FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Change from status holding FF number after selecting seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1943907-change-status-holding-ff-number-after-selecting-seats.html)

AJ747M Dec 4, 2018 12:02 pm

Change from status holding FF number after selecting seats

I've got two long hauls coming up on Finnair. I'm on the A350, and have selected 42A/L on outbound & inbound for free with OWS status. Will I lose these seats if I change my frequent flyer program to one that isn't oneworld/where I have no status? Ideally I'd like to credit to Alaska instead of Cathay, but won't change the FF number if it means risking losing the seats.

Thanks in advance.

ffay005 Dec 4, 2018 12:57 pm

Either you will lose the seats or you will need to pay for them.

AJ747M Dec 4, 2018 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 30498568)
Either you will lose the seats or you will need to pay for them.

Suspected that might be the case. Will just credit to Cathay then - thanks for the answer.

ff_flyer Dec 4, 2018 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by AJ747M (Post 30498866)
Suspected that might be the case. Will just credit to Cathay then - thanks for the answer.

No experience, but would it make sense to keep the CX FF number on reservation until boarding and then ask gate staff to change it to AS FF number just before they are closing the flight for boarding?

AJ747M Dec 4, 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by ff_flyer (Post 30498923)
No experience, but would it make sense to keep the CX FF number on reservation until boarding and then ask gate staff to change it to AS FF number just before they are closing the flight for boarding?

Yeah that could be possible. Risky on the outbound trip as I could lose the seat selection for the inbound flight, unless it's possible to change the FF number after flying the first segment?

ffay005 Dec 4, 2018 3:22 pm

It is possible to change FFP# at any time, crediting the outbound and inbound flights to different programmes. Might not be 100 % seamless, though, and miles might get credited to the wrong programme.

Steve_Hun Dec 4, 2018 9:49 pm

You will not lose the seat selection, but until you pay the fees due for the selected seat, you wont be able to complete check-in.

Tokyoite Feb 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by AJ747M (Post 30498374)
I've got two long hauls coming up on Finnair. I'm on the A350, and have selected 42A/L on outbound & inbound for free with OWS status. Will I lose these seats if I change my frequent flyer program to one that isn't oneworld/where I have no status? Ideally I'd like to credit to Alaska instead of Cathay, but won't change the FF number if it means risking losing the seats.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same boat. how did it go?

AJ747M Feb 20, 2019 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite (Post 30802279)
I'm in the same boat. how did it go?

Just kept the status-holding FF in the end, so can't comment unfortunately.