Community
Wiki Posts
Search

State of Platinum level service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Indeed FFlash anything on the Iberian continent is nicely split up in two (in my case sometimes 3) flights. This coupled with horrible flight times to/from e.g. LIS.

I recently flew a codeshare AY+TP with similar length flights. Although the TP shorthaul seating leaves a lot to be desired, at least you are preoccupied with TP service, unlike AY where there's one round of ghastly blueberry juice and then 2-3 rounds of harassment to pick up those colourant-marinated plastic cups.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: QR Gold AY Plat
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by loimu
This is the problem with online journalism: you can basically turn anything into an article, regardless whether or not the topic has any news value. (This article is currently on the list of most read articles on kauppalehti.fi, though, which unfortunately speaks against my point...)

It definitely looks like AY customer service could have handled the 7 EUR sandwich situation better but otherwise the guy's rant on his Linkedin post doesn't seem too justified to me. Anyone who flies a lot has probably seen similar and worse customer service failures and this wouldn't warrant being addressed in a newspaper, even though the sandwich itself may not have been the whole point.

"Offering only one free drink for plats feels only provocative and it's a petty gesture towards their top-tier customers." "Lufthansa gives you free beer and sandwiches." "A loyal customer doesn't care whether the ticket costs EUR 100 or 110, you should reward the loyal customer accordingly". Hmm.. actually you get a free choice of seats at any time, a free piece of luggage, the use of priority queues, food and beverages at the lounge and free champagne on board etc. Looking at this example, I have no problem paying EUR 10 extra (or more) for that and wouldn't take pride on being a loyal customer and a patriot in such equation, it's only the smart thing to do. And not many loyal or non-loyal customer would choose Lufthansa and their 5.55AM departure and a connection in Germany to save 10 EUR. And I would never recommend to let the fact that LH serves a 100-gram sandwich onboard affect anyone's choice of carriers, unless someone wants a proper sandwich or other food onboard in which case you'd have to avoid Lufthansa.

Also, in general, I presume this may not be the most popular opinion but I fully understand if an airline wants to cut costs by means of not including alcohol in their ticket prices.
I totally agree, and this was the comment I wanted to make on this news story.
He 100% should have been refunded on the missing pre-order sandwich. The seller cannot charge for something that was not delivered. All the other points, are really pointless. Finnair Plus is very rewarding with all the free upgrades you get when reaching AND maintaining status levels, free champagne in economy class for platinums, etc.

I switched from Lufthansa to Finnair maybe 5 years ago for the following reasons (in order of importance):
  • LH experienced/s constant strikes, to the point that each year they send apologies with some M&M points
  • In Y/J - the then new euro-seat is uncomfortable even on short flights
  • LH old business class was outdated, and then new one was equally unimpressive.
  • Within Europe when traveling via MUC/FRA, you have to wake-up super early to catch your first flight in the morning
  • LH stopped serving warm meals on flights within Europe. fair enough - so did Finnair, but then I would prefer direct flights.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
OK, so I'll jump in, too

1/ Y service in Europe (I'm *G and OWE, so comparable level) - on the ground similar experience, though the +1 luggage makes more sense with AY Light fares (none with LH Light). In the air - neither is worth mentioning, but the unofficial seat-block and free champers on AY is always welcome

2/ C in Europe - quite similar.

3/ Timing, transfers - FRA is on my top3 list of "do everything to avoid transit" airports (with LHR and CDG) 6 am departures or 1:30 am arrivals are also well worth avoiding. MUC is OK, I use it when I can to transit.

4/ Y on longhaul - sorry, can't comment

5/ C in longhaul - the schedules/total travel times just make me so not wanting to fly non-direct (Asia)

6/ FFP - 100k miles for SEN is hard. When LH gutted their P class (discount biz) earning to 100% I knew it was time to jump ship. TK is a nice *A programme, matched AY status a few years ago, now on my nth year renewing. Quite easy to maintain *G.

