FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Nice Airport Tram (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1973012-nice-airport-tram.html)

mauld Jun 7, 2019 6:01 am

Nice Airport Tram

I just heard that there is a new tram running from the Nice Airport along the coast. I'll be staying at the AC Nice hotel in early Sept and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. Cost, frequency, route etc.

NickB Jun 7, 2019 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by mauld (Post 31179106)
I just heard that there is a new tram running from the Nice Airport along the coast. I'll be staying at the AC Nice hotel in early Sept and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. Cost, frequency, route etc.

Info on maps, schedules and costs can be found on the Lignes d'Azur website (Lignes d'Azur=Nice area bus and tram public transport). The airport tram line is line 2. Unlike the dedicated airport bus service, pricing on the tram is the same as for ordinary bus/tram elsewhere in Nice (i.e. €1.50 for a single ticket or €10.00 for a ten-trip ticket).

gooselee Jun 27, 2019 4:09 pm

Hah - I'm also headed to the AC Hotel soon. Glad to hear the tram is up and running.

I'm reading that the ticket kiosks are all Chip+PIN. Anyone know how "strict" these kiosks are on the PIN requirement? For example - some of the German train kiosks are technically Chip+PIN but you can get around it with a Chase Chip+Sig card just by punching in four random digits. Alternatively, any chance they take contactless payment instead?

I'm digging around my house for leftover Euro but if I can't find any would really prefer to not have to go find an ATM before leaving the airport.

stut Jun 28, 2019 8:44 am

You can use contactless payments on board the tram, without the need to buy a ticket but be careful, as not all the validators do this - you need to look for the contactless symbol (Amex and online cards not accepted).

Alternatively, IIRC the Lignes d'Azur app has an NFC ticket function.

I can't remember whether or not the platform ticket machines have contactless. I think they do, but couldn't swear to it.

gooselee Jun 28, 2019 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by stut (Post 31248836)
You can use contactless payments on board the tram, without the need to buy a ticket but be careful, as not all the validators do this - you need to look for the contactless symbol (Amex and online cards not accepted).

Alternatively, IIRC the Lignes d'Azur app has an NFC ticket function.

I can't remember whether or not the platform ticket machines have contactless. I think they do, but couldn't swear to it.

Thank you. So not all trams have contactless or I just need to find the right validator machine within each tram? Ideally I can find a ticket machine that takes contactless and just get a multipack.

I saw the phone app option but sadly the phone I use outside the US doesn't have NFC. It may simply be time for me to get a new phone :)

stut Jun 29, 2019 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31249843)
Thank you. So not all trams have contactless or I just need to find the right validator machine within each tram? Ideally I can find a ticket machine that takes contactless and just get a multipack.

I saw the phone app option but sadly the phone I use outside the US doesn't have NFC. It may simply be time for me to get a new phone :)

Actually, I'm incorrect - am thinking of Dijon, not Nice. So ignore that bit :)

gooselee Jun 30, 2019 6:19 am

Originally Posted by stut (Post 31253268)
Actually, I'm incorrect - am thinking of Dijon, not Nice. So ignore that bit :)

Hah! No worries. I will try to remember to report back what I find after my trip.

gooselee Jul 5, 2019 12:56 pm

For posterity: I ended up with a new phone so just used the NFC app which works very well. However, I did notice that all the ticket machines along the T2 line do have contactless readers if you'd like to pay that way.

Also FWIW, as of July 2019 Google Maps does not have their transit overlay updated to reflect the new tram line. Also seems to struggle with bus routes. Good to read the maps at each stop or download one ahead of time if you need a guide.

holocker Oct 26, 2019 9:09 pm

How far is it from the departure area after going thru customs to the tram station and does anyone know where the closest tram station to the Hotel Boscolo is? Can you take luggage carts to the tram?

gooselee Oct 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by holocker (Post 31669802)
How far is it from the departure area after going thru customs to the tram station and does anyone know where the closest tram station to the Hotel Boscolo is? Can you take luggage carts to the tram?

After clearing immigration & customs, it's a straight shot and less than 2 minute walk out the door and across to the far curb where the trams pull up.

IIRC you are meant to drop your luggage carts before crossing the road.

The map here is good and updated. Tram 2 was indeed running all the way to Jean Medecin in early July - it looks like this would be the best stop for Hotel Boscolo.

holocker Oct 28, 2019 9:09 am

Is where you would catch an Uber or the tram at the NIce airport closer to where you exit imiigration and customs.

gooselee Oct 28, 2019 9:41 am

Originally Posted by holocker (Post 31673994)
Is where you would catch an Uber or the tram at the NIce airport closer to where you exit imiigration and customs.

Sorry - haven't used Uber there so not sure. But the tram really isn't far at all. It's out the door and quickly across 2-3 lanes of pickup/dropoff traffic right outside the doors if arriving at Terminal 2. At Terminal 1 I think there is not even a roadway to cross - the tram stops literally on the edge of the plaza outside the terminal doors.

You can see the Terminal 1 tram stop just between the road and the terminal entrance here: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6654...7i16384!8i8192

holocker Oct 28, 2019 11:07 am

I think I arrive at terminal 1. It is a BA flight from LHR. IS the tram easy to navigate with luggage

gooselee Oct 28, 2019 1:18 pm

I had no problems with luggage but I only had my one suitcase. IIRC the trams are either low to the ground or even with a platform, and there is plenty of space inside to bring luggage.