Wiki Posts
Search

Mommy Points => TPG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Mommy Points => TPG

Congrats to Mommy Points for making the leap to join the TPG network.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Congrats to Mommy Points for making the leap to join the TPG network.
Are you thinking about jumping ship too?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
As in all maturing industries, consolidation will be inevitable. Welcome to the borg and good luck Summer
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:16 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

It's actually not about making a leap or jumping ship. Summer had the opportunity to sell her website and brand to Red Ventures which owns TPG and thus her content was an acquisition to start a category that BoardingArea defined a long time ago and has been fortunate to have Mommy Points, Pizza in Motion and Points With a Crew all contribute to the category.

We could not be happier for Summer—a class act by all definitions. Starting a blog is a bit like being an entrepreneur and there's nothing quite like being able to provide for your family and future with a transaction like this. Bravo, bravo, bravo. And the best part, she won't change as it's all about her readers and her information she loves to share.

Originally Posted by JetAway
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:46 am
Community Director Emerita

It's always great to see you on your site, Randy. Classy as always with your support for Summer wherever she goes.
GUWonder, levilevi, nnn and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAway
From what to what?

Putting aside the part that no one wants to buy out my content (that I'm aware of) the two operations are VASTLY different. Boarding Area is an aggregation and ad sales network. TPG/Red Ventures is a content marketing company that operates and manages blogs.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
So, aside from blog/brand ownership - at the end of the day is she doing essentially the same blogging but now at TPG...or is there some additional role that this entails working at TPG?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by 84fiero
So, aside from blog/brand ownership - at the end of the day is she doing essentially the same blogging but now at TPG...or is there some additional role that this entails working at TPG?
Doesn't seem fully clear. She is either:

a) just contributing her own stuff and there is an editor above her who is finding other contributors and soliciting content, or

b) she is editor of the channel and she finds other contributors and oversees their content

Hope it goes well. I have never heard a bad word about Summer from anyone.
levilevi and 84fiero like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:17 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in CUZCO, PERU
Congrats to Summer on the payday! Loads and loads of hard work paying off!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
While it is laudable that a blogger managed to build a sellable business out of nothing, lets not forget what the mission of the new owners is: plug selected financial products to potential customers:

From red ventures:
Our experts at Bankrate, The Points Guy, and Reviews.com are industry-leading resources that help consumers stay informed and make better purchasing decisions.
from Bankrate:
Bankrate helps you Maximize Your Money and Master Life’s Financial Journey.
There’s a financial decision to be made at nearly every stage of life. Bankrate.com offers the expert advice and tools you need to make those decisions with confidence.
And we make it easy! Bankrate.com helps you find and compare rates on financial products like mortgages, credit cards, car loans, savings accounts, certificates of deposit, checking and ATM fees, home equity loans and banking fees.Bankrate.com also publishes original and objective content to help you make smarter financial decisions. Our award-winning reporters and editors provide expert advice on nearly every major financial decision you may encounter — from purchasing your first home, to selecting a new car, to saving for retirement.
How we make money
Bankrate.com is an independent, advertising-supported publisher and comparison service. Bankrate is compensated in exchange for featured placement of sponsored products and services, or your clicking on links posted on this website. This compensation may impact how, where and in what order products appear. Bankrate.com does not include all companies or all available products.
So its a bit of a ethical topic what is happening here. AFAIR Summer mentioned that her family had issues with debt in the past... it is sad that there are companies that exist to drive consumers into making decisions that may not be in their interest.

I suspect the demographic that reads MP is probably better off takiing a bank loan to visit Grandma in KS or do a trip to the mouse in FL instead of applying for 5 credit cards and potentially making atrocious APR interest payments because they can't pay off the required spend in time.
MEABFlyer, Adam1222 and diburning like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
While it is laudable that a blogger managed to build a sellable business out of nothing, lets not forget what the mission of the new owners is: plug selected financial products to potential customers:

From red ventures:

from Bankrate:

So its a bit of a ethical topic what is happening here. AFAIR Summer mentioned that her family had issues with debt in the past... it is sad that there are companies that exist to drive consumers into making decisions that may not be in their interest.

I suspect the demographic that reads MP is probably better off takiing a bank loan to visit Grandma in KS or do a trip to the mouse in FL instead of applying for 5 credit cards and potentially making atrocious APR interest payments because they can't pay off the required spend in time.
Possibly so, but I think the problems Summer mentioned were not strictly credit card related but instead the kind of bad investment situation that if it paid off makes a lot of money and if it doesn't, causes bankruptcy. Happy to stand corrected on this, but I don't think their personal financial problems arose over the kind of credit card debt that plagues millions.

I think she's stuck to her original aim of trying to make good travel available for families by using credit card strategies, such as taking credit cards where you just put the spend you'd do in cash on a credit card and then converting to multiple economy seats on the right routes, rather than solely "aspirational" travel. I suspect her mission no longer fit BA, which seems oriented to a younger, more single demographic, which is mostly solos trying to leverage a credit card to one single "aspirational" trip rather than the current roster at TPG, which seems to accept that there could be situations where it's smarter to spend your miles/points for four economy seats and seven nights at a Hampton Inn outside the main gate at Disney over one business class seat and five nights in the Maldives for those who travel solo. That Orlando trip could easily cost a family of four almost $4000 in airline and hotel fees that credit cards could cover with maybe four $100 annual fees--which might be waived the first year.

I know there are others at BA who have focused on family travel, but I don't think any of them have made the impression Summer has. Now, they have an opportunity.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The problem with ‘family travel’ is that it is many different things. Your issues when you have a baby are different to toddlers, 5 year olds, 7 year olds, tweens and teens. One writer can only really cover the stage where there own kids are. I have already mentally blocked out the trauma of travelling when my kids were still crawling :-)
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
...I suspect her mission no longer fit BA, which seems oriented to a younger, more single demographic,...
This is one of the funnier things I've read about Boarding Area in a long time. The suggestion that there is a single dominant demographic - other than "likes to travel" - is silly. So is the implication that one must fit a specific demographic to be part of that operation. As Randy mentioned there is a collection of family traveler blogs under the BA umbrella. Just like there are blogs focused on business travel, different geographies and other bits.

Last I checked BA had scores of sites aggregated into the network. There's no way they're all going to be the same or appeal to the same readers. You can choose to only look at a handful of the blogs and decide they represent the site overall, but that's not reality.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Hardly a BoardingArea apologist, but Boarding Area and the "TPG Network" are two vastly different things. TPG isn't even really a network, but rather a brand operated by Bankrate, a corporate entity with control of its advertorial content.
The "blog" isnt "moving" per se. Rather, its brand has been sold to a financial services marketing company, just like The Points Guy itself.
Mile Nerd had a good post https://www.milenerd.com/2018/07/thoughts/
84fiero, sbm12 and kokonutz like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in CUZCO, PERU
Originally Posted by oliver2002

From red ventures:

from Bankrate:

Summer def sold out to 'the man.' Just as other bloggers before. Just as Randy did with this place.

It will certainly change the content - that's what happens when you go from working for yourself to working for a corporate overlord. But there's no shame in an entrepreneur selling out and taking a payday. That's pretty much the dream.

Then its up to the customers to decide if they like the new corporate entity. I/we are still on FlyerTalk all these years after Randy sold out and subsequently left, after all....

Bottom line: congrats Summer and caveat emptor!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.