FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairmont-fairmont-presidents-club-661/)
-   -   Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Fairmont Group? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairmont-fairmont-presidents-club/1166410-most-extraordinary-hotels-fairmont-group.html)

point bonita lighthouse Dec 31, 2010 7:13 pm

Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Fairmont Group?

In my stays at different Fairmont hotels I have found some of their hotels extraordinary with large tall ceilinged classical rooms and suites with stunning views. I would put in this category the Montreux Palace, the Banff Springs Hotel, Chateau Lake Louise, the Savoy, The Plaza

Then there are others while nice --I would subjectively put in totally different tiers.
An intermediate tier the Orchid in Hawaii (the weakness of the rooms), the Sonoma Mission Inn, San Francisco, Seattle, etc.
And finally a third tier where I would include such hotels as Newport Beach, etc.

I am extremely interested in what hotels in the Fairmont group other members feel combine extraordinary architecture, beauty and views well worth the trip?

This is an update on this thread to summarize the input from members as well as input from some veteran Fairmont President’s Club representatives. I have restricted it to a top 10 destination/hotel list and will continue to update this list as additional members input comes in. One of the attractive features of the hotels that are proximate by car is that they are conducive to a unique travel experience. In the three that have mentioned below I have anchored the group with what is perceived as the most extraordinary of the hotels. This of course is a very subjective first cut list but I would appreciate commentary on whether the hotels on this list really deserve to be on this list and in what order.

1) Banff Springs with side trip to Chateau Lake Louise and/or Jasper Park

2) London- Savoy Hotel

3) New York- The Plaza

4) Le Chateau Frontenac with side trip to Le Manoir Richelieu

5) The Montreux Palace

6) Vancouver - Pacific Rim and/or Waterfront

7) San Francisco Fairmont (tower) with side trip to Sonoma Mission Inn

8) Seattle - The Olympic

9) Shanghai - Peace Hotel

10) Hawaii - the Orchid

tcook052 Dec 31, 2010 7:40 pm

Fairmont Le Château Frontenac. Do I really need say more?

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/medi...-city_6289.jpg

Ancien Maestro Jan 1, 2011 1:10 pm

Banff Springs is one of my favorite. The New Savoy is nice as well. The Orchid used to be a Ritz Carlton.. I personally would rate Orchid and Kea Lani in the first tier.. IMHO. Orchid, Kea Lani, and Seattle (used to be a Four Seasons) while not as architecturally old world refined, are world class hotels.

point bonita lighthouse Jan 1, 2011 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 15558490)
Fairmont Le Château Frontenac. Do I really need say more?

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/medi...-city_6289.jpg

Thanks tcook,
Are there particular times in the year that you would travel? e.g. Fall when the leaves turn, an annual event in the area?

tcook052 Jan 1, 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by point bonita lighthouse (Post 15563111)
Thanks tcook,
Are there particular times in the year that you would travel? e.g. Fall when the leaves turn, an annual event in the area?

I'd say the area is so photogenic year round but Autumn/Fall even slightly moreso when the colours are so vibrant as well as winter with the Quebec Winter Carnival with the ever popular mascot Monsieur Bonhomme.

PS The historic district of Quebec City is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

:)

Jasper2009 Jan 1, 2011 7:26 pm

The top Fairmont hotels IMO are Banff Springs, Lake Louise, JPL, Fairmont Seattle and the Pacific Rim.

The problem with most historic Fairmont hotels (SFO, Edmonton, Vancouver downtown, Boston Copley Sq.) is that they offer great views and a fantastic location, but the rooms are not that fantastic, to be fair it´s hard to update the bathroom iif the architect allocated 50sq.ft. for it, also some properties are just too large to offer 5* personalized service. The Gold Floors are these properties are fantastic, however.

tcook052 Jan 1, 2011 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 15563473)
The top Fairmont hotels IMO are Banff Springs, Lake Louise, JPL, Fairmont Seattle and the Pacific Rim.

The problem with most historic Fairmont hotels (SFO, Edmonton, Vancouver downtown, Boston Copley Sq.) is that they offer great views and a fantastic location, but the rooms are not that fantastic

FWIW IMHO I didn't find the room I was in at the Fairmont Olympic Seattle all that fantastic as the sofa was on the old & worn side and needed updating. And this wasn't some run of the mill Fairmont room it was an executive king suite.

