Nice Airport Tram

Old Jun 7, 19, 6:01 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Central New Jersey
Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Posts: 6,172
Nice Airport Tram

I just heard that there is a new tram running from the Nice Airport along the coast. I'll be staying at the AC Nice hotel in early Sept and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. Cost, frequency, route etc.
mauld is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 6:38 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: London, UK and Southern France
Posts: 16,047
Originally Posted by mauld View Post
I just heard that there is a new tram running from the Nice Airport along the coast. I'll be staying at the AC Nice hotel in early Sept and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. Cost, frequency, route etc.
Info on maps, schedules and costs can be found on the Lignes d'Azur website (Lignes d'Azur=Nice area bus and tram public transport). The airport tram line is line 2. Unlike the dedicated airport bus service, pricing on the tram is the same as for ordinary bus/tram elsewhere in Nice (i.e. €1.50 for a single ticket or €10.00 for a ten-trip ticket).
NickB is offline  
Old Jun 27, 19, 4:09 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,968
Hah - I'm also headed to the AC Hotel soon. Glad to hear the tram is up and running.

I'm reading that the ticket kiosks are all Chip+PIN. Anyone know how "strict" these kiosks are on the PIN requirement? For example - some of the German train kiosks are technically Chip+PIN but you can get around it with a Chase Chip+Sig card just by punching in four random digits. Alternatively, any chance they take contactless payment instead?

I'm digging around my house for leftover Euro but if I can't find any would really prefer to not have to go find an ATM before leaving the airport.
gooselee is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 8:44 am
  #4  
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Biggleswade
Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Posts: 13,360
You can use contactless payments on board the tram, without the need to buy a ticket but be careful, as not all the validators do this - you need to look for the contactless symbol (Amex and online cards not accepted).

Alternatively, IIRC the Lignes d'Azur app has an NFC ticket function.

I can't remember whether or not the platform ticket machines have contactless. I think they do, but couldn't swear to it.
stut is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 1:40 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,968
Originally Posted by stut View Post
You can use contactless payments on board the tram, without the need to buy a ticket but be careful, as not all the validators do this - you need to look for the contactless symbol (Amex and online cards not accepted).

Alternatively, IIRC the Lignes d'Azur app has an NFC ticket function.

I can't remember whether or not the platform ticket machines have contactless. I think they do, but couldn't swear to it.
Thank you. So not all trams have contactless or I just need to find the right validator machine within each tram? Ideally I can find a ticket machine that takes contactless and just get a multipack.

I saw the phone app option but sadly the phone I use outside the US doesn't have NFC. It may simply be time for me to get a new phone
gooselee is offline  
Old Jun 29, 19, 5:51 pm
  #6  
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Biggleswade
Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Posts: 13,360
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Thank you. So not all trams have contactless or I just need to find the right validator machine within each tram? Ideally I can find a ticket machine that takes contactless and just get a multipack.

I saw the phone app option but sadly the phone I use outside the US doesn't have NFC. It may simply be time for me to get a new phone
Actually, I'm incorrect - am thinking of Dijon, not Nice. So ignore that bit
stut is offline  
Old Jun 30, 19, 6:19 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,968
Originally Posted by stut View Post
Actually, I'm incorrect - am thinking of Dijon, not Nice. So ignore that bit
Hah! No worries. I will try to remember to report back what I find after my trip.
gooselee is offline  
Old Jul 5, 19, 12:56 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,968
For posterity: I ended up with a new phone so just used the NFC app which works very well. However, I did notice that all the ticket machines along the T2 line do have contactless readers if you'd like to pay that way.

Also FWIW, as of July 2019 Google Maps does not have their transit overlay updated to reflect the new tram line. Also seems to struggle with bus routes. Good to read the maps at each stop or download one ahead of time if you need a guide.
gooselee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread