Wiki Posts
Search

€75 Bike Fee - Enforcement?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
€75 Bike Fee - Enforcement?

Hello, I'm planning on flying the long way round from North America to Tokyo, with 2 long-haul Finnair flights along the way.

I'll be connecting to the first Finnair flight from an AA flight. I'm planning on bringing a bike (professionally) packed in a box, and saw that Finnair charges €75 for a bike.

I was therefore wondering--how strictly is this enforced? As I said, my first flight is on AA, and hopefully it will be through-checked. Would I be able to fly under the radar in this scenario? Or would they page me at the gate and demand payment?

If I will be made to pay, is this fee charged per segment (€150 total) or per trip (€75)?
Old May 20, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Is this on one or separate tickets? Had a similar situation with the first leg on aa followed by two more legs on AY. All booked on one Finnair ticket. I was charged $100 for all legs.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyeBye
Is this on one or separate tickets? Had a similar situation with the first leg on aa followed by two more legs on AY. All booked on one Finnair ticket. I was charged $100 for all legs.
Did AA charge you, or did you have to pay before boarding the first AY segment? Just trying to know what to expect.

Somewhat comforting to know that they charge by trip rather than segment though. Thanks!
Old May 20, 2019, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by JMBResona
Did AA charge you, or did you have to pay before boarding the first AY segment? Just trying to know what to expect.

Somewhat comforting to know that they charge by trip rather than segment though. Thanks!
Yes, I had all on one ticket as well. AA checkin guys told me to keep the receipt for the case anyone down the road would ask me if the fee was paid. No one did, though and I doubt anyone checks your allowance once tze bags are checked through and you are checked in all the way.
JMBResona likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Yes, I had all on one ticket as well. AA checkin guys told me to keep the receipt for the case anyone down the road would ask me if the fee was paid. No one did, though and I doubt anyone checks your allowance once tze bags are checked through and you are checked in all the way.
Thanks! I'll go in with the expectation of paying then....

Although I was looking at the Japanese FAQ on the Finnair website (it's my native language) and that had language suggesting that as long as the sum of the dimensions of the box was under 185 cm, no fee would be charged. This language doesn't seem to exist on the English version.

The same Japanese page suggests that bikes that are larger than the standard dimensions would be charged the "oversize bag charge," which coincidentally is also 75EUR/100USD. If it is indeed treated as an oversize bag rather than specialized sports equipment, it would be waived for passengers in J/Oneworld Emerald members, correct?

I'm not sure if the Japanese version is displaying rules specific to Japan flights, but the plot thickens...

Last edited by JMBResona; May 22, 2019 at 5:03 am
Old May 22, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Also in the English language version it says

SPECIAL BAGGAGE

If special baggage, such as sporting equipment, is within the size and weight of a standard bag (including skis up to 220 cm (79 in)), it can be carried as part of your normal baggage allowance. If special baggage exceeds the standard allowance or size, an extra bag charge or a heavy bag charge applies.
https://www.finnair.com/de-en/baggag...a-baggage-fees

and

Some exceptions are applied to skiing equipment and surfboards, but if your equipment exceeds the standard measurements, a heavy bag charge is usually applied.
https://www.finnair.com/de-en/baggag...pecial-baggage

EDIT: The heavy bag fee is for bags of up to 190cm. For smaller and especially foldable bikes that should be no issue, but standard bicycle boxes are way over above the 190cm limit.

Last edited by Jainzar; May 22, 2019 at 7:19 am
Old May 22, 2019, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Thanks! That certainly clears things up.
Was just confused because under "Sporting Equipment" they say
  • A bicycle must be packed in a hard protective case meant for transportation of bicycles. Please note that if your bike is not packed appropriately, the airline may not accept it for transport and the liability in case of damage is limited.
  • The maximum weight for a bicycle is 23 kg. If your bike is heavier, heavy baggage fees apply (up to 32 kg).
  • Electric bikes cannot be transported as checked baggage, even if the battery is disconnected or removed.
  • The transportation fee is €75 or USD/CAD100 for long-haul flights, and €55 within Europe and the Middle East. For tandem bikes the fee is double. Fees are for flights in one direction. You can pay the transportation charge at the airport, or in advance by filling in this form or by contacting Finnair.
And it's not clear if the "transportation fee" is collected independently of the heavy baggage fee.