The other two proerties I could nominate but sorry as much as I like the Olympic to me it really belongs in the list of historic hotels you mentioned as having room issues. And I hope that doesn't sidetrack from OP's intent with this thread, just adding my two cents.

Ancien Maestro Jan 2, 2011 9:19 am

CLL doesn't have the amenities that BSH offers.. when it comes to rooms, BSH definitely has the repertoire compared to other properties such as Le Chateau Frontenac, CLL, JPL, Hotel MacDonald, Paliser, Empress, etc. I like the Mac, Empress, Whistler (should be on the elite list, not to extent of BSH).. once you've tasted BSH, nothing else compares to it, except a different type of scenary i.e. ORC, or KEA. Turnberry is actually pretty nice, and I've heard that the new Mayakoba is a force to contend with as well.

Let's not forget the Fairmont Vancouver Airport, in the shadows of the Pacific Rim.

Shenanigans Jan 2, 2011 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 15565763)
Let's not forget the Fairmont Vancouver Airport, in the shadows of the Pacific Rim.

That would be one mighty big shadow, AM. ;)

Did you mean the Hotel Vancouver?

MSPeconomist Jan 2, 2011 10:18 am

Clearly Lake Louise, Quebec City, Olympic Seattle, but what's missing from the list is the Peace Hotel in Shanghai, although it has it's problems with small rooms and service.

mars1982 Jan 2, 2011 8:02 pm

I stayed at the Savoy recently and it was truly stunning after the major renovation.

Ancien Maestro Jan 2, 2011 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Shenanigans (Post 15565819)
That would be one mighty big shadow, AM. ;)

Did you mean the Hotel Vancouver?

I meant the Pacific Rim.. If you like the Pac Rim, you'll like Vancouver Airport, as the rooms are fully automated, in a contemporary feel. Vancouver Airport was one of Fairmont's premier leading edge technology hotels before Pac Rim came along.. Vancouver Airport is available for a fraction of the price too.^

CdnFlier Jan 3, 2011 12:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 15566074)
Clearly Lake Louise, Quebec City, Olympic Seattle, but what's missing from the list is the Peace Hotel in Shanghai, although it has it's problems with small rooms and service.

The Peace Hotel is quite a nice property - I'd have to agree that the service needs work though! Otherwise, it's a beautiful non-North American property to have on this list..

Ancien Maestro Jan 3, 2011 7:22 am

While on the topic, we've got a few gems from Africa as well..

http://www.fairmont.com/EN_FA/Articl...gworldbest.htm

Notably.. #3 resort total in the world.. will have to put my reading glasses on a bit later.

Top Golf Resorts..

http://www.fairmont.com/EN_FA/Articl...deNast2010.htm

Top Fairmont Resorts..

http://www.fairmont.com/en_fa/articl...orldselite.htm

My beloved Fairmont Orchid I guess has won many accolades..

http://www.fairmontmeetings.com/orchid/property_03.html

My beloved Fairmont Kea Lani.. list of accolades

http://www.fairmontmeetings.com/keal...operty_03.html

More articles can be found in the Fairmont website..

tcook052 Jan 3, 2011 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 15571546)
More articles can be found in the Fairmont website..

Unsurprisingly however OP asked for our input about what we feel are top Fairmont hotels, not the Fairmont marketing department's input.

Ancien Maestro Jan 3, 2011 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 15572496)
Unsurprisingly however OP asked for our input about what we feel are top Fairmont hotels, not the Fairmont marketing department's input.

The title is asking which Fairmont Hotels are most extraordinary.. Although these articles are in the archives.. it serves as a references to third party sources that are useful. As our experience demonstrates, including your recent experience at Fairmont Olympic Seattle, we tend to have our one offs that may skew the opinion of the batch. When third party references scope, researches, and sometimes interviews guest to collect their data, it serves as a useful scope in comparison to other hotel chains, and hotels within other chains.. and where Fairmont hotels rank within professional standards.

bsaced Jan 4, 2011 7:39 am

I stayed at both the Fairmont zimbali lodge and the zimbali resort in SA during the World Cup last July. They were still constructing the resort while I was there (I think I was technically their first ever guest haha) and while it had beautiful modern rooms and restaurants it lacked all of the character that the lodge had in my opinion. I'd have to put the Zimbali lodge as one of the nicest hotels of all the fairmonts I've stayed with.

kokinos Jan 4, 2011 7:07 pm

Mecca when it opens! That whole complex may look like it belongs in Vegas but it must be one crazy site to see I won't ever get the experience too.

tcook052 Jan 4, 2011 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 15577375)
The title is asking which Fairmont Hotels are most extraordinary.

