Search

Orbis flying eye surgery teaching hospital gets FedEx MD-10-30CF

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Orbis flying eye surgery teaching hospital gets FedEx MD-10-30CF

I know some FlyerTalkers have been involved in supporting NGO Orbis in its global ophthalmologic surgery and teaching mission.

We are an international non-profit bringing people together to fight avoidable blindness. With our network of partners we mentor, train and inspire local teams to fight blindness in their own communities.
FedEx recently donated an MD-10-30CF (DC-10-30 freighter upgraded to MD-11 cockpit and converted to a freighter is comparable to the MD-11 to the point pilots are certificatied to fly both) to Orbis. FedEx Aviation supports and maintains the aircraft and 18 FedEx pilots volunteer their time flying it.

The MD-10-30CF contains everything from seating for passengers or students coming to observe eye surgery on state of the art video equipment to high tech operating room space, cargo modules that provide power, purified water and medical grade oxygen.

See more about Orbis here: https://www.orbis.org/en

and an Aviation Week illustrated page about the new Flying Eye Hospital aircraft here.
WorldLux likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 23, 2018 at 8:52 am
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
$1.99 and maybe other places free, but this is a Mighty Planes episode on Orbis.

JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Link to Orbis web site

In 2017 , with the retired DC-10-10, Orbis
  • Provided over 5,000,000 eye exams and screenings

• Trained 62,000 ophthalmic health professionals

• Performed 96,000 life changing eye surgeries
A cadre of 18 volunteer active and retired FedEx pilots fly and operate the aircraft and aircraft ops

The aircraft is maintained and supported by FedEx Aviation

A group of volunteer medical faculty provides training and eye surgery

Short unnarrated video tour:

Long narrated tour by Celia Yeung, Orbis Communications Manager:

Bruce Johnson, Orbis Director of Operations, MD-10-30CF tech overview:

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 23, 2018 at 8:50 am
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:48 am

As an ophthalmologist myself I can assure everyone that orbis is a very worthwhile cause. Their mission is to train local ophthalmologists to be able to treat their patients rather than have foreigners return year after year- making it sustainable for locals.

There are teaching microscopes and actually lecture rooms for local docs to learn from visiting docs.

I’ve never participated in orbis myself but know two friends that have. They said it was well worth their time. I’ve also heard the director of orbis give a talk at a ophthalmology society conference. Very impressed at what they do.
SanDiego1K and JDiver like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Completely off topic, but an ophthalmologist using the handle schistosomiasis... at least it’s not onchocerciasis. (If it had been, at least Orbis-trained professionals could help...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.