Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TTL
Finnair sells "ticket types" instead of booking classes. The various ticket types can overlap in booking class, but they differ in service level and fare terms.
The ticket types are not sold on destinations covered by joint ventures, ie Japan and NA.

Economy tickets:
Light: Z, O, Q, N, S, V, L
Basic: Z, O, Q, N, S, V, L
Value: Z, O, Q, N, S, V, L, K, M
Pro: Y, B, H

[P, T, R and W Economy class fares have been removed in April 2019 in preparation for the launch of Premium Economy in 2021.]
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...-2021-a-2.html

Premium Economy (from 2021):
P, T, R, W

Business Saver: I (long-haul)
Business: J, C, D (and I for shorthaul in Europe)

Upgraded economy ticket: F (not First class, just business )
Economy award: X
Business award: U (replaces soon the F-code as upgraded economy - apparently due to OW F-tickets)

Light is a handbag-only fare, currently only offered in shorthaul operations (Europe and Middle East).
In addition to the above six fare families there is one additional ticket type called “Saver”, which contains restricted starting-from fares in the lowest booking classes in fares from Asia and North America.

For deeper insights, see this user guide link
Print Wikipost

Fare class tutorial

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
is there any way to select a specific fare class when booking online? I see on ITA that a V fare is available, but when going through booking on finnair.com I was only able to get O or Q fares. The booking code only shows up on the last page before payment so it's a bit annoying to click different flights and go through the whole process only to see it end up the wrong fare. I want to get an economy H/K/L/M/P/V/T fare for the higher % of distance EQD earnings on AA.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Use bookwithmatrix dot com tool.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:29 pm

Why do some fare letters earn different percentages depending on whether it's AY metal or codeshare?

A: 25% (economy) on AY metal, 300% (first) on codeshare
F: Business class on AY metal but earns as economy, 300% (first) on codeshare
W: 25% on AY metal but 100% on codeshare
E: 0% on AY metal but 100% on codeshare
P: 0% (or doesn't exist?) on AY metal but 300% on codeshare

This is confusing!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
Because every airline uses their own booking classes, there are conventions around Y and J/C and F but even these are not followed through.
Like F on AY, which is purely "upgraded to business" so it earns what your origin ticket would have earned without the upgrade.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by Some person
Why do some fare letters earn different percentages depending on whether it's AY metal or codeshare?

This is confusing!
Confusing, but for good reasons. For example W is cheap economy on AY while on BA codeshare it is World Traveller Plus.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:34 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold

This is confusing!
Different airlines, simple as that. Same like a pepperoni pizza, restaurant A can charge you 8€ and restaurant B 25€.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
When you book enough on the same airline(mostly learnt hardway), it's possible to remember some of the code and its actual earnings.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Different airlines, simple as that. Same like a pepperoni pizza, restaurant A can charge you 8€ and restaurant B 25€.
I'm not aware of a restaurant which sells its own pepperoni pizzas for 8 euros and another restaurant's pepperoni (branded as the restaurant's own pepperoni pizzas) for 25 euros. Usually restaurants do not engage in this codeshare business where you put your own brand on someone else's product.
ffay005, FFlash and deissi like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:09 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

This is confusing!
Just to understand - are you taking about the marketing fare code on a AY sold ticket operated by a OW member?

Then I agree it is confusing. Because what fare code the operator puts on the flight has no meaning in OW alliance when it comes to earnings. So technically I assume AY is free so set their own fare code on their own codeshared flightnumer.

For instance, AY5483 LON-JFK operated by BA. If you buy this in FIrst cabin from Finnair you'll get a ticket with F or A code, which is ambiguous as these are already used for economy and the upgrade bucket.

Sure, BA are free to chose A and F codes for first, but as this is sold as a AY flight, AY5483, AY could easily have chosen to have their own letters on this ticket in order to not confuse the earnings table.

They could have chosen Å/Ä/Ö to mean different flavours of "First" and then added Å/Ä/Ö to the Finnair earning table to earn 300%. (AY code on flight means it is a Finnair flight regardless of who operates)

As there is no First on AY, they would only apply to codeshares, but that is no probelm at all, unless they are running out of letters. To the customers this would be much more clear and unambiguous.

Last edited by intuition; Feb 26, 2019 at 8:27 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by intuition
unless they are running out of letters.
I think they are, can't think of any letter that is not yet in use!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It certainly will be a problem when Y+ is introduced on the finnair fleet.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:22 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I'm not aware of a restaurant which sells its own pepperoni pizzas for 8 euros and another restaurant's pepperoni (branded as the restaurant's own pepperoni pizzas) for 25 euros. Usually restaurants do not engage in this codeshare business where you put your own brand on someone else's product.
Yeah ok, sorry maybe this was a very bad comparison but nevertheless there are so many different business models even inside same alliance that it would be totally impossible to align all fare classes so guess we just have to live with what we've got.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Hehehe, funny discussion starting to develop here

Next time I call on to book my flights and ask ”can I book travel extras as Onnibus-seat and Kotipizza-meal”. -no, our seats are even more cramped and pick your bag at burgerking if you are looking for codeshared services, we deliver only authentic Incredible experiences!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash
Next time I call on to book my flights and ask ”can I book travel extras as Onnibus-seat and Kotipizza-meal”. -no, our seats are even more cramped and pick your bag at burgerking if you are looking for codeshared services, we deliver only authentic Incredible experiences!
But Burger King only sells Hesburger codeshares on Kotipizza products. Was the Kotipizza pizza I want marketed as a Hesburger hamburger, or was it marketed as a Hesburger cup of coffee?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:57 pm

This is confusing!
E is industry ticket or something like that.
P exists and is 100%. Quite rare tho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.