The title perhaps but the the OP specifically said: (my bold)

I am extremely interested in what hotels in the Fairmont group other members feel combine extraordinary architecture, beauty and views well worth the trip?
That's other members as in other FTers, not what Fairmont's PR department has to say.

And for that matter it isn't even a "third" party as it's only us and Fairmont which is only two parties so please don't try and angle it like Fairmont is some independent and impartial "third" party like JD Power.

Ancien Maestro Jan 6, 2011 12:25 pm

tcook052.. we'll have to agree to disagree on this one I guess. I read it "other members" in terms of FPCers.. no where does it say FTers.. and based on the surveys sent out to FPCers through internal surveys JD Powers & Associates, information is collected.. hotels are evaluated.. and awards/evaluations are given out based on results.

Your experiences at Fairmonts are somewhat skewed, as you're a travel agent visiting on travel agent rates.. The service you receive is a promotional one, but you miss out on parts of the FPC program that would have enhanced your experience..

tcook052 Jan 6, 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 15597583)
tcook052.. we'll have to agree to disagree on this one I guess. I read it "other members" in terms of FPCers.. no where does it say FTers.. and based on the surveys sent out to FPCers through internal surveys JD Powers & Associates, information is collected.. hotels are evaluated.. and awards/evaluations are given out based on results.

We can gladly disagree as I believe OP wanted some input what we, meaning other members of FT, thought were extraordinary hotels within the Fairmont chain, not what some marketing hype Fairmont may have linked to their website.

Your experiences at Fairmonts are somewhat skewed, as you're a travel agent visiting on travel agent rates.. The service you receive is a promotional one, but you miss out on parts of the FPC program that would have enhanced your experience..
I may not get nightly stay elite credit but that definately doesn't impact the quality delivered, or not as the case may be, in terms of the room or customer service. If I opt to pay more for an executive king suite and it has an old, worn and nonfunctioning sofa bed that's what I resport back about my stay as I call it like I see it. I don't presume to say that's the standard everyone will get, merely what my experience was. Of course when I get oustanding service and memorable rooms I note that as well so like to think I'm a balanced judge of the product.

Ancien Maestro Jan 6, 2011 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 15601304)
I may not get nightly stay elite credit but that definately doesn't impact the quality delivered, or not as the case may be, in terms of the room or customer service. If I opt to pay more for an executive king suite and it has an old, worn and nonfunctioning sofa bed that's what I resport back about my stay as I call it like I see it. I don't presume to say that's the standard everyone will get, merely what my experience was. Of course when I get oustanding service and memorable rooms I note that as well so like to think I'm a balanced judge of the product.

Hence the point.. sometimes hotels just provide you what you paid for.. even at Travel Agent rates.. yes it may be in that category, but will you receive the renovated room that a platinum member would? or would you receive the upgraded specialty suite that an elite member would? Apples and oranges.. if you walk in paying travel agent rates, you are most likely going to miss out on the enhancements FPCers.. and those who are on this forum.. FTers.. have come to enjoy.

tcook052 Jan 6, 2011 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 15601965)
Hence the point.. sometimes hotels just provide you what you paid for.. even at Travel Agent rates.. yes it may be in that category, but will you receive the renovated room that a platinum member would? or would you receive the upgraded specialty suite that an elite member would? Apples and oranges.. if you walk in paying travel agent rates, you are most likely going to miss out on the enhancements FPCers.. and those who are on this forum.. FTers.. have come to enjoy.

Huh? Fairmont give TA's the same rooms it sells to the public gets and to suggest otherwise is flat out wrong. In fact, I did get upgraded once to a spectacular corner room at the Waterfront while staying at a TA rate so your pet theory is plain loudicrous.

But that is massively beside the point as the topic of this thread isn't about either your pet theories or TA's or myself but rather what other FTers think are noteworthy Fairmont hotels so please drop the ramblings and off topic musings and let the conversation return to what was intended.

