FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1688934-points-guy-we-never-accept-free-flights-merged-tpg-discussions.html)

BuildingMyBento Aug 13, 2019 8:30 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 31397182)

and now Flyertalk picked it up...

kpottermn Aug 21, 2019 9:14 pm

This week in major ethical lapses at TPG:

TPG republishes a story promoting Expertflyer with no disclosure that TPG/RedVentures now own (and therefore profit from) Expertflyer: https://the.pointsg.uy/VLxB6KZ

Brian Kelly admits on his podcast (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000447466275) that pressure from Marriott led them to pull the infamous “Arne Sorensen is Out to Lunch” piece criticizing the CEO’s response post-merger. Among other things, TPG says:
”It was perceived as a personal attack against Arne.”
“I made the decision because it was perceived by a lot of people at Marriott ... and we want to have good relationships in the industry, that’s how I do business.”
“We took it down because it was damaging to our relationship.”

Pushback from big companies you work with is natural when negative stories come out. The story could have been changed to soften critical tone. But holding a major travel company accountable for the promises it makes to its members is far more important than any relationship. To scrub the entire story with no notice or explanation is inexcusable.

These two instances are ethics 101, things that no half-serious media organization a fraction the size of TPG should permit.

Yet TPG and its employees continue to hold up “we pay for all our own flights” as if that’s something to brag about - he does it again in this podcast. That is the absolute bare minimum.

oliver2002 Aug 22, 2019 7:16 am

I suggest you revisit the Red Ventures site. Nothing there suggests that they have any requirements to have ethics whatsoever. They build fake sites to place brands with consumers.;)

84fiero Aug 22, 2019 10:27 am

Originally Posted by kpottermn (Post 31442406)

These two instances are ethics 101, things that no half-serious media organization a fraction the size of TPG should permit.

They're a shill-crazy sales site that tries to masquerade as a media entity. Not that it excuses their lack of any ethics of course. It's a pity so many out there fall for their charade and think they actually provide good, sound advice.

diburning Aug 22, 2019 4:11 pm

It's a pity that there are so many out there that fall for them lying about being media

TBD Aug 24, 2019 7:39 am

What kind of junk is this? Statements are incoherent and illogical. TPG / AA are boasting of how much better PHL is than NYC airports, but the same article demonstrates that PHL doesn't actually compete with NYC. Did this Raja person, whose statements indicate some sort of thought disorder, forget that AA also has a hub in JFK?

“We can connect 95% of the United States over Philadelphia, and [at] none of our competitors’ operations in New York or the northeast can they do anything really remotely close to that,” said Vasu Raja, vice-president of network and schedule planning at American..."

“New York is not there to go and connect the US to Europe,” said Raja. “It is there to connect New York to Europe.”

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american-philadelphia-hub-lets-us-do-things-rivals-cant/

stuck720 Aug 24, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by TBD (Post 31451622)
What kind of junk is this? Statements are incoherent and illogical. TPG / AA are boasting of how much better PHL is than NYC airports, but the same article demonstrates that PHL doesn't actually compete with NYC. Did this Raja person, whose statements indicate some sort of thought disorder, forget that AA also has a hub in JFK?

“We can connect 95% of the United States over Philadelphia, and [at] none of our competitors’ operations in New York or the northeast can they do anything really remotely close to that,” said Vasu Raja, vice-president of network and schedule planning at American..."

“New York is not there to go and connect the US to Europe,” said Raja. “It is there to connect New York to Europe.”

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...s-rivals-cant/

I think you're misinterpreting the article - TPG isn't claiming how PHL is better (actually questions claims), and Vasu Raja isn't saying that they don't have a NYC hub. Raja is saying that NYC isn't meant to be a hub for connecting traffic to Europe & AA has been removing capacity there on routes relying on connections for some time now which absolutely sucks if you're located in NYC but want some of those routes or flexibility back. He is saying that JFK will be used for NYC origin/destination traffic to Europe, while PHL will be the focus for connecting traffic. That Raja quote comes from an AA podcast.