And in the FAQ they say

Can I take my bike as part of my checked baggage allowance?

Bikes are counted as special items and a fixed transportation charge is collected. See charges.

You can pay the transportation charge at the airport or in advance by filling in this form or by contacting Finnair.

A prior approval from the airline is always needed, because transporting bicycles is not possible on some aircraft.

Read more.
It might be the sleep deprivation, but I was getting mixed messages from the website.
Your quote clears things up though. Thanks again!
Old May 22, 2019, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What has happened before is irrelevant. AA has changed its oversized bag policy effective immediately. On one ticket, the bike will be checked by AA to TYO (presuming no overnight at HEL) and any fees collected by AA. As there is no fee for the bike (unless OP has otherwise exceeded his allowance or the bike is overweight), he will not pay a separate fee to AY.

For the benefit of others, if this happened to be a stopover rather than a connection or on separate tickets, AA would not check to TYO and OP would collect his bags and bike at HEL and then check them in with AY and pay whatever AY's fees may be.
JMBResona likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:49 am

The bike I checked in would have been within my allowance with AA as OWE, but Finnair charges the fee no matter the status. AA has collected that fee for Finnair and I think they will do the same in this case at least if this is Finnair stock.
JMBResona likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I will be surprised if an AA agent collects anything for the bicycle unless it exceeds the newly-published guidelines which are effective immediately.
JMBResona likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

The bike I checked in would have been within my allowance with AA as OWE, but Finnair charges the fee no matter the status. AA has collected that fee for Finnair and I think they will do the same in this case at least if this is Finnair stock.
Yeah, I’m starting to suspect that too.

I contacted them, gave them my trip info, and still insisted that there was a 75EUR universal charge for bicycles, and an extra 75 EUR for bags over the standard dimensions/weights.

I guess we’ll see when I check in...
Old May 23, 2019, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Just as an update - my request to transport a bike was "approved" by AY, but I told them that I would pay at YYZ with the AA agents. I was quoted 75EUR for both segments. It should be said that the AY agent was pushing me hard to process the payment on the phone, because it would be "smoother" that way. When I asked why paying at YYZ would be less smooth, the agent said that I might not be able to. I then asked what would happen if the bike was accepted by AA despite being "unable" to pay, there was no firm response.

Meanwhile, I've been on the phone with AA, and their understanding seems to be that the bike gets to travel for free all the way to my final destination, as AA baggage rules supersede AY rules on this ex-Canada itinerary (all on one ticket, first flight is indeed AA marketed and operated).

I guess we'll see what happens at the check-in counter, I suppose. Hopefully AY doesn't take my bike hostage during my layover at HEL.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:42 am

Looks like you might get lucky. I wouldn't be worried about the bike once it is accepted by AA and loaded onto the first flight. Pulling the bike out of the automated routing might even be more expensive than the fee not collected. I also doubt there is any extra check of allowance, weight or size once the luggage is on route. You are on widebodies all the way through, so there should be plenty of space even without pre-reservation as required by Finnair.
JMBResona likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by JMBResona
... as AA baggage rules supersede AY rules on this ex-Canada itinerary ....
Isn't it the rule of the most significant carrier, whose baggage rules are to be followed for multi carrier itineraries? In which case a North American AA flight is definitely superseded by AY's Trans-Atlantic flight!
Old May 23, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Isn't it the rule of the most significant carrier, whose baggage rules are to be followed for multi carrier itineraries? In which case a North American AA flight is definitely superseded by AY's Trans-Atlantic flight!
This rule applies everywhere but when starting in the US (or maybe even NA in general). There the baggage rules of the first carrier apply.
JMBResona likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.