Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frontier's promos seem to be getting cheaper!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Frontier's promos seem to be getting cheaper!

We had 99% off (not really, but still very cheap) fares last week, and today they've launched an extensive sale with lots of $20 fares (which actually come out closer to $19). I bought a 1300 mile flight for $19. This seems nuts, but if they're selling at this price, I'll be doing some Frontier flying. You do need to be flexible, though. If you have to fly on a certain date, or at a peak time, you won't be flying for $19. But if you're flexible, and control your own schedule, Frontier is by far the best deal in USA air travel (even if it's service is sometimes "meh").
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
The first two weeks of December are an excellent time to hunt (different story for the second half of the month, but they have to make their money sometime).

I also put a thread in MilesBuzz about the current 3x miles promotion 11/29-12/15 where they're all status miles, so it looks like you could get status on just 2 transcon RTs that sometimes can be had for under $100 each (the RT, not each way) under a 75% or higher sale (albeit likely midweek). I think Points Guy reported on a promo they had during August where you could qualify similarly, but in this case it looks like you get both the RDMs and EQMs. It seems like quite a deal but it's getting only light publicity.

Thanks to the airline-imposed (invented) fees, though, it looks like $20 each way is their bottomest bottom these days. From ATL you can get the $20 often to Florida destinations, but I tend to favor paying a bit more ($60s-90s RT) for DEN, SLC or LAS (LAS more lately due to weather), and those also earn more miles.

Am debating whether to do my only second-ever "pure" MR to SLC or LAS for $85-95 to get to the 50K status and more RDMs. Though I need to start spending some of my RDMs.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RustyC
The first two weeks of December are an excellent time to hunt (different story for the second half of the month, but they have to make their money sometime).

I also put a thread in MilesBuzz about the current 3x miles promotion 11/29-12/15 where they're all status miles, so it looks like you could get status on just 2 transcon RTs that sometimes can be had for under $100 each (the RT, not each way) under a 75% or higher sale (albeit likely midweek). I think Points Guy reported on a promo they had during August where you could qualify similarly, but in this case it looks like you get both the RDMs and EQMs. It seems like quite a deal but it's getting only light publicity.

Thanks to the airline-imposed (invented) fees, though, it looks like $20 each way is their bottomest bottom these days. From ATL you can get the $20 often to Florida destinations, but I tend to favor paying a bit more ($60s-90s RT) for DEN, SLC or LAS (LAS more lately due to weather), and those also earn more miles.

Am debating whether to do my only second-ever "pure" MR to SLC or LAS for $85-95 to get to the 50K status and more RDMs. Though I need to start spending some of my RDMs.
Something tells me there aren't too many flyertalkers chasing Frontier status, but it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea if you got it. What would it actually get you? Free seat assignments in Stretch?

Even with $20 fares, I'll still probably only fly Frontier 3-5 times next year. That's enough for me. If the majors stopped matching a lot of their fares, I would fly them more, however.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by iahphx
Something tells me there aren't too many flyertalkers chasing Frontier status, but it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea if you got it. What would it actually get you? Free seat assignments in Stretch?
Not many as crazy as me.

free stretch seat, free carryon bag makes it semi worthwhile

Though I may feel differently after 6 one way Frontier transcons in the next 3 days
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:14 pm

Even with $20 fares, I'll still probably only fly Frontier 3-5 times next year. That's enough for me. If the majors stopped matching a lot of their fares, I would fly them more, however.
I fly F9 almost anytime I'm paying because it's usually much, much cheaper than the alternatives. I'm DEN-based and I fly for leisure enough to get status. It's definitely nice to have for the free stretch seating. Getting to use the elite security line at DEN is nice. I have global entry now, but depending on the day I may end up taking the bridge with no Pre-Check (but with an elite line). I've used the free same-day change a number of times. Carry-on is nice for peace of mind but in reality I've never seen them check sizes at the gate. So yeah, elite status with F9 is definitely worth it if you're flying F9 a bunch anyway.

Originally Posted by RustyC
You can always buy your ticket at the airport to avoid the carrier interface charge they impose, but you can't use any promo codes at the airport. I heard why at some point... something about eating cake? :P
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.

Hmmm....DL in ATL certainly doesn't want to match their lower sale fares, even for BE, So I assume you mean AA for that part of the country.

I decided to go ahead with the trip as an almost-MR to LAS, with about 10 hours on the ground and a car rent at $22 a-i that earns WN miles. Airfare was $87-ish RT. It'll earn enough RDMs for a domestic one-way and should put me over the top for 50K rather than 20K. The added benefits at 50K are slight, but you do get to pick a free stretch seat at time of booking, which eliminates the need to check in and grab it at the 24-hour window (as for 20Ks).

If they mint even a few more 20Ks via the credit card or an offer like the 3X one, the stretch seats on transcon flights will be tougher to upgrade to , so getting to book 'em early is a nice convenience. There's also the 50%-off discount den and 25% mile bonus for 50K.

With the 20K the big things are the free full-size carry-on, priority boarding (you're in the pre-board) and seat selection at time of booking for free with ability to upgrade at the 24-hour window,

Because Frontier charges for carry-ons you don't get the bin space as chronically overfilled as on legacies. That + stretch seats begins to approximate the regular-economy experience on legacies.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
Not many as crazy as me.

free stretch seat, free carryon bag makes it semi worthwhile

Though I may feel differently after 6 one way Frontier transcons in the next 3 days
Wow, tell us how it went! I personally wouldn't do this for Frontier status (I don't think I'd even do it for titanium status on one of the majors), but it would interesting to hear how it went. Certainly more interesting than the latest post by some credit-card selling blogger about his latest biz class trip to the Maldives.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Train wrecks always make for more interesting stories than blogger freebie trips. I think that's the secret to success of a lot of travel writers like Paul Theroux. Make that critical swing-vote non-traveler segment happy that they didn't go.

I could well be up against 100% full flights in both directions for my ATL-LAS-ATL almost-MR in a few days. But at least I get to avoid the randomly assigned middle seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.