Ancien Maestro Jan 6, 2011 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 15602023)
Huh? Fairmont give TA's the same rooms it sells to the public gets and to suggest otherwise is flat out wrong. In fact, I did get upgraded once to a spectacular corner room at the Waterfront while staying at a TA rate so your pet theory is plain loudicrous.

But that is massively beside the point as the topic of this thread isn't about either your pet theories or TA's or myself but rather what other FTers think are noteworthy Fairmont hotels so please drop the ramblings and off topic musings and let the conversation return to what was intended.

Your phrase "huh?" about sums it up.. and if you think getting a signature room upgrade at the water front is spectacular.. has only nailed the topic on the head. You don't receive the service because you're getting a TA rate.. and your opinion is one off compared to what others are receiving based on public, or members of FPC.. sure they may try to impress you with a "spectacular" signature room upgrade.. hence you've missed the whole point of the loyalty program that FPC provides for its most loyal customers, because you've never received a taste of it.

You see, just like yourself, I once considered becoming a travel agent to take advantage of the rates you currently enjoy. I chose to go the retail route because of the service I receive retail.. For example, getting a 1,200 sq ft spa suite with a 600 sq ft concrete balcony at the Banff Springs, a 1,800 sq presidential suite at Whistler, a 1,577 sq ft ocean front suite at Fairmont Orchid, a 1,300 sq ft Apartment Suite at Fairmont Turnberry (a hotel you just recently visited). These are the one off upgrades that are provided to Platinum Members.. and I can confirm that Spring Break, I've got guaranteed booked the 1,577 sq ft ocean front suite at Fairmont Orchid, and an Ocean View suite at the Kea Lani. Jasper2009 just got a guaranteed Presidential Suite upgrade in Singapore.. and the rates we pay are base Fairmont Room prices, often Friends and Family.

I would suggest maybe you dropping the TA role, and try the retail route as Platinum Member.. and see for yourself the service enhancements one could receive with the FPC program.

Jasper2009 Jan 7, 2011 2:20 am

Not quite sure what the point of this discussion is. Both TA rates and regular rates have their benefits.

TA rates can be VERY low, even lower than FAF rates. I´m not too familiar with the Fairmont TA rates, but I know a few TAs who have received discounts of up to 80% at various (non-Fairmont) luxury resorts, and some hotels do go out of their way to treat TAs well (free dinner, upgrades etc.), just have a look at various reports of some Virtuoso TAs in the luxury forum, of course it´s only a very small sample size, but it surely isn´t black and white.

If tcook052 is happy with the value he´s getting with the TA rates, that´s great, I don´t see any reason to "convert" him to start booking other rates, I´m sure he´s clever enough to figure out what rate works best for him.

tcook052 Jan 7, 2011 8:08 am

Thanks Jasper2009 and I'm fully in agreement as I too am unsure what the point of the discussion is any more other than Ancien has totally derailed what OP intended, which for the umpeenth time is what us FT members feel are extraordinary hotels in the Fairmont group. Hopefully we can get back to that discussion.

Ancien Maestro Jan 7, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm not here to convert anyone.. funny pblh has pm'ed me multiple times within this discussion..

The point is a TA vs. general public, vs. Staff, vs. FPC vs. FPC elite members will all have differing viewpoints based on background, rates received, specific hotel treatment, etc. This is very relevant to getting skewed one off viewpoints. My point with Tcook052 who had a one off experience with the Olympic is that he paid a TA rate, and the hotel decided to assign a subpar room.. is that his stay could have been enhanced as an elite FPC member, receiving the benefits of service and upgrades.. that could have changed his overall experience.

Ancien Maestro Jan 7, 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 15603746)
Thanks Jasper2009 and I'm fully in agreement as I too am unsure what the point of the discussion is any more other than Ancien has totally derailed what OP intended, which for the umpeenth time is what us FT members feel are extraordinary hotels in the Fairmont group. Hopefully we can get back to that discussion.

Your interpretation of continued discussion is clear. We agreed to disagree, as I feel relevant to include 3rd party entities/publications in this threads discussion. I have been in contact with OP and there has been no objection to the direction of where this thread is taking.

tcook052 Jan 7, 2011 10:15 pm

So an extraordinary hotel has a subpar room? That's quite the admission and hardly makes it a one off if others are staying in that same room. :D

point bonita lighthouse Jan 8, 2011 12:02 am

I am grateful to everyone contributing to this thread and would greatly appreciate additional ideas on this topic.

