Wiki Posts
Search

Point question codeshares?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Point question codeshares?

If flying codesshares (AY code on BA or AA) booked on AY website - will I get points of the operating carrier or marketing carrier? I know this must be asked a thousand times but I canīt find the results.

Also how is it about book on AA but fly with AY all the way?

There are offers to the US and funny enough, I can book cheap BA flights on the AY website (1000€ less then AY operated) or I can book everything on AY metal but with AA code on the AA website (also 1000€ cheaper then AY website). So essential I won t be able to book with AY when I want to fly on AY unless I pay 1000€ more.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
With OW it is the marketing carrier that counts. With *A it is the operating carrier.

You can find Kilometer-based codeshare tables for flights with and without a ticket type (AY2501–AY7000) on https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/finnai...innair-flights

Last edited by Jainzar; May 11, 2019 at 4:09 am Reason: Added Link
Old May 11, 2019, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
With OW it is the marketing carrier that counts. With *A it is the operating carrier.

You can find a Kilometre-based codeshare table for flights without a ticket type (AY2501–AY7000) on https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/finnai...innair-flights
So booking on BA (AY codeshare) on the AY website will get me the most points?

But still not as much as if flying on AY - hm nobody needs to understand this system
esledo likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size
So booking on BA (AY codeshare) on the AY website will get me the most points?
I don't know what you compare, but likely AY-coded flights will bring more points since you will also get your 25% Plat-bonus.

Edit: J fights earn 200% if they are AY-coded and F flights 300% plus tier bonus.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
If you collect for BAEC, then BA coded AY flights earn more Avios than AY coded AY flights.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
I don't know what you compare, but likely AY-coded flights will bring more points since you will also get your 25% Plat-bonus.

Edit: J fights earn 200% if they are AY-coded and F flights 300% plus tier bonus.
If I flying HEL - ORD on AY with AY number I ll get 40.000 points. If Iīm going codeshare I don t pass HEL, I ll pass LHR and LHR - ORD on codeshare gives me 25424 points (thats what the calculator say).
Old May 11, 2019, 4:37 am

If I flying HEL - ORD on AY with AY number I ll get 40.000 points. If Iīm going codeshare I don t pass HEL, I ll pass LHR and LHR - ORD on codeshare gives me 25424 points (thats what the calculator say).
25424 plus 25% tier bonus.

More points

You’ll earn 25% more Finnair Plus points for Finnair flights (AY code on the ticket) with the Platinum tier multiplier.
https://www.finnair.com/hk/gb/finnai...tiers/platinum
Ed Size likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:50 am

Distance = 5104 English miles. 5104 mi * 1.609344 km/mi * 2 points/km * 1.25 (plat bonus) * 2 (return trip) = 41070 points in total for a return trip. Isn't this how you count? I think that there could be a minor difference as AY could measure the distance in a different way, but it should give a good approximation.
Ed Size likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

So just to fully understand, one more question:

Points will be the same if I fly AA coded on AY metal or BA coded on BA metal?
Old May 14, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
So just to fully understand, one more question:

Points will be the same if I fly AA coded on AY metal or BA coded on BA metal?
Depends on the route you fly: these are not zone-based even thousand points, but based on the distance in kilometres and the booking class multiplier.
Ed Size likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lkrt
Depends on the route you fly: these are not zone-based even thousand points, but based on the distance in kilometres and the booking class multiplier.
AY is killing me with their politics. I want to fly AY J class, but itīs 1200€ more expensive if itīs AY coded. So if itīs AA coded I donīt get the fixed points - thats just a silly game.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
And if you fly AA code in J it only earns 125% instead of AY code 200% (+1.25* Plat bonus = 250%). So don't do it.
Ed Size likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
AY is killing me with their politics. I want to fly AY J class, but itīs 1200€ more expensive if itīs AY coded. So if itīs AA coded I donīt get the fixed points - thats just a silly game.
Have you checked matrix or prices on OTA? With JV pricing, what you describe shouldn't be possible.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Yeah, usually all JV partners offer the same prices. But not always. I’ve encountered a similar situation before, too.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin
Have you checked matrix or prices on OTA? With JV pricing, what you describe shouldn't be possible.
I did, and itīs happening. Funny thing is I get the same price if I use AY coded BA flights to the US and go back on AY. BUT the first flight to LHR is BA coded and I need to use my 800€ vouchers since they only a few weeks valid anymore, and you only can use them on AY coded flights. My other thought was buying AY Y flights and ask for upgrades, but Y flights doubled in price over night (950€ to ORD). Itīs all a little complicated this time.

I m looking for WAW - ORD by end of Aug. and while AA/BA asking for about 1455€, AY is asking for approx 2100€ (Matrix says itīs 1455€ vs. 2183€). In the same time all cheap OW options in PE or Y ex BER are gone overnight.

Last edited by Ed Size; May 15, 2019 at 1:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.