Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by MzGreen
Are they strict about weight? I've never tried to donate because you technically need to weigh 110 pounds. I'm right around 100.
Generally they are real strict with the rules.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Calcifer
One more pint out, two more Oreos in.
Bolding mine.

If ever there was an incentive to call.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Donating blood as we speak

Pint# 83
BP: 130/86*
Pulse: 70*
Blood type: Red

*a little higher than normal because of the events in Boston today
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, Nexus
I'm deferred for 6 months due to struggles maintaining m iron levels.

On the other hand, I was with Mr Wiki last night as he received his framed certificate for 100+ donations. :-)
One fellow was honoured for his 400th!!
Old May 5, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Did another pint of whole blood this morning. Was originally signed up to do platelets even though I've been told previously I don't have a good vein for the return--sure enough, four people looked at my veins, and all gave the thumbs down. Oh well, at least I was back in the window to give whole blood. Plus now I have the confidence to say no if I get another call to do any of the apheresis products.

As a side note, the chairs at the Citi Center blood room are awfully comfy. Much nicer than the ones they set up onsite in my office, although you can't really beat the convenience of giving at work (plus the opportunity to get away from the desk for a while....)
Old May 9, 2013, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Forgot to post, but a pint lighter as of last Friday.

Rather envious of those who can do apheresis -- they're saying platelets are most needed from my type (A-pos) but the return flow does not work with my veins.

Ah well! Whole blood it is.
Old May 9, 2013, 5:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nkedel
Forgot to post, but a pint lighter as of last Friday.

Rather envious of those who can do apheresis -- they're saying platelets are most needed from my type (A-pos) but the return flow does not work with my veins.

Ah well! Whole blood it is.
Apheresis just creeps me out for some reason. There are a lot of people that opt for it at our corporate blood drives though.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by MzGreen
Are they strict about weight? I've never tried to donate because you technically need to weigh 110 pounds. I'm right around 100.
Sorry for the late answer, but I just asked at my location and they don't even have a scale. They ask if you meet the minimum weight requirement, but don't have any way to verify it.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by djk7
Sorry for the late answer, but I just asked at my location and they don't even have a scale. They ask if you meet the minimum weight requirement, but don't have any way to verify it.
I can't say that I've ever been asked to step on a scale when donating blood.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Donating blood as we speak

Pint# 84
BP: 107/72
Pulse: 83*
Blood type: Red

*a little higher than normal as I ran the 2 blocks from my house as I was running late
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
It's my birthday today and I am spending the day in a much better venue than I did last year. . Last year, my birthday was spent in the hospital receiving transfusions. Although the venue for my birthday celebration left a lot to be desired, the blood donated by generous individuals like you was certainly the best gift ever.

A profound thanks to all the Flyertalkers who donate blood on a regular basis.^^^
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by pbjag
It's my birthday today and I am spending the day in a much better venue than I did last year. . Last year, my birthday was spent in the hospital receiving transfusions. Although the venue for my birthday celebration left a lot to be desired, the blood donated by generous individuals like you was certainly the best gift ever.

A profound thanks to all the Flyertalkers who donate blood on a regular basis.^^^
And the thanks go to you ^ and Happy Birthday!!!!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I give religiously every 3 months. My first donation was at 18. Had a bit of a lull when I lived overseas for a few years and again after several surgeries over a 4 year span, but last Monday was donation number 60. They gave me an extra cookie . Just kidding, but they did make a big fuss about it.

And pbjag, the very best to you on your birthday. I hope you have many, many more happy, healthy ones.

Last edited by Finkface; Jun 28, 2013 at 9:51 pm Reason: To wish pbjag a very happy birthday!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
I'm donating today but I'm really nervous.

I'm never good with needles but it's something I've forced myself to do since I needed major surgery and although I didn't need blood, it made me think about it.

Last time I went the supervisor was putting the needle in and he hit a nerve. My arm felt like it was on fire. He quickly called for one of the nurses and I said to myself that as soon as she removed the needle I was going to say that I couldn't donate that day (I am such a coward). However she was so quick at whipping it out and putting it in the vein that I was donating before I realised. In hindsight this is a good thing or I may never have gone back.

My arm and hand tingled for hours afterwards.

But today is the first time since then and I am dreading it. Wish me luck
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Hope it went smoothly, Cassie55! I had a doctor once hit the nerve with me and it is a horrible, horrible feeling. I am surprised the blood center folks would be that bad at it though.

I gave on Sunday--I'm finding that the good thing about giving right when I hit the window is that the mark from where the needle went in last time is still visible, so I can say "There." I have pretty small veins and it's not pretty when they try to get creative, just go with the tried and true...

And pbjag, a happy belated birthday! Glad to hear this one was spent in a much better place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.