All in all, LH is OK, but for short-haul makes no sense to me to change. Yes, use them when sensible, but not worth switching the whole flight pattern.
lento and flymetoHEL like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY,CA,CZ
This time Mr. Kaukinen reviewed his notes from investment banking years in the City. He then took his design tools to sketch an infographic about possible losses for Finnair, that he estimates between 7,9~23,7 million euros. Reversed, same would present more than 26 mega-euro opportunity.

https://www.kauppalehti.fi/uutiset/h...7-780a4452f84e
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by feixing
This time Mr. Kaukinen reviewed his notes from investment banking years in the City. He then took his design tools to sketch an infographic about possible losses for Finnair, that he estimates between 7,9~23,7 million euros. Reversed, same would present more than 26 mega-euro opportunity.

https://www.kauppalehti.fi/uutiset/h...7-780a4452f84e
Perhaps Finnair thinks that let mr. Kaukinen go, there will be an SK-unhappy ms. Kaukinen moving in from SK to AY and later when mr. Kaukinen is disappointed with Lufthansa, he will eventually come back. Or something along that. Just like telecom-operators. All of them provide so lousy service that at one point customer changes camp, just to see that it is equally bad at the other side and in the end there is no competition. All have quite similar product, quite similar pricing and equally bad service. Stiff market.
SPBanker and flymetoHEL like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:33 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by FFlash
Perhaps Finnair thinks that let mr. Kaukinen go, there will be an SK-unhappy ms. Kaukinen moving in from SK to AY and later when mr. Kaukinen is disappointed with Lufthansa, he will eventually come back. Or something along that. Just like telecom-operators. All of them provide so lousy service that at one point customer changes camp, just to see that it is equally bad at the other side and in the end there is no competition. All have quite similar product, quite similar pricing and equally bad service. Stiff market.
Exactly this. Sometimes I wonder how naive some people are...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Isn't that what happens when both seller and buyer only care about lowest price?

May it be flights, telecom or anything else we consume these days.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/* Gold
I always thought AY Plats get both a free drink AND something to eat (e.g. sandwich) in Y if they wish so so but apparently it is not the case since he didn't get a free sandwich?
Even for me as a mere mortal OWE I always get offered a drink and quite often also something to eat (which I usually decline but thought was an extra Plat perk just generously also offered to me from time to time?) on domestic and international AY flights. This is true especially on the early morning flights were they don't serve alcohol.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Kirtap, in Y, Plats get a free drink. No free food. I've certainly never been offered any. Lumos get a free item of food from the SkyBistro menu. They do, however, serve a second free drink if you ask nicely. Might of course vary from crew member to crew member.

What do you mean by early morning flight with no alcohol? The whole SkyBistro menu is available on early morning flights, including a G&T at 6 am, should you so wish.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
OK, so I'll jump in, too

1/ Y service in Europe (I'm *G and OWE, so comparable level) - on the ground similar experience, though the +1 luggage makes more sense with AY Light fares (none with LH Light). In the air - neither is worth mentioning, but the unofficial seat-block and free champers on AY is always welcome

2/ C in Europe - quite similar.

3/ Timing, transfers - FRA is on my top3 list of "do everything to avoid transit" airports (with LHR and CDG) 6 am departures or 1:30 am arrivals are also well worth avoiding. MUC is OK, I use it when I can to transit.

4/ Y on longhaul - sorry, can't comment

5/ C in longhaul - the schedules/total travel times just make me so not wanting to fly non-direct (Asia)

6/ FFP - 100k miles for SEN is hard. When LH gutted their P class (discount biz) earning to 100% I knew it was time to jump ship. TK is a nice *A programme, matched AY status a few years ago, now on my nth year renewing. Quite easy to maintain *G.

All in all, LH is OK, but for short-haul makes no sense to me to change. Yes, use them when sensible, but not worth switching the whole flight pattern.
As *G and OWE, economy LH on finnair wins every day over lufthansa.
1) No economy comfort
2) Much longer travel time and transiting in FRA/MUC. I seriously doubt anyone would choose HEL-FRA-NRT for any other reason than cheap price. And if you are flying for work, cheap price will not matter so much.
3) Opup is only to PE, not to business.

In SH complaining about getting food onboard is just ridiculous. Lufthansa's bread is poor option compared to available food in lounge. Furthermore lufthansa downgraded their 0.5l warsteiners to 0.33l.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/* Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
What do you mean by early morning flight with no alcohol? The whole SkyBistro menu is available on early morning flights, including a G&T at 6 am, should you so wish.
Ok, I have actually never asked for alcohol on a 6AM or 7 AM domestic flight but been proactively told that "we are sorry that we don't have any alcohol because of the early time of day but would you like a smoothie, sandwich etc...")
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
You could very well be right about domestic flights, haven't taken one in years. On European flights, alcohol is readily availbale at any time of day.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
You could very well be right about domestic flights, haven't taken one in years. On European flights, alcohol is readily availbale at any time of day.
Domestic flights indeed have no alcohol before 9am, as per the Finnish law.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Who needs booze before 9AM?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Who needs booze before 9AM?
Well it can be boozzie-o’clock for someone travelling from auzzie to RVN
ffay005, vulle and SPBanker like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.