CDG departure - how early to get there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG departure - how early to get there?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Just to report back- I did arrive nearly 3 hours in advance of my flight. I used the elite check in line and was given a card that let me use the priority security line. There were no lines at passport control for either priority or non priority. I was able to get through in just a few minutes and had lots of time in the lounges. Without the priority at security it would have been an extra 20 minutes or so. I'll be back in a few weeks and will probably try to cut it closer. Fortunately the AA lounge had surprisingly good food, so hanging out fit a while is no hardship.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
Current time to get thru CDG for a long haul flight on AA

Hi
This seems to be one of the most recent threads I can find about how much time to allow to navigate thru the various "obstructions" in CDG
We are travelling business class on AA on this Monday.
The AA website says: We recommend arriving to the airport at least 4 hours before departure time to allow for increased security checks.
That seems a bit excessive but I have not flown out of CDG in years....
What is the latest?
Thanks

Last edited by CVO 1K 2 Million; Jun 2, 2018 at 4:27 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million
Hi
This seems to be one of the most recent threads I can find about how much time to allow to navigate thru the various "obstructions" in CDG
We are travelling business class on AA on this Monday.
The AA website says: We recommend arriving to the airport at least 4 hours before departure time to allow for increased security checks.
That seems a bit excessive but I have not flown out of CDG in years....
What is the latest?
Thanks
very excessive for J indeed. I would recommend 2.5 hrs and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I believe Delta and United recommend one´s being at the check in desk 3 hours before scheduled departure, AA has indeed indicated 4 hours. I can´t imagine AA would make such a recommendation without it´s being necessary. Passport lines alone can exceed 1 hour.

I should think those with status of some type could trim the guideline times somewhat but CDG is very unpredictable and one can never be absolute sure of the time he may need for processing formalities.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Dopn't forget that Paris seems especially strike prone this spring/summer, with many days of AF strikes but also some affecting public transportation. I would assume that various categories of airport workers and ATC are also at risk for strikes. If a bunch of AF flights are canceled this can have a ripple effect for several days, including some impact on other carriers. Still, premium cabin travel or elite status could make a difference.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tamino
AA has indeed indicated 4 hours. I can´t imagine AA would make such a recommendation without it´s being necessary.
I can. Four hours is nuts, both in theory and practice. Do you think AA agents are even at the gate fours hours before a flight?
NickB and Goldorak like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I can. Four hours is nuts, both in theory and practice. Do you think AA agents are even at the gate fours hours before a flight?
You should ask AA if their agents are in position at their recommended check in time. I rarely fly AA out of CDG. Usually not but at various times throughout the years, I have arrived 3 hours in advance of scheduled departure time and have needed every minute.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Just to report back- I did arrive nearly 3 hours in advance of my flight. I used the elite check in line and was given a card that let me use the priority security line. There were no lines at passport control for either priority or non priority. I was able to get through in just a few minutes and had lots of time in the lounges. Without the priority at security it would have been an extra 20 minutes or so. I'll be back in a few weeks and will probably try to cut it closer. Fortunately the AA lounge had surprisingly good food, so hanging out fit a while is no hardship.
Next time, try the CX lounge: it is even nicer.

I usually fly BA rather than AA out of CDG 2A/C but I have never seen it rammed to the gills the way 2E can be and it is usually a breeze if you have OW Elite status.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tamino
You should ask AA if their agents are in position at their recommended check in time. I rarely fly AA out of CDG. Usually not but at various times throughout the years, I have arrived 3 hours in advance of scheduled departure time and have needed every minute.
Do you think a CSR in Dallas-or Manilla-will have any credible information on when checkin agents are at their positions at CDG? They are reading from a screen, or just guessing.

I’ve gone through CDG on OW quite a bit and it was never close with three hours, much less four, which I repeat is nuts. I am often through checkin, passpost check and security in an hour or less. I wouldn’t count on that but nor would I waste time arriving ar 8am for a noon flight.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:47 pm

Jumping into this thread after doing some reading through others:

I land at CDG on Sunday morning at 8:20am (AF7, business class)
Departing CDG on Sunday afternoon at 5:40pm (AF3764/Code Share with Belavia, also business)

This gives me approximately 9 hours to land, clear immigration/customs, RER-B to city and then play -- before returning. Thinking I need to leave Paris to return to CDG around 3pm?

I'm arriving in T2E and leaving from T2D. Looks like there's a left luggage area right near there. I have SkyPriority and flying business, only hand luggage.

Those of you who know Paris/CDG -- does this sound doable? I don't need to actually accomplish anything in Paris, just want to get some air, food, and walk around before I'm off to Minsk. If you all think I have time to stop in the 2E arrivals lounge, I'd like to do that as well.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by jfur48

Departing CDG on Sunday afternoon at 5:40pm (AF3764/Code Share with Belavia, also business)

This gives me approximately 9 hours to land, clear immigration/customs, RER-B to city and then play -- before returning. Thinking I need to leave Paris to return to CDG around 3pm?

I'm arriving in T2E and leaving from T2D. Looks like there's a left luggage area right near there. I have SkyPriority and flying business, only hand luggage.

Those of you who know Paris/CDG -- does this sound doable? I don't need to actually accomplish anything in Paris, just want to get some air, food, and walk around before I'm off to Minsk. If you all think I have time to stop in the 2E arrivals lounge, I'd like to do that as well.

Thanks everyone!
You want to be at the T2D by 3pm, not leave Paris at 3pm, right? if so, should be fine
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:52 am

Thanks everyone!
You want to be at the T2D by 3pm, not leave Paris at 3pm, right? if so, should be fine
You think I need 2hrs and 45min to get from T2D to the gate? Even with business/SkyPriority? Good to know!

Last edited by jfur48; Jun 24, 2019 at 8:53 am Reason: misquote
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

Thanks everyone!
Sounds like a good plan !
the luggage storage place is just above the train/RER B station.

You think I need 2hrs and 45min to get from T2D to the gate? Even with business/SkyPriority? Good to know!
of course not. T2D is small. Your plan is good (leaving Paris at 3 pm, you will arrive at 3:45/4 pm in CDG
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:41 pm

On Saturday afternoon at terminal 1 there was a delay of one hour to get through passport control. Add 15 minutes for priority check in and 10-15 minutes for security. If it were me I would follow the advice to arrive at 3, not to leave Paris at 3.
When we arrived in CDG terminal 2 on Thursday there was a 1 hour 20 minute delay at passport control and that was coming from a Schegen country, Malta. An agent said they pick 5 or 6 flights per day for full immigration control. There was a lot of angry people in that line.
I told my wife just be happy they don't go on strike while we are waiting.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Thanks everyone!
What 2E arrivals lounge? AFAIK there's one AF arrivals lounge at CDG and it's between A and C, on the check in level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.