Wiki Posts
Search

Just a little DYKWIA story

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Just a little DYKWIA story

I arrive at First-class priority check-in for my Y boarding pass and there are a couple of "tourist-looking" guys in front of me, just as hilly-billy wear as me. Sidelines comes a highly "pushy-looking" & "boss-acting" 50-yearish big man on the side of the line trumpeting his way to the desk, doing feverish manners of urgency and superiority, signaling his importance of existence and request to be served next. Says the desk agent, once finished with her current guest, "please stand in line", politely handing to the direction of us. Responds the DYKWIA, "I am an Emerald", whereupon the desk lady again very courteosly heads him to the queue behind us. Shameful walk without sense of shame he installs himself behind me. I can feel the temperature of his mind blowing onto my neck so I just think let's see how this goes and decide to offer him, "you might be in hurry, help yourself jump ahead of me, I've got no hurry anywhere" upon where he, without a thank-you, steps in front of me.
Continued signaling of his urgency he waits his turn surrendered with tangibly high angst. Smiling to myself, finally he arrives at the desk. Abruptly he hands his papers, with all signs of impolite behaviour, grumbling some obscure things I cannot discern what he says, I am interpreting the desk ladys face only to see her frustration with the protagonist. Off he goes as fast as he came and it is my turn. "Good afternoon" I say and deliver the desk agent a few nice smalltalking words, asking her no more than print out my boarding passes. While typing in her stuff, she welcomes me with a wide smile and a blink towards direction where the DYKWIA is running. I return the smile and the blink with complete understanding and my face in turn tell her we sync immediately. Says she, "actually our flight is overbooked in Y, you don't mind an upgrade to J?" It is my turn to thank her and head for the gates with a chill...
While at the gate, I spot my man and decide to follow the game. Boarding announced, he jumps into the priority line, this time making no noise or elbowwork for making his way to pole position, probably due to the embarrasing event that he encountered at check-in. However, he continues to show his annoyance to the fact that there were a couple of faster guys setting themselves in front of him in the line. I decide to follow the man just for the sake to have a peek at his boarding pass to get know his frequent flyer status and seating info. Not sure about the details but he was obviously to be seated in economy and holding an Emerald card. Boarding started, I spot the check-in lady taking care of duties and spotting THE man with a slight sense of disgust I can read on her face. Next she spots me in the line just behind the protagonist and the eye-sweep with me is long enough to have a meaning. Embarquement initiated, something happens. The person in front of the DYKWIA gets stopped with a "wait a second, can I have your boarding pass" after reading the BP. The agent returns the happy camper a new boarding pass with a very clear "your lucky day, you have been upgraded to business class" which the DYKWIA has no way of avoiding to hear. Apparently confused by those famous words, he enters his boarding pass with a green peep to proceed to the tube with his economy boarding pass in hand. Watching the game I can see the face of THE man as confused as during when the previoius lucky camper got the Jack card. Off he continues to the tube with seemingly faltering steps, I am trembling with victory while handing out my boarding pass to the same lady, who in return smiles at me in complete understanding and a blink of an eye that others don't even notice. We are reading each other in harmony and I am about to burst in laughs.
While onboard, seating down I spot my great DYKWIA friend seated just behind the curtain behind me. Adding salt to the wound I make all my effort to show him the distinction between the cabin of Jacks and Tourists. Pre-departure pamper, nice little words with cabin attendant and an overly polite and friendly conversation with attendant about her work and I give all the credit and praise to her for the highly appreciated work they do serving all types of people and requests, be them small or big, easy of difficult. I never eat or drink much on an airplane but this time I make sure all my effort goes to distributing the smell of the solid and liquid indulgences overconsumed throughout the flight. At the end of the flight comes the purser to me for a further chat and thank-you-for-your-loyalty, along with some nice words about being so nice and good customer. Disembarking on arrival, my only thought remains whether that man had any capability to learn from the journey, or if he was just concentrating on a feedback letter to the airline, with a red pen.
Clydez, deleter, Teppo and 33 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I'd suggest this to AY for another short film!
EuroFlash likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Wonderful story!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
You nailed it with the very last sentence! I was already thinking that soon we'll read another "I will never fly FinnAir again" story from someone with a post count of one.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Someone's doing a lot of crowing on this one. Remind me..which of the 2 is the DYKWIA?
mpkz, Cotumely and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapleg
Someone's doing a lot of crowing on this one. Remind me..which of the 2 is the DYKWIA?
The one the story is about. Schadenfreude while not always attractive is not DYKWIA.... Unless it's rubbed in the poor sap's face.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
should make sure this guy see your post.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clydez
should make sure this guy see your post.
That kind of person is definitely not on FT. We are much more civilized here
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
The one the story is about. Schadenfreude while not always attractive is not DYKWIA.... Unless it's rubbed in the poor sap's face.
While there might sound things as Schadenfreude, there was nothing in fact like that. The guy just got what he deserved and that’s it.

Edit: that being said, I wonder how much the gate agent in fact can influence the selection of whom to upgrade, instead of an automatic algorithm predetermining the upgrades? The lady did the right thing, in case the dykwia was potentially on upgrade list?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
BTW, at which airport / airline did this happen?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by FFlash

That kind of person is definitely not on FT. We are much more civilized here
print it out send as letter

and i often wonder, where do these people get their confidence from? they have 0 idea how other people see them?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While there might sound things as Schadenfreude, there was nothing in fact like that. The guy just got what he deserved and that’s it.

Edit: that being said, I wonder how much the gate agent in fact can influence the selection of whom to upgrade, instead of an automatic algorithm predetermining the upgrades? The lady did the right thing, in case the dykwia was potentially on upgrade list?
Watching and enjoying a jerk gets what he deserves is schadenfreude, I think. But it is not DYKWIA.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
BTW, at which airport / airline did this happen?
Alright folks, let’s reveal the truth. I invented this story. U know, boredom sets in at a lounge and I met a an annoying person (not this story) which made me create this story as pastime
Don’t hang me with the revelation! This story could be plausibly true based on all the dykwias and less annoying travelers I have encountered.

Safe travels and ”pipo tiukemmalle”
Steve_Hun and Unionruler like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Don’t hang me with the revelation!
Now we have a fun activity for the next DO.
FFlash likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AY Plat, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Here's my little DYWKIA story, not so interesting or funny but it actually happened. At BKK, boarding to AY's 350 is about to begin. I'm standing in the line when they announce the start of priority boarding, and this self-important-looking middle-aged guy tries to push past me. I gave him a weird look and he waved his boarding pass saying "business class", apparently expecting me to get out of his way since I must have looked like a lowly commoner in his eyes. I just turned around saying "yeah, me too" and ignored him and wouldn't let him push past.

On the plane the guy's seat was behind mine. While enjoying PBD, the purser came to me with her personal welcome and we chatted for a bit, she thanked me for being such a loyal customer and so on. The self-important guy could not have missed it. I was the only plat on the plane as well so this stood out. The crew also asked my meal choices before other pax. Later in the air I couldn't help but smirk as the self-important guy behind me started complaining that his complimentary 60 minutes of wifi ran out. That's when I got the idea to rub it in further and asked the crew nicely if I could have a wifi code for my laptop since I had been using wifi on my phone up to then. The purser came over and was happy to give me a brand new wifi code. Then I just slipped into the comfort of my devices, headphones, and AY drinks menu. Hopefully that guy was mad for the entire flight.
on22cz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.