In my business career I have had the fortune of staying in innumerable five star hotels in business capitols around the world. While extremely pleasant and often providing strong service I have no strong desire to return to them for personal travel.

On occasion I have encountered hotels that are exceptional with a classical elegance, tall ceilings, interesting history and breathtaking views. The Fairmont group has a number of them in its portfolio and I started this thread because I wanted to plan trips with my wife to enjoy them.

IMHO strong examples of these types of hotels are Banff Springs, Montreux Palace, the Plaza and the Savoy. Chateau Lake Louise is not far behind.

Given the earlier recommendation in this thread by tcook I am planning a trip during the fall colors to Le Chateau Frontenac and some smaller Inns in New England.

As Ancien is aware I am also planning a trip to Banff and Lake Louise in a month.

While many of the other hotels that I have actually travelled to in the group are extremely nice I personally do not find that they reach that level.

IMHO their Hawaiian hotels are in this category. The rooms and the views are exceeded by other more distinctive hotels. The same with some of their city hotels.

it is a very subjective matter and I appreciate the perspectives of all FT members each from their own unique experience. As you can see from my list it ranges from city to near wilderness hotels. They can be historic or brand new. I hope we can use this thread to cull out the very most distinctive hotels in their portfolio around the world that are well worth a special personal trip.

Jasper2009 Jan 8, 2011 1:16 am

If you´re planning to go to the Canadian Rockies, I´d also recommend staying at Jasper Park Lodge, it really is a unique lodging experience IMO. It may not be as luxurious as some other Fairmonts, but I always found the privacy amazing, e.g. having breakfast on the balcony overlooking the lake, mountains etc.

I´m also a big fan of the Empress, very classic hotel, great location and exceptional staff.

Ancien Maestro Jan 8, 2011 10:45 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 15609340)
So an extraordinary hotel has a subpar room? That's quite the admission and hardly makes it a one off if others are staying in that same room. :D

You should try one of BSH's 'moderate' rooms.. smaller than a Fairmont room.. could you imagine? Its' the Travel Agent rate you're on.. Maybe to get better service, on the reservation details, tell them that there has been a bunch of requests from you customers' regarding how the suites are like in the hotel (tongue in cheek of course).. Request best suite available so you may communicate your experience to your customers.. It gives the hotel a reason to try and impress you.:cool: Enjoy your next suite.

Ancien Maestro Jan 8, 2011 10:58 am

Originally Posted by point bonita lighthouse (Post 15609724)
I am grateful to everyone contributing to this thread and would greatly appreciate additional ideas on this topic.

In my business career I have had the fortune of staying in innumerable five star hotels in business capitols around the world. While extremely pleasant and often providing strong service I have no strong desire to return to them for personal travel.

On occasion I have encountered hotels that are exceptional with a classical elegance, tall ceilings, interesting history and breathtaking views. The Fairmont group has a number of them in its portfolio and I started this thread because I wanted to plan trips with my wife to enjoy them.

IMHO strong examples of these types of hotels are Banff Springs, Montreux Palace, the Plaza and the Savoy. Chateau Lake Louise is not far behind.

Given the earlier recommendation in this thread by tcook I am planning a trip during the fall colors to Le Chateau Frontenac and some smaller Inns in New England.

As Ancien is aware I am also planning a trip to Banff and Lake Louise in a month.

While many of the other hotels that I have actually travelled to in the group are extremely nice I personally do not find that they reach that level.

IMHO their Hawaiian hotels are in this category. The rooms and the views are exceeded by other more distinctive hotels. The same with some of their city hotels.

it is a very subjective matter and I appreciate the perspectives of all FT members each from their own unique experience. As you can see from my list it ranges from city to near wilderness hotels. They can be historic or brand new. I hope we can use this thread to cull out the very most distinctive hotels in their portfolio around the world that are well worth a special personal trip.

Per your PM.. I've sent you my personal concierge info in case you want to guarantee the spa suite at Banff Springs Hotel.. I've arranged for any Premier or Platinum Member who wants to guarantee the spa suite, it's $100 per night with suite cert upgrade use.. so PM me for the info.

