Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TTL
Finnair sells "ticket types" instead of booking classes. The various ticket types can overlap in booking class, but they differ in service level and fare terms.
The ticket types are not sold on destinations covered by joint ventures, ie Japan and NA.

Economy tickets:
Light: Z, O, Q, N, S, V, L
Basic: Z, O, Q, N, S, V, L
Value: Z, O, Q, N, S, V, L, K, M
Pro: Y, B, H

[P, T, R and W Economy class fares have been removed in April 2019 in preparation for the launch of Premium Economy in 2021.]
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...-2021-a-2.html

Premium Economy (from 2021):
P, T, R, W

Business Saver: I (long-haul)
Business: J, C, D (and I for shorthaul in Europe)

Upgraded economy ticket: F (not First class, just business )
Economy award: X
Business award: U (replaces soon the F-code as upgraded economy - apparently due to OW F-tickets)

Light is a handbag-only fare, currently only offered in shorthaul operations (Europe and Middle East).
In addition to the above six fare families there is one additional ticket type called “Saver”, which contains restricted starting-from fares in the lowest booking classes in fares from Asia and North America.

For deeper insights, see this user guide link
Print Wikipost

Fare class tutorial

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Courmisch
The wiki should be updated to reflect the ongoing reincarnation of P, T, E and W or whichever they were. I could do it myself, except that, as a non-pro customer, I have not gotten the proper documentation
I have amended the wiki.

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
It seems that N is new R, i.e. the cheapest booking class. Booked LH flights for January and upgrade naturally went to waitlist, but showing booking class U
Hm, for ZRH-HEL it is Z, O and Q before N according to the fares which are loaded.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by florens
Hm, for ZRH-HEL it is Z, O and Q before N according to the fares which are loaded.
In that order? When I checked 2 days ago for flights to FRA, O was cheaper than Z.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Somebody find a Campaign fare... I guess it will be Z0LI2FI assuming Z is the cheapest booking code and FI the country code.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:48 pm

I have booked a ticket to Asia previously on R class
I would like to change the date of my flight now, and I'm not sure do I have to pay extra for "upgrading" my fare class from a non-existent R class
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Ex Marco Polo Club
Is it possible to book into a specific fare class on request (want to do this due to mileage earnings for Asia Miles)
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by acerockstar
Is it possible to book into a specific fare class on request (want to do this due to mileage earnings for Asia Miles)
Yes, if you call and are ready to pay the ticketing fee.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by ffay005
Yes, if you call and are ready to pay the ticketing fee.
Not so sure about that. Tried that with a HEL-JFK flight, where I was ready to pay for the higher booking class to get a 100% earning ticket, but CS was unable to select specific booking class. They would have been able to sell me those regular 50% tickets and the very expensive flexible 150% economy tickets. But no luck with k, p, m, t classes...
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Jainzar
In that order? When I checked 2 days ago for flights to FRA, O was cheaper than Z.
In that order, yes, according to the fares loaded in Expertflyer anyway FWIW.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Not so sure about that. Tried that with a HEL-JFK flight, where I was ready to pay for the higher booking class to get a 100% earning ticket, but CS was unable to select specific booking class. They would have been able to sell me those regular 50% tickets and the very expensive flexible 150% economy tickets. But no luck with k, p, m, t classes...
Even Expedia etc. should be able to do that if the AY Janica is clueless and doesn't know how to do it.
on22cz likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
@Steve_Hun Also Matrix with bookwithmatrix tool should let you reach any available fare. Not even needed to call anywhere.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by deissi
Even Expedia etc. should be able to do that if the AY Janica is clueless and doesn't know how to do it.
Expedia offers Value ticket on some itineraries. But I don't think it support upselling to K or M on cartel fares, or is this some new feature?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Not online (unless bookwithmatrix works with Expedia), but they should be able to do that over the phone.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Never would have thought of actually calling an online travel agency for booking a flight
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Never would have thought of actually calling an online travel agency for booking a flight
Last time I actually called Expedia to book something, the agen was simply using some version of their website to sell the ticket as he couldn't book the ticket either – nor did he see any inventory or anything
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Hi

I was just in contact with trip.com to find out which Business fare class they would book me into on Finnnair for HKG-LHR-HKG return. Am I correct that they can only book me into a Business fare class (J, C, D or I) that is shown on Cathay's app as being eligible for Asia Miles + Club Points?

Or is there some risk that they may have access to some other Business fare class that is ineligible for Cathay Club Points?

The chat support person couldn't help me unless I'd already booked it... at which point it's a bit late to find out.

Thanks for any insight. I'm not an expert on Finnair and want to accrue the points to Cathay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.