Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY+ Plat benefits flying AA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OWE
Originally Posted by aama
Well this is a new one. And you're 100% sure you didn't have an AAdvantage FF on the reservation?

Maybe it's an IT glitch, because if not, and all OWEs are put on the same line as EXPs, all hell is going to break loose within the AAdvantage community
Yep, 100% sure I didn't have my AAdvantage FF on my reservation. I do have it, but never used it and definitely no status on AA. Only AY.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Haven't flown domestic AA since became Plat, but as OWS I could always ask for same day flight change and have always cleared from the standby list, but have never been put on an upgrade standby w/ AA.

Regardless if this is a real policy now, or an IT glitch, good for you ^
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Agree, as OWE same day flight change same day standby works (you get very high up on the stby list). Never seen that I would have been on the upgrade list. A few positive surprises with upgrades on AA, but this is very rare and not through the list.

Good news if this has changed recently.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:43 am

One more perk. AA waives overweight charge for OWE when flying in economy, so one can get up to 32kg bags in, free of charge.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:55 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Courmisch
The complementary snack is pseudo-randomly delivered as far as I can tell. Much higher failure rate than the AY complimentary drink.
My experience as well, unfortunately.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by aama
Well this is a new one. And you're 100% sure you didn't have an AAdvantage FF on the reservation?

Maybe it's an IT glitch, because if not, and all OWEs are put on the same line as EXPs, all hell is going to break loose within the AAdvantage community
I haven't flown AA while Plat, but when I was OWS 1,5 years ago I had a change to take look at the flight manifest and it showed my AY Gold status as AA Plat, so probably it has been like that forever and maybe recently it has been applied also to upgrade waitlist or IT glitch as mentioned..
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Originally Posted by Furry
I haven't flown AA while Plat, but when I was OWS 1,5 years ago I had a change to take look at the flight manifest and it showed my AY Gold status as AA Plat, so probably it has been like that forever and maybe recently it has been applied also to upgrade waitlist or IT glitch as mentioned..
This upgrade list thing for OWE/OWS must be a mistake. Hope it will last at least next 1.5 months since I will be flying JFK-LAS in main cabin extra.

No op-ups or snacks lately on AA but always free drinks.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:31 am

I have always received snack and drink if available on the flight. Some times pro-actively, but always if requested. As said OWE shows up as EXP on the manifest and it shows up on the PDA:s the crew have as well.

One thing you have to make sure is that your OWE status has to show up on the BP for all of this to work. The trick is that for AAFF# it is enough that the FF# is in the reservation. For AYFF# the FF# has to be entered to all segments separately (otherwise no tier benefits and no FFP registered to AY). But as said once the status is shown on the BP everything is ok.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Aviating
One thing you have to make sure is that your OWE status has to show up on the BP for all of this to work. The trick is that for AAFF# it is enough that the FF# is in the reservation. For AYFF# the FF# has to be entered to all segments separately (otherwise no tier benefits and no FFP registered to AY). But as said once the status is shown on the BP everything is ok.
Okay, so how do I make sure it is entered there for every segment? When I look at my booking at aa.com it recognizes my AYFF#, but that might not be enough?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Okay, so how do I make sure it is entered there for every segment? When I look at my booking at aa.com it recognizes my AYFF#, but that might not be enough?
If your AYFF# is on the boarding pass, there is EMD (Or Emerald) written on the bp you are ok. The boarding group should as well be 2 and there should be the text PRIORITY printed on the bp.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Poster

To report back:
- OLCI worked just fine from on board AY A330, and hotel printed BP
- tried to "reprint" BP at JFK kiosk, did not work because flight was out of LGA
- no prio security available at LGA terminal B, concourse D
- AC access OK
- Emerald and Priority showed on BP, Group 2
- no snacks available on my 2-hour 1 minute flight
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
To report back:
- OLCI worked just fine from on board AY A330, and hotel printed BP
- tried to "reprint" BP at JFK kiosk, did not work because flight was out of LGA
- no prio security available at LGA terminal B, concourse D
- AC access OK
- Emerald and Priority showed on BP, Group 2
- no snacks available on my 2-hour 1 minute flight
What about upgrade waitlist? Did your name appear there?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adrs
What about upgrade waitlist? Did your name appear there?
No, it didn't. And the flight left with two empty seats in F.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OWE
Hmmmph. Maybe I was just lucky with my upgrade and got it because Y was overbooked. So getting to upgrade waitlist is not an automatic benefit. But when it happens your OW status might get u on the list.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE
Originally Posted by finhub
Yep, 100% sure I didn't have my AAdvantage FF on my reservation. I do have it, but never used it and definitely no status on AA. Only AY.
I've always gotten a snack (but often also declined, short flights...stuffed in the lounge), and always drinks, as many as I've asked for. Once the FA brought three Jack Daniels bottles without me asking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.