Sort of know what direction you're going now.. Regarding the Hawaii properties, Kea Lani was built on land lease, so they've built a hotel designed to be torn down. The location is excellent, but the hotel is a nice plain white. So I'm thinking you would prefer properties such as the Grand Wailea or the neighboring Four Seasons. The Orchid is one of the top architecturally featured hotels in all of the Islands.. The construction is remarkable, down to detailed raised panel wainscotting even in the exercise room.. and if you've ever checked their public washroom, the walls and floor is covered in complete marble.. even the toilet stalls and doors are covered in wood and complete marble.. Ritz Carlton built it twenty years ago. So if you don't like the Orchid, there really isn't much more out there in Hawaii. My guess, is you would probably like the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, where its an older hotel built in eastern tradition by Rockefeller. Its' more contemporary eastern, has the buddhist middle east feel.

Banff Springs Hotel is the ultimate there is.. Chateau Frontenac is very nice architecturally, but does not have the room and room size repertoire of BSH.. nor a spa. So if you like this type of hotel, they are generally referred to as Legacy.. Hotels like the Empress, Hotel Mac Donald, Palliser (although no view), Chataeu Laurier.. are examples of inklings of BSH. In your travels try them out if you're in the area.. I don't know if making a special trip is warranted though. FTers from YEG like Jasper Park Lodge.. almosts swears by it. I've been there, and the cabins look like it could use some work outside, and has outdoorsy feel to it. I like it, don't mind it.. but nothing like the Springs. CLL looks like a box, but the lake is where its' at.

The following is a list of top Fairmonts from Conde Naste Traveller..

•Top Canada Resorts - Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu, Charlevoix; The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise; The Fairmont Chateau Whistler; The Fairmont Banff Springs; Fairmont Le Château Frontenac, Quebec City; The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge; Fairmont Le Château Montebello
•Top Canada Hotels – The Fairmont Vancouver Airport; The Fairmont Waterfront, Vancouver; The Fairmont Empress, Victoria; The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver; Fairmont Château Laurier, Ottawa; The Fairmont Hotel MacDonald, Edmonton
•Top United States Hotels – The Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Seattle
•Top U.S. Mainland Large Resorts – Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
•Top Hawaii Resorts – The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui; The Fairmont Orchid
•Top Atlantic Ocean Resorts – The Fairmont Southampton
•Top Mexico Resorts - Fairmont Mayakoba, Riviera Maya
•Top Caribbean Resorts – The Fairmont Royal Pavilion
•Top Northern Europe Hotels - Fairmont Le Montreux Palace; Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, Hamburg
•Top Africa Resorts - Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club; Fairmont Mara Safari Club

Where you're living for a short trip.. I would try Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, Fairmont San Francisco (just did a reno I think 8 years ago).. check out the layout of others i.e. Mayakoba, Royal Pavilion, etc.. see if any of those hotels fit your criteria of a great hotel you need to check out.

point bonita lighthouse Jan 8, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks. I do not wish to move to far off topic but examples of extraordinary hotels in Hawaii IMHO would be the St Regis Princeville recently renovated with stunning views of Hannalei Bay and the Napali coast, the recently renovated Mauna Kea with it's extraordinary architecture, artwork, beaches and ocean view. Though behind these two I even like the Grand Hyatt Kauaii which was beautifully designed and terraced.

I may have been in the wrong suite in the Orchid but I found the actual rooms a bit outdated, with stale ventilation. You are right the hotel has some very attractive details, waterfalls, etc. but like some of the other Maui hotels you mentioned, IMHO while those features make for a very pleasant stay they do not rise to an extraordinary hotel. I realize this is very subjective and others prefer extraordinary pampering and service to views and natural beauty.

My experience is there are some hotels while extremely well appointed with excellent service you could basically be in any warm climate or any city and not know the difference. I really have come to appreciate those hotels where you know you are in Hawaii, London, the Canadian Rockies, etc. from the view from your hotel room.

Ancien Maestro Jan 8, 2011 1:23 pm

The Orchid South Tower is to be avoided.. the 5th floor houses smokers. The North Tower all rooms back onto the view of the courtyards, spa without walls, and the golf courses. Being Platinum, we use our suite upgrades here, because you get a 1,050 sq ft suite at minimum. So if you book garden view room, then you get the garden view suite that is twice as big as the room itself.. and here is the secret.. All of the suites in the hotel.. yes every suite, is at most 4 regular rooms away from the ocean front. ;) Even the Garden View Suites.. So if you book a garden view room, you will be backing on greenery near the front side of the hotel.. do the suite upgrade, you'll be tasting salt water with every breath.

