FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1701018-finnair-hoepoe-hoepoe-nonsense-thread.html)

kauppias Jul 19, 2016 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Lappe (Post 26934276)
Hilton Diamond from BAEC GGL. Not really a match but a perk.

Its a great perk but Hilton matched quite generously so there are ALOT of diamonds these days! But I must say I have been very pleased with treatment as a diamond member at Hilton properties! 👍👍

lkrt Jul 19, 2016 3:08 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 26934854)
This actually has the possibility to go somewhere. When we were in HOTT, they asked about stuff like that. I think it wouldn't be impossible for Finnair to strike such a deal with a chain.
Hotel perks today are non-existent. Yeah, we can earn points but that is it. I'd rather take the cash-back solutions then.

I'm really happy if they are contemplating this. Preferably Hilton or SPG tier memberships would be the most valuable, while anything really goes (being lowly LCAH and Hilton Silver). It would generate (from my part at least) loyalty towards a certain hotel chain and would also be a major perk for plats (or Platinum VIPs).

intuition Jul 19, 2016 3:38 am

Pure specualtion, but isn't Accor a decent guess on a potential chain? They have already done several points promotions together. Last year there was a joint Accor/Finnair event in Stockholm. So there is an interest from Accor to access AY+ members, but who knows if it is great enough for a tier giveaway program.
They would want a chain with good representation in Europe and Asia, and doesn't Accor fit that bill pretty good? Some 200 hotels in China, 100 in Thailand and so on. (Very few in Japan, but I guess they don't care about Japan anymore anyway)

kauppias Jul 19, 2016 3:43 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 26936928)
Pure specualtion, but isn't Accor a decent guess on a potential chain? They have already done several points promotions together. Last year there was a joint Accor/Finnair event in Stockholm. So there is an interest from Accor to access AY+ members, but who knows if it is great enough for a tier giveaway program.
They would want a chain with good representation in Europe and Asia, and doesn't Accor fit that bill pretty good? Some 200 hotels in China, 100 in Thailand and so on. (Very few in Japan, but I guess they don't care about Japan anymore anyway)

Accor would be great! Especially since Accor fell away from Amex plat card benefits :)

Hh gold and SPG gold are both available for Amex plat but I could see Hilton gold from AY as a possibility, hilton is fairly easy with their status :)

lkrt Jul 19, 2016 4:00 am

Accor is my strong guess as well as they are pretty close with AY. It's not my dreamteam though, as Accor status has been (until now) very easy to attain and the benefits have not been very good – no complimentary breakfast, for example.

This is why I'd rather see SPG or Hilton status as a benefit.

FFlash Jul 19, 2016 10:18 am

What is then so good about Accor? During my worklife I have stayed just few times at Accor and it has always been a flop in all terms. To specify, I have stayed in Novotel, Mercure, Ibis properties mainly IIRC, not really upscale ones (what are those anyway?), and they have been really poorer than HIX,HI properties which are simple stay-and-go-and-collect-just-the-points in my books.
The bar is set really low there, I must have missed something...otherwise I just use IHG (due to redemptions), CC (for nicer properties in Europe) and Hilton (for better properties, avoiding the dumps) and Scandic/NordicChoice in Nordics. That pretty much covers my needs, while SPG are too expensive. Wonder if there is any optimization benefit in comparing IHG/Accor head to head

LoungeEnthusiast Jul 19, 2016 11:02 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 26936928)
(Very few in Japan, but I guess they don't care about Japan anymore anyway)

I think I know the reasons (joint venture etc.) for stating so, but isn't it a bit harsh... AY has, after all, increased its traffic to Japan lately and is, I believe, among top operators (if not number one) between Europe and Japan... :)

Overall, when it comes to speculating, I think you have a good point about Accor there.

niksal Jul 19, 2016 11:06 am

I got a mail some days ago saying Swissotel will become a part of Accor.

wkndtraveler Jul 19, 2016 11:07 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 26938399)
What is then so good about Accor? During my worklife I have stayed just few times at Accor and it has always been a flop in all terms. To specify, I have stayed in Novotel, Ibis properties mainly IIRC, not really upscale ones (what are those anyway?), and they have been really poorer than HIX,HI properties which are simple stay-and-go-and-collect-just-the-points in my books.

