Wiki Posts
Search

No Saturday return flights?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
No Saturday return flights?

I am trying to book a business trip to Las Vegas in March, and the trip would be Saturday through Saturday. Looking at Frontier, it allows me to book an outbound MCI-DEN-LAS (March 2), but all Saturdays after that are blacked out for the return...I can't even click on March 9 or any other Saturday as a return date. I must say, I have never seen this before. Any ideas?

Not just limited to LAS either. I tried PHX-DEN-MCI and GEG-DEN-MCI to experiment and still could not select a return on March 9 or any other Saturday. However, LAS-DEN (not going onward to MCI) was available. Makes it seem like DEN-MCI is not operated on Saturdays for a time, but MCI-DEN is?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Saturdays are generally slow for flights, so they do day of week adjustments. I have no idea what the MCI-DEN schedule is like early next year, but it would not surprise me if this was the case. The airplane probably arrives late Friday and leaves early Saturday.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:22 pm

Frontier is flying fewer frequencies to more destinations, and the operates on Saturdays this winter are especially reduced. That reduce lift in conventional markets is used (largely) for the expanded resort flying on weekends, especially to Mexico.

Here's what MCI-DEN looks this winter for Saturday

MCI-DEN is 1x/day
DEN-MCI is 2x/day

The DEN-MCI flights leave Denver at 7:15am and 5:00pm.

On Saturdays, Denver-Vegas has 3x round trip, The outbound is fine because there's a flight that dovetails with the single MCI-DEN trip. But on the return, the LAS-DEN flights don't dovetail with the DEN-MCI flights:

LAS-DEN on Saturday
6:45am - 9:35am
9:35am - 12:22pm
6:35pm - 9:20pm

Since the DEN-MCi flights leave at 7:15am and 5:00pm, there's no legal connection LAS-DEN-MCI that day. The best one is 4:38 (ar 12:22pm, lv 5:00pm) and 4:00 is the maximum they'll ticket without it being a stopover.

Unless you buy separate LAS-DEN and DEN-MCI tickets for your Saturday trip home, you'll need to fly a different airline or a different day of the week.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Aha that all makes sense. A bummer nonetheless. Guess I'll stick to AA for that trip.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.