FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   2019 Promotions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1950990-2019-promotions.html)

lento Dec 28, 2018 4:37 am

2019 Promotions

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9dd722cc46.png

Stay tuned for some "offers" or "gamifications"

OH-LGG Jan 1, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by seldomrfly (Post 30456884)
There is a leaderboard for that point challenge. Two participators started off with 180k points each the first day. 😂

How this game ended? How many points the winner collected?

FFlash Jan 1, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by OH-LGG (Post 30595698)
How this game ended? How many points the winner collected?

This was the stupidest promo I have seen. Unclear what was eligible, flying or partners or both or what. At least I could not read it clearly anywhere, nor could I see anywhere how much of points I was earning during that. How do they think people will play if people don't know how to play?

R2 Jan 1, 2019 10:33 pm

There's another promo on upgrades in the latest edition of the Blue Wings magazine under the heading 'Best from partners' :confused: (page 83):

Northern Europe upgrades 5000 points
Europe upgrades 7000 points.

Sales period runs from 3-23 Jan.

HJP Jan 1, 2019 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by R2 (Post 30597793)
There's another promo on upgrades in the latest edition of the Blue Wings magazine under the heading 'Best from partners' :confused: (page 83):

I’m onboard AY433 right now. IMO it’s funny that I have to google the latest Blue Wings magazine to find this offer, they don’t have the latest magazine onboard or in Nordic Sky portal.

FFlash Jan 2, 2019 2:29 am

Lucky loser me. I have LHR, DXB, AGP widebodies upgraded coming but I cannot go cancel and reupgrade those to save points since the tool says no upgrade space available.

FlyingFinn Jan 2, 2019 4:06 am

Ahh, thanks for the heads up. I was expecting something like this as traditionally there's been one tied to the Travel Fair campaign fares in January.

I guess I'll blow a few points to upgrade some widebody LHR/BRU flights then...

ffay005 Jan 2, 2019 4:14 am

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn (Post 30598453)

If there's availability. Promos usually require you to process it online so waitlisting won't work. :(

intuition Jan 2, 2019 4:30 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 30598287)

Lucky loser me. I have LHR, DXB, AGP widebodies upgraded coming but I cannot go cancel and reupgrade those to save points since the tool says no upgrade space available.

No worries!
Just book some more flights ;)

FFlash Jan 2, 2019 8:05 am

Will do, but for segmenthunting only ARN etc are cheap enough and not worth the incredible seat and high-quality culinary meal concept aka riistaleipä :)

on22cz Jan 2, 2019 8:46 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 30599072)
Will do, but for segmenthunting only ARN etc are cheap enough and not worth the incredible seat and high-quality culinary meal concept aka riistaleipä :)

You seem to be too picky :D

OH-LGG Jan 2, 2019 11:04 pm

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...42f772f44e.png
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...88f02812ba.png

OH-LGG Jan 2, 2019 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn (Post 30598453)

You Saved a blow :)

lkrt Jan 3, 2019 12:04 am

Oh wow. Quite remarkable that they are acknowledging their sweet spots.

FFlash Jan 3, 2019 1:29 am

Originally Posted by lkrt (Post 30602695)
Oh wow. Quite remarkable that they are acknowledging their sweet spots.

Man yeah. I saved my "nagging" too now :D

manywhere Jan 3, 2019 1:31 am

And bye bye to service fees this year! ^
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3761850348.jpg

kanamurva Jan 3, 2019 1:38 am

Does removing service fee mean that the ticket prices get closer to 3rd party travel agency (like ticket.fi) prices?

florens Jan 3, 2019 1:50 am

Originally Posted by manywhere (Post 30602853)

Did they also remove fees from other countries, for example the CHF 15 fee from Switzerland? Or does this apply only for exFI tickets?

