Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reddit - Miles & Points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I've been active on r/awardtravel for a about a year and a half now and can honestly say the last year or so has seen a lot more spoonfeeding type requests than we have ever had before. There are a few very knowledgable individuals that frequent r/awardtravel and occasionally you'll get some great information on a new tip or trick, but for the most part it's the same "I want to go to Hawaii but am too lazy to search and read the 19683543 posts in the sub that address my question" or "I've done no research on my own, but here are my point balances and the dates I want to travel so someone find award space for me". I can definitely agree with the comments that spoonfeeding requests on Reddit tend to be met with open arms whereas they aren't here on FT.

I stopped checking out r/churning because it reached a point where there really wasn't any new information and it became more so the more friendly place for n00bs to ask the same questions about Chase cards and MS. Both subs are a decent source to browse occasionally for interesting topics, but you're not getting anything groundbreaking over there.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
The impression I get is there are more noobs on r/churning and that want to be spoonfed. The noobs head to r/churning because FT isn't friendly to noobs wanting to be spoonfed. Maybe because I don't read trip reports on FT but there's people that have been churning for 2 years to finally blow their load on one trip. Totally inefficient way of using points imo. They're churning 10 cards to have 1 trip like TPG.
I resemble that remark. Last year I spent 400k AA miles (several cards' worth) on 4 business class round trips including the fabulous AA LAX-LHR new seats. Impressing your family with the value of your insanity is always a good use of points!
levilevi likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Internet Brands probably getting worried. Reddit is sucking traffic out. 50,000 subscribers already. I predict more newbie friendly rules by next year or its going to stall and turn into an expert only forum. Which wouldn't be all too bad, except someone on reddit is going to just repost the info in a newbie friendly way
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:16 pm

the reddit forums are pretty bad themselves right now. there's nothing good on the 1st page. i think it'll be like mms, good for beginners but after sometime the beginners will move on.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by skunker
There is a lot of cross-over between the the /r/churning subreddit members and the SAN based FT Facebook group.
There's a SAN based FB group? Wondering if it's invite only...I'll ask Madone59 or SanDiego1K
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:02 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Yes, we have a group that meets regularly. They are meeting next weekend, see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...th-2017-a.html

Ask SanDiego1K to put you on the SD PM list. It's an open group, and you can find threads in the CommunityBuzz forum. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Oct 30, 2016 at 8:58 pm Reason: PM list, not email list...
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
There's a SAN based FB group? Wondering if it's invite only...I'll ask Madone59 or SanDiego1K
I'm the admin for the San Diego FT Facebook group. Send me a PM with your email and I can add you.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Maybe I'm late to the game, but there are a couple of M&P related subreddits:

https://www.reddit.com/r/awardtravel

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning

I haven't really read through either of the above yet but am curious if anyone here has found them useful/reliable/timely in general? Any other subreddits that would be of interest to us?
Both churning and award travel subreddits are great. I find them to be better than what we find here these days.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Any interest in a LAX Group

Reviving an old thread, have tried on several occasions to get some type of DO set up in Los Angeles.. it has been very difficult to organize to say at least. There have been some attempts for one off meetings however they have never been well attended. Well, I take that back because if we had a guest in town or if we create a specific event on FT it didn’t go outside of the group that I personally sent a PM to or personally emailed. Perhaps we care not to gather around like mindsets and personalities in a social setting? I went to a Reddit/Facebook group this past Sunday and was amazed on the quality of the conversation. Even though it was mostly MS and churning (Im a butt in seat traveler) So anotherFlyertalker and I have thought about cross posting some type of regular meet up similar to other areas on FT happy hour groups. Perhaps once quarterly to start and more frequently if we gain traction. Any interest? If so kindly post here

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 7, 2019 at 6:00 am
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
FTers regularly meet all over the world, the regular meet ups are here: The Consolidated Do-List Thread

Not much on the west coast though.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Reviving an old thread, have tried on several occasions to get some type of DO set up in Los Angeles.. it has been very difficult to organize to say at least. There have been some attempts for one off meetings however they have never been well attended. Well, I take that back because if we had a guest in town or if we create a specific event on FT it didn’t go outside of the group that I personally sent a PM to or personally emailed. Perhaps we care not to gather around like mindsets and personalities in a social setting? I went to a Reddit/Facebook group this past Sunday and was amazed on the quality of the conversation. Even though it was mostly MS and churning (Im a butt in seat traveler) So anotherFlyertalker and I have thought about cross posting some type of regular meet up similar to other areas on FT happy hour groups. Perhaps once quarterly to start and more frequently if we gain traction. Any interest? If so kindly post here
I run the SAN Flyertalk/Reddit group on Facebook. I think the issue is that LA is so wide spread that it may be difficult to create a community. I know with San Diego most either live in north county or they live within 15 minutes of downtown. That being said it is a bit easier for people to connect with one another on where they do their churning. Most of the Flyertalk members live in north county and r/churning members are near downtown. It's great when you can get both groups together because Flyertalk members who show up typically are a generation older and have a lot of knowledge on where to travel and how to maximize miles for redemptions.

I've gotten a lukewarm reception to the idea of a San Clemente/South Orange County meet up. Feel free to PM me if you want to get something started for Orange County.

Another place you could test the waters is the FrequentMiler Facebook group. That group is fairly active.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by oliver2002
FTers regularly meet all over the world, the regular meet ups are here: The Consolidated Do-List Thread

Not much on the west coast though.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve posted all in community buzz before, the reason I’m here is for discussion.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I run the SAN Flyertalk/Reddit group on Facebook. I think the issue is that LA is so wide spread that it may be difficult to create a community. I know with San Diego most either live in north county or they live within 15 minutes of downtown. That being said it is a bit easier for people to connect with one another on where they do their churning. Most of the Flyertalk members live in north county and r/churning members are near downtown. It's great when you can get both groups together because Flyertalk members who show up typically are a generation older and have a lot of knowledge on where to travel and how to maximize miles for redemptions.

I've gotten a lukewarm reception to the idea of a San Clemente/South Orange County meet up. Feel free to PM me if you want to get something started for Orange County.

Another place you could test the waters is the FrequentMiler Facebook group. That group is fairly active.
Thanks for your! Your observations are spot on, I noticed the generational gap between the flyertalkers and the other groups as well:-)As to the geography, We think if we get four or five people on a regular basis the others will come.. I’m hopeful we can put something together because the cross groups seem quite interesting to me. Like I said I’m a BIS traveler and I even learned a few things from our counterparts

Enjoy your travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.