Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY lounge at LHR ; boarding psss says No.1 lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY lounge at LHR ; boarding psss says No.1 lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
There is a section in the OneWorld rules stating the entry conditions to OneWorld lounges.

There it is said:
Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status.
If the meaning is not clear to some people, it must be a generation/cultural thing.

I have only run to this once, many years ago at FRA when Finnair offered a 10€ coupon in lieu of lounge access.

Iberia Lounge attendant: sorry, but your Finnair Silver Card doesn’t give you access and the lounge Finnair uses is under renovation.
Me: But I have a Business class ticket on a OneWorld airline.
Attendant: ”Sigh”.
Picks up an A4 sheet of calculus paper and manually adds my ff number under 5 to 6 other ones.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:59 am

Finnair is trying to save money by directing you to a cheaper lounge. They do this at several airports including BKK.

When you access a OW partner lounge, BA/CX/QF/AA or whomever will have some kind of billing agreement where AY will automatically get billed a certain amount.

Finnair have figured out that in certain airports, it's actually cheaper for them to negotiate a seperate billing agreement with 3rd party contract lounges. These tend to be lower quality than the One World lounges you could otherwise access.

Now, Finnair cannot force you to use these lounges as there are certain One World rules which have to be respected. These rules include:
  • Business Class passengers get access to any One World Business Class Lounge.
  • First Class passengers get access to any One World Business Class or First Class Lounge.
  • OWS passengers get access to any One World Business Class Lounge.
  • OWE passengers get access to any One World Business Class or First Class Lounge.

If you have a status and ticketed premium class ticket, the highest access allowance will work. E.g a OWE travelling in Business Class gets access to First Class Lounges.

Finnair knows this and cannot deny/change these rules. However, they can neglect to inform you of them and "encourage" you to a 3rd party lounge as it seems they now do at LHR according to the OP.

Most of the time you shouldn't even bother with the 3rd party lounges. Especially at LHR, the One World options in terminal 3 are much better.

The CX lounge is generally regarded as the best at the moment. It has a seperate first class / business class section. The business class section has a noodle bar restaurant (they have more than just noodles), as well as a full food buffet. There are really good showers and there is a full cocktail bar that serves Moet champagne. It's not free pour but they will give you as much as you want. CX also brews their own beer and you can get a bottle of this lovely stuff in addition to a draft Heineken/generic lager. For Brits, you'll be pleased to know that they have a full English breakfast buffet until 12 noon.

The CX First lounge tends to be a little quieter. It has a proper restaurant in it where you can order from a waiter. It has free pour Moet too. It shares the same showers with the Business Class Lounge.

The QF Lounge should be opening in the next few weeks. Apparently it's going to be super nice so if you are reading this in the future, definitely check this one out too.

The AA Lounge is a little dated, though its also due for a refurbishment and to be re-branded as a 'Flagship' lounge in 2018. It has more American style food (think waffles + cookies).

The BA Lounge has a Galleries (Business) and a First (First) section. The Galleries Lounge is the worst of all the One World lounges in T3. It's usually very busy. Almost nobody who goes there is aware that they are allowed access to the CX or other lounges. It's far cheaper for BA if they stay in the Galleries lounges. The First lounge is slightly better in terms of food + drink, but the CX First is far better than this. There are showers here but they not very elegant. Many people say that they remind them of hospital showers.

There are two 3rd party contract lounges. The Aspire Lounge and the No. 1 lounge. Both are Priority Pass lounges and several smaller airlines use each.

The No. 1 lounge is much bigger. There is a small buffet of mostly muffins and similar snacks. There is also a menu which you can order from which is pretty decent for a contract lounge. Drinks are from soda fountains and champagne is a paid for extra. The lounge is usually very busy with more of the leisure traveler/holiday type so it gets quite noisy. Compared to most PP lounges, it's quite good. But for AY pax, I wouldn't recommend it.

The other 3rd party lounge is the Aspire Lounge. It's smaller and sometimes so busy that they don't let PP in. There is a small hot food buffer which is similar to the BA Business lounge. Nothing to write home about though. There are showers too, but you have to pay extra for these.

So in summary, go directly to the CX (or QF) lounge and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. The One World rules are very clear about this. If a check-in agent tries to direct you to the No. 1 lounge, just smile and not. Then ignore them and head to the CX one. They will let you in there, even if you have to be a little persistent. It's likely that the staff know the rules, but have been trained by management to direct you elsewhere to save AY some money. Remember, this is not the staff's fault so don't get angry with them. They are just doing their job.
Gobber and BusinessDude like this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:50 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Quite detailed and relevant description above. I tend to cause a double charge to Finnair by having almost a gourmet meal in CX first section and then go for a drink or two (with wider variety) in BA first section enroute to AY departure gate somewhere between 21 and 26. JL seems to direct their first class passengers to BA lounge with attendants to guide and serve, quite classy!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Quite detailed, yes. Is there a formal document you can point us to Frequent flyer 101?
If the problem is only that staff is trained to disobey the rules, a formal document would be handy. Many of us know from real life that accessing the lounge of our own choice isn't as easy as just claiming you know the rules better than the staff.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
Quite detailed, yes. Is there a formal document you can point us to Frequent flyer 101?
If the problem is only that staff is trained to disobey the rules, a formal document would be handy. Many of us know from real life that accessing the lounge of our own choice isn't as easy as just claiming you know the rules better than the staff.
The staff aren't being trained to disobey the rules. They are being trained to encourage you to visit the 3rd party lounge. I'm absolutely sure that they are also trained that if really questioned about it, they should not violate the rules.

You can view One World lounge rules here: https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

You may print it out, but it is not necessary. I've never experienced a situation where a lounge dragon would refuse entry when it was allowed under One World rules.

Just say something like this: "According to the One World rules, I am allowed access to this business class lounge as I hold a same day international business class ticket on another One World carrier". Nobody will refused you after you say that.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
Just say something like this: "According to the One World rules, I am allowed access to this business class lounge as I hold a same day international business class ticket on another One World carrier". Nobody will refused you after you say that.
Try the BA lounge @ORD - good luck
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:18 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
...I'm absolutely sure that they are also trained that if really questioned about it, they should not violate the rules.
Good to now you are really sure about it. For me, out here in reality, it doesn't really work this way. You should get out more.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Aviating
Try the BA lounge @ORD - good luck
Haven't been there, but I can imagine they may have space issues. Not sure what the rules are for prioritizing passengers entry there. I'd guess that this is an entirely different situation to whats happening at LHR T3 however.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Im a sure quite a few people in the know ‘Lounge Hop’ as I did on this occasion
Does that mean AY gets a multiple bill?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: AY LUMO
On Saturday at LHR we were 2 Plats and going to No.1. Reception told us that we should go to CX.
But we wanted to see and feel No.1 so we had to dig PP and then No.1's gate opened.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Yes, for some time now No1 Lounge hasn't been contracted anymore for Finnair.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:47 am

There was still Finnair logo at entrance No1
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Where? At least there was no logo on the digital screens downstairs that show the contracted airlines. This was on Wednesday.

It has been my understanding that all lounge invites issued now invite to the CX lounge, is this correct?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

It is also still listed as the lounge on ay.com
Attached Images  
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
Where? At least there was no logo on the digital screens downstairs that show the contracted airlines. This was on Wednesday.
Upstairs and left from the desk.
I dont remember was it stand standing on the floor or was it hanging on the wall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.