FlyingFinn Jan 3, 2019 1:55 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG (Post 30602650)
You Saved a blow :)

Ahh, I was wondering why HEL-BRU was still pricing up as 10K... Oh well, maybe I'll save my miles on something better then.

manywhere Jan 3, 2019 2:29 am

Originally Posted by florens (Post 30602894)
Did they also remove fees from other countries, for example the CHF 15 fee from Switzerland? Or does this apply only for exFI tickets?

At least https://www.finnair.com/ch/gb/ says yes, CHF 15 fee also removed.

lento Jan 3, 2019 3:16 am

Why did I have to buy 4 tickets on 31st December :mad:

OH-LGG Jan 3, 2019 3:25 am

We removed our service fee but increased flight base fare or YR?

lento Jan 3, 2019 4:42 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG (Post 30603130)

We removed our service fee but increased flight base fare or YR?

You are right, even after without service fee, same tickets are now 0.55 EUR more expensive

Exact 5 EUR increase in base fare and 0.55 in taxes, fees and charges minus 5 EUR service fee.

ffay005 Jan 3, 2019 4:54 am

Originally Posted by lento (Post 30603305)
You are right, even after without service fee, same tickets are now 0.55 EUR more expensive

Exact 5 EUR increase in base fare and 0.55 in taxes, fees and charges minus 5 EUR service fee.

How stupid do they think we are... :(

intuition Jan 3, 2019 5:38 am

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 30603338)
How stupid do they think we are... :(

There was a typo. Text should read:
WE REMOVED OUR SERVICE, FEEBLE.

FFlash Jan 3, 2019 6:03 am

until service fee comes back again, the 5€ tix price increase staying

OH-LGG Jan 3, 2019 12:18 pm

Funny how they use A359 C class picture for promoting European upgrades but all European A359 routes are blocked in this campaign. :(

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8a11e5d82c.png

ffay005 Jan 3, 2019 1:26 pm

I can't decide what to do with the upgrade offer. I'd upgrade my upcoming A359 to LHR in a heartbeat, but that can't be done. Most of my other flights don't have F availability, with the exception of a morning flight to MXP, for which I currently have an exit seat. 7000 points for an empty middle and some uninspiring eggthing, yes or no? If it was a lunch or dinner flight, I'd probably take it.

florens Jan 3, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 30605481)
I can't decide what to do with the upgrade offer. I'd upgrade my upcoming A359 to LHR in a heartbeat, but that can't be done. Most of my other flights don't have F availability, with the exception of a morning flight to MXP, for which I currently have an exit seat. 7000 points for an empty middle and some uninspiring eggthing, yes or no? If it was a lunch or dinner flight, I'd probably take it.

You can also order a special meal and enjoy that for breakfast if you don't like the eggs. ;)

EuroFlash Jan 3, 2019 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 30605481)

Same here. Got some AMS-HEL flights comin up with F availability but I just don't know....
Kinda reallly feels like a waste of points to spend those on a meal. Because basically that's it, as all the other benefits I already get as AY Gold.
Rather saving the points for a LH upgrade....

intuition Jan 4, 2019 3:24 am

The last few posts kind of summarizes how spoilt the tier member in Y is :-)
Not even at promotional prices are upgrades to J of interest!

Maybe Finnair should go one-class again and be done with the worthless J class already!

EuroFlash Jan 4, 2019 3:35 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 30608009)

Maybe Finnair should go one-class again and be done with the worthless J class already!

Yup that's because there is a way better alternative to spend the points on, at least for me there is :-) And honestly, 7K or 10K points.... potato potato.
I fly mainly SH in economy light tickets, so very little points for me. They're quite precious.

FFlash Jan 4, 2019 4:19 am

Unlike on this ;) Oneclass is so boring!

Trav1970 Jan 4, 2019 4:54 am

This goes back to what the additional benefits against the points / vouchers / money gives the tier member. If upgrades for money would give tier points according to J class, their attractiveness would be much higher in my eyes. OTOH if the upgrade is from an exit row seat to normal row in J in a narrow body aircraft, the added value is not much beyond the meal.