Edward actually debunks some of Raja's claims in that piece - I think he knows enough about the industry from his past experience where I've followed him for a while.

"What is more, said Raja, is Philadelphia costs American about four-fifths less to operate from than either of New York’s international airports.

US Department of Transportation data, however, does not back up this cost claim. "
and

But the story of American’s Philadelphia gateway may not be as straightforward as Raja’s praise would suggest. The airport is a smaller hub for the carrier today than it was for US Airways in 2013

TBD Aug 24, 2019 9:33 am

Originally Posted by stuck720 (Post 31451777)
I think you're misinterpreting the article - TPG isn't claiming how PHL is better (actually questions claims), and Vasu Raja isn't saying that they don't have a NYC hub. Raja is saying that NYC isn't meant to be a hub for connecting traffic to Europe & AA has been removing capacity there on routes relying on connections for some time now which absolutely sucks if you're located in NYC but want some of those routes or flexibility back. He is saying that JFK will be used for NYC origin/destination traffic to Europe, while PHL will be the focus for connecting traffic. That Raja quote comes from an AA podcast.

Edward actually debunks some of Raja's claims in that piece - I think he knows enough about the industry from his past experience where I've followed him for a while.

Yes, but where does that leave this article?

PHL is cheaper to operate than NYC? Duh. Just about any airport is cheaper than NYC.

NYC is for New York o&d rather than connections? Anyone who has booked a flight from elsewhere in the USA knows that you connect in PHL or CLT or MIA and not JFK.

PHL is better for connections? Well sure. We already established that NYC is not your competition. But CLT is better for AA with even lower operating costs and less airspace congestion. Same for Atlanta.

This is just obvious statements and incoherent quotes from AA.

gpapadop Aug 24, 2019 4:40 pm

Site needs filler to give some breathing room for the next "This travel rewards credit card is effing because our review says so!'. By the way, they never say "we do not review credit cards that do not pay us commissions" sad lol

no1cub17 Aug 28, 2019 3:13 pm

Did anyone else watch Brian's video TR from his MIA-GRU flight in AA F? I've never cringed so hard in my life. He thinks he's so cool and witty when in reality he's just a dork with really nothing of substance to add. Such a phony!

Adam1222 Aug 29, 2019 8:12 am

The siren song of venture capital and the destruction of independent bloggers takes another victim. RIP Drew Macomber. Travel is Not Free.

Astrophsx Aug 29, 2019 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222 (Post 31469790)
The siren song of venture capital and the destruction of independent bloggers takes another victim. RIP Drew Macomber. Travel is Not Free.

Drew is a really talented guy. Hope the best for him over at TPG.

Adam1222 Aug 29, 2019 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 31469915)
Drew is a really talented guy. Hope the best for him over at TPG.

Unfortunately, we've seen the quality of other talented peoples' work drop massively once they have quotas of garbage, promoting TPG's advertisers.
Red Ventures clearly has two goals (besides make a ton of money without regard to quality);
1- Crowd out other sources of travel/miles/points information by pumping out "content" nonstop, even if it is a monkey or a mommy simply summarizing a wikipedia page.
2- Buy out said sources and attempt to trade off any integrity/reputation they may have had.

TBD Aug 29, 2019 11:35 am

I can't believe anyone would take a job at TPG. Surely they realize that this house of cards will fold at some point and leave them with nothing.

hugolover Aug 29, 2019 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by TBD (Post 31470507)
I can't believe anyone would take a job at TPG. Surely they realize that this house of cards will fold at some point and leave them with nothing.

How do I put this delicately. It seems to me, you can only be accepted for a job at TPG if you're a (gentlemen) of a certain persuasion. As with most of the miles blogs.

Rob's HFP is basically a protected minority of the points blogging world.