As a regular Accor guest I can tell you that I'm very satisfied with the chain. But then, I mostly stay at their upscale brands, mainly Sofitel. Another upscale brand in their portfolio is Pullman and the latest adds are The Raffles, Fairmont, and Swissotel. For example, as a Platinum member, I get early check-in and late check-out, room upgrade, lounge access with breakfast, afternoon tea and evening snacks (if excisting), welcome drink while waiting for the room, separate drink vouchers, and gift (which is usually a bottle of wine, fruits, chocolates and or some other delicacies in room).

intuition Jul 19, 2016 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast (Post 26938667)
I think I know the reasons (joint venture etc.) for stating so, but isn't it a bit harsh... AY has, after all, increased its traffic to Japan lately and is, I believe, among top operators (if not number one) between Europe and Japan... :)

Overall, when it comes to speculating, I think you have a good point about Accor there.

Well, I guess I am a bit known for being harsh once I've made up my mind about something ;)

You are right, my logic here would be that Japan now is a independent hedged profit center. They took their most valuable part of the business and let BA control it, in exchange for risk minimization and a more stable cash flow.

IMHO they are not vested in Japan like before. They are now earning x MEUR a year on the JV, and it doesn't really matter if they make this yield from aircraft operations or from betting on horses on the race track. As long as the money keeps coming in at a steady pace to pay for the new aircraft leases.

Before, I guess it would have been strange to partner with a hotel chain that didn't have hotels in AY's single largest LH market. Now, I reason, it has no bearing on the decision at all.

Infact, it would be stupid for AY to make any investments in marketing or such to increase the Japan market - they would bear 100% of the cost, but only get part of the profits (35% or whatever).

FFlash Jul 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler (Post 26938699)
As a regular Accor guest I can tell you that I'm very satisfied with the chain. But then, I mostly stay at their upscale brands, mainly Sofitel. Another upscale brand in their portfolio is Pullman and the latest adds are The Raffles, Fairmont, and Swissotel. For example, as a Platinum member, I get early check-in and late check-out, room upgrade, lounge access with breakfast, afternoon tea and evening snacks (if excisting), welcome drink while waiting for the room, separate drink vouchers, and gift (which is usually a bottle of wine, fruits, chocolates and or some other delicacies in room).

Sounds good. But also pricey, say, above >200€ landmark which my company neither my own pocket can afford :(
well, for A-class travel out of own pocket YES sometimes, but not as regular...

wkndtraveler Jul 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 26939053)
Sounds good. But also pricey, say, above >200€ landmark which my company neither my own pocket can afford :(
well, for A-class travel out of own pocket YES sometimes, but not as regular...

Well yeah, that's why I'm penniless (but not "pointless") all the time. :)

I try to find good deals. For next month I have a two-nights Sofitel stay booked at around 100€/night including breakfast.

FFlash Jul 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler (Post 26939106)
Well yeah, that's why I'm penniless (but not "pointless") all the time. :)

I try to find good deals. For next month I have a two-nights Sofitel stay booked at around 100€/night including breakfast.

Pointless...that was good one :)

100€ is what I target usually but never over 200... only once I was about to book a 300$ in Sofitel Rio but finally my Scottish side won :( and I ended in a bug bunk somewhere near Copacabana :D

lkrt Jul 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Having now been loyal to Accor for the past year or so I really wouldn't want it to be the Finnair hotel partner. I have had to complain about a lot of stuff during my stays with them. On the other hand, I've been staying mostly at Ibis, Novotel and a few stays at Sofitels and Sofitel So's. I'm also not that happy with the whole program.

I'm looking for another hotel program but it really seems there's no other chain that has as good representation geographically and also would have low-end as well as high-end properties. I've been looking into SPG but they really lack at the cheaper properties.

wkndtraveler Jul 19, 2016 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by lkrt (Post 26939194)
Having now been loyal to Accor for the past year or so I really wouldn't want it to be the Finnair hotel partner. I have had to complain about a lot of stuff during my stays with them. On the other hand, I've been staying mostly at Ibis, Novotel and a few stays at Sofitels and Sofitel So's. I'm also not that happy with the whole program.

Oh, sad to hear. What kind of problems you have had?

Ibis is a budget chain so wouldn't expect much. Have used a few times. Never been to Novotel.

Accor has been very generous with the tier points. It has been easy to get status because they have had lots of points promotions and almost everything counts towards status. But this is changing now when Accor is "enhancing" its program next year. I guess I will lose my Platinum since I can't afford to maintain it without those points promotions.