat and not fit in their sizer by an inch or so. Should they deem it over would they charge me to check the bag at the gate? No checked bag on the flight only carryon so my 1 free wouldn't have been used yet.
Most of the airport I've been two aren't strict. Occasionally I'd see them cracking down on the personal items that are too big and should be booked as carryon.

I finally had an extremely strict agent MBJ. I suspected this might happen as they probably care more there are it's a good job for them and they want to enforce the policy as told.

GFs bag was too big and I could tell as it was bigger than mine and I have the max size allowed for carry on. She got away with it in ORD and MCO.

I knew it was gonna be a problem as they tried to tell me my bag was too big. I think they are trying too hard to generate revenue bc mine is not too big. If they had just flagged her bag, I would have been fine but I was mad that they tried to tell me my bag was too big.

Anyway, I told them I've flown almost every week for last two months and never had an issue with my bag. Second person came and played my bag. Gf's bag got taken to sizer and wheels made it too big. We had to pay for check in even though we had carry on paid for. Wasted carry on.

She was upset but I told her she was lucky she got away with it on earlier flight. Funny thing is we carried It on at MCO again because she missed the area where you recheck bags after customs.

Anyway, short version is I bet they won't even notice unless you are way oversized.
sfgiants13 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:29 am

They seem to care more if it has wheels, for some reason.
sfgiants13 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.