My wife and I have visited the Mauna Kea on many of occasion.. there is the Clambake on Saturday nights.. very popular there.. at $82 per adult.. all you can eat lobsters. Sunday Brunch is our favorite at the Mauna Kea. My preference is the Surf, Sand and Stars at Four Seasons on Saturday nights.. all you can eat lobster, however smaller, but the sushi, sashimi, seafood, steaks, ribs, etc.. as well as the service is second to none.

We are not Mauna Kea fans, but do see why many stay there. Actually we can't stand the hotel, but the beaches are natural and beautiful.. the only natural beach on the Kohala coast.. all other beachs are man made and the sand is trucked in, including the Four Seasons Hualalai.. We probably like the Four Seasons the best.. but being loyal to Fairmont, wherever we travel, our bucks seems to stretch with FPC.

Mind me asking? PBLH.. What room and what part of the hotel did you stay in at the Orchid?

Shenanigans Jan 9, 2011 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 15612032)
I've arranged for any Premier or Platinum Member who wants to guarantee the spa suite, it's $100 per night with suite cert upgrade use..

Forgive my ignorance, please, but what and where is a spa suite and what makes it worth an extra $100 per night?

As noted previously, I have a honeymoon suite booked for February using F&F and a suite upgrade. Would/should I be considering the deal you're suggesting? I guess it depends on the answer to the question in the first paragraph....

Edit: I've also seen you mention upgrades, I think, for Escape to Willow Stream. How does that work and is that an upgrade that one can add?

Ancien Maestro Jan 9, 2011 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Shenanigans (Post 15621563)
Forgive my ignorance, please, but what and where is a spa suite and what makes it worth an extra $100 per night?

As noted previously, I have a honeymoon suite booked for February using F&F and a suite upgrade. Would/should I be considering the deal you're suggesting? I guess it depends on the answer to the question in the first paragraph....

Edit: I've also seen you mention upgrades, I think, for Escape to Willow Stream. How does that work and is that an upgrade that one can add?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...springs-4.html

Read post #46 on for some discussion..

Spa Suite is a one bedroom, living room, dining room combination suite.. features 1,000+ sq ft of architectural beauty including an ensuite about the size of a Fairmont room, a fireplace built with rundle that is higher end than the fireplace in the actual private spa area, the dining room is housed under a turret.. and features one of only two suites (both spa suites) that actually has a private concrete balcony that has patio furniture overlooking the Bow and Spray Valleys. 1051.. Kim Basinger, Michael Douglas, etc has rumored to have stayed in this fabulous suite. Not to mention a second bathroom.

btw.. last time in 1051, I noticed they renoed the original marble out and installed light textured tile.

will5404 Jan 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 15563473)

The problem with most historic Fairmont hotels (SFO, Edmonton, Vancouver downtown, Boston Copley Sq.) is that they offer great views and a fantastic location, but the rooms are not that fantastic, to be fair it´s hard to update the bathroom iif the architect allocated 50sq.ft. for it, also some properties are just too large to offer 5* personalized service. The Gold Floors are these properties are fantastic, however.

I find the tower rooms very nice at the Fairmont San Francisco. The main building rooms are much less desirable however. As a Premier I always seem to get a Tower room at the Fairmont San Francisco ^

I'll add CLL to the list of properties without fantastic rooms, basic rooms at ~200 sqft with 2 beds are rather tiny.

Ancien Maestro Jan 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by will5404 (Post 15660571)
I find the tower rooms very nice at the Fairmont San Francisco. The main building rooms are much less desirable however. As a Premier I always seem to get a Tower room at the Fairmont San Francisco ^

I'll add CLL to the list of properties without fantastic rooms, basic rooms at ~200 sqft with 2 beds are rather tiny.

Tower suites at Fairmont San Francisco is 5*. CLL IMHO is a box.. nice lake.. I prefer lake to valley views.. but I'll take BSH anyday over CLL.. CLL nice to visit say once a year.

point bonita lighthouse Jan 19, 2011 10:46 am

I have inserted an update summarizing the input of different members on my original post for this thread. It is a rough attempt to subjectively cull out what are perceived as the most extraordinary hotels in the group. I would greatly appreciate friendly commentary on the list and its order.