I traveled recently onboard a BA 747 in club world. This was on AY code. At check in I was offered an upgrade to F for around 600 euros. I had a hard time justifying why I should give up my upper deck window seat for a better meal, with no guarantee that AY would credit the points according to F (or even AY J in worst case - messing up with the ticket could maybe have changed the earnings to BA J). We’ll, no pajamas this time.

intuition Jan 4, 2019 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Trav1970 (Post 30608193)
This goes back to what the additional benefits against the points / vouchers / money gives the tier member.

Oh, I agree. And it shows in the thread about "more reasonable price for SH J" too.

There is virtually nothing to be had in J that the tier member doesn't already have in Y. As you say, the paid J earns more points but that is about it.
The thing is, even if they offered the upgrades for 50 points, I wonder if people are going to think it is worths the hustle. You give up exit row for a meal - who will waste points on that?

Regarding the earnings: I don't think the points-according-to-original-class thing is dicisive. I think it is about Y is too good and J is not good enough:
a) tier member already have "everything" in Y
and
b) SH J in itself is nothing extra.

So for the upgrades to be more valuable you'd have to do a little of both, say:
a) remove free drink and free seat selection for tier member i Y
b) go with proper 2+2 J

If such changes were to happen, I bet the upgrades would instantaneously become more valuable!

I know no one thinks 2+2 J will ever exist in Europe, but it is not that uncommon in other parts of the world.

Trav1970 Jan 4, 2019 7:14 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 30608604)
Oh, I agree. And it shows in the thread about "more reasonable price for SH J" too.

There is virtually nothing to be had in J that the tier member doesn't already have in Y. As you say, the paid J earns more points but that is about it.
The thing is, even if they offered the upgrades for 50 points, I wonder if people are going to think it is worths the hustle. You give up exit row for a meal - who will waste points on that?

Regarding the earnings: I don't think the points-according-to-original-class thing is dicisive. I think it is about Y is too good and J is not good enough:
a) tier member already have "everything" in Y
and
b) SH J in itself is nothing extra.

So for the upgrades to be more valuable you'd have to do a little of both, say:
a) remove free drink and free seat selection for tier member i Y
b) go with proper 2+2 J

If such changes were to happen, I bet the upgrades would instantaneously become more valuable!

I know no one thinks 2+2 J will ever exist in Europe, but it is not that uncommon in other parts of the world.

Interesting ideas. So basically:

a) Make the standard product more inferior, to increase the attractiveness of the J upgrade. I am sure this would drive away quite a few tier members.
b) Invest in the J offering to actually make it better.

I wonder which would make better business sense.

BTW - Years back I remember flying one of the Baltic carriers (Lithuanian air?) which was operated on what apparently was a second-hand US domestic aircraft. They did have the proper 2+2 seating in J.

ffay005 Jan 4, 2019 7:39 am

I do value the empty middle seat in J, especially on longer flights. But I also value the legroom in exit row, and more so than the empty middle.

AY used to have more pitch in the front rows of the A320 family, but I guess that was lost a long time ago.

SuloL Jan 4, 2019 7:40 am

I think my personal threshold would be somewhere along 5k points for SH upgrade (excluding N. Europe), where I would start constantly taking up the offer. Here are some of the smaller things I value in SH J:

- Meal (these have improved so much that they beat most of the outstation lounge offerings)
- More private toilet at the front (also closer by)
- Guaranteed empty middle seat
- A little extra legroom at row 1 (consequently, if row 1 was not available, I wouldn't probably upgrade)

Proper 2-2 SH business class to me seems to be the standard everywhere else except Europe. Would be interesting to see the analysis on how much 8 proper seats up front would hurt or benefit the airline.

OH-LGG Jan 4, 2019 7:42 am

Originally Posted by SuloL (Post 30608741)
- More private toilet at the front (also closer by).

In economy class someone with You in toilet? :p

SuloL Jan 4, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG (Post 30608748)
In economy class someone with You in toilet? :p

I heard that's a first class perk :cool: