Wiki Posts
Search

Eye of the Flyer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Eye of the Flyer

It seems some sort of rebranding is afoot by Chris...

https://renespoints.boardingarea.com...m=BoardingArea

This is the last ever Rene’s Points post.

In just a few hours, I flip a switch.

But don’t freak out and get all sad. (Or celebrate, hah!)

I’m not turning the switch off.

On the contrary, in fact.

I’ll turn on a brand new name and site design. (No, the site won’t be called “Chris’ Points” 🙂 )
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Wouldn't Chris have been better off starting a site from scratch and putting the money he paid Rene into promotion? It's not as if the site had a real USP. Arguably he 'bought' a Boarding Area slot but that is always in Randy's gift either way. Potentially there was a decent email list but apart from that ....?
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Maybe he goes back to deltapoints
Old Jun 30, 2021, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Raffles
Wouldn't Chris have been better off starting a site from scratch and putting the money he paid Rene into promotion? It's not as if the site had a real USP. Arguably he 'bought' a Boarding Area slot but that is always in Randy's gift either way. Potentially there was a decent email list but apart from that ....?
I also don’t get what was up with this. Maybe one of the two needed a temporary equivalent of a cash advance to finance a substantial personal purchase and the other needed an opportunity that packages what could otherwise be personal expenses into business expenses?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Rene is still part of the team. So that's enough to keep me from adding this to my blog reader.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 3:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Very strange... all the SEO joy the site may have had is pretty much gone due to the move to a new domain. It seems they also did a clean up of the stuff they migrated from the old site, which is also SEO poison.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Very strange... all the SEO joy the site may have had is pretty much gone due to the move to a new domain. It seems they also did a clean up of the stuff they migrated from the old site, which is also SEO poison.
There are different schools of thought over deleting old content. One is that, as Google will only crawl so many pages on your site each day, there is merit in deleting really old content because it focuses the crawl budget. However, my view is that whilst this may make sense if you are posting 50 articles per day, it really doesn't apply if you are posting 2-3. Personally I would be more concerned over the impact of having lots of broken links into my site from people who have quoted our old content. I also think there is merit in having old content to the extent that Google puts value on site longevity and because people DO still search for terms no longer used, like SPG points.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe he's trying to get rid of some of the negative feelings people had towards the old site and owner? I was not a fan, for sure. I doubt I'd pay attention now, but at least new readers might not find some of Rene's post and tactics so offensive if they simply can't find them.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 3:22 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
There are different schools of thought over deleting old content. One is that, as Google will only crawl so many pages on your site each day, there is merit in deleting really old content because it focuses the crawl budget. However, my view is that whilst this may make sense if you are posting 50 articles per day, it really doesn't apply if you are posting 2-3. Personally I would be more concerned over the impact of having lots of broken links into my site from people who have quoted our old content. I also think there is merit in having old content to the extent that Google puts value on site longevity and because people DO still search for terms no longer used, like SPG points.
That pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I've got a lot of old content on my site going all the way back to 2011. I've thought about deleting all the old trip reports / reviews for products that don't exist anymore, but my analytics tells me that people still search for that stuff. I'm seeing a much better bang for my buck by updating that old content (making sure it ticks all the boxes for proper SEO in 2021) rather than deleting it.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:38 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by josephstern
Maybe he's trying to get rid of some of the negative feelings people had towards the old site and owner? I was not a fan, for sure.
That seems to have been implied in the announcement. "But don’t freak out and get all sad. (Or celebrate, hah!)"

Originally Posted by SANspotter
That pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I've got a lot of old content on my site going all the way back to 2011. I've thought about deleting all the old trip reports / reviews for products that don't exist anymore, but my analytics tells me that people still search for that stuff. I'm seeing a much better bang for my buck by updating that old content (making sure it ticks all the boxes for proper SEO in 2021) rather than deleting it.
That's a smart strategy. I've been doing some A/B testing on updating old articles with edit vs. republishing and right now republishing with a current date is winning.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
blogger Speculates on Upcoming Restrictions to Sky Club Access

https://eyeoftheflyer.com/2022/07/14/expect-delta-skyclub-changes/

This article states the obvious.... that there are too many folks that have access to the clubs. And what may change in the future.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RobertS975
https://eyeoftheflyer.com/2022/07/14/expect-delta-skyclub-changes/

This article states the obvious.... that there are too many folks that have access to the clubs. And what may change in the future.
There seems to be no link.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
This seems like pure speculation, but if Delta club access is restricted to Amex Plat cardholders with the exorbitant fees that we're paying for it, I see no reason to keep the card.

We've already seen ridiculous devaluations from Amex (Priority Pass restaurants at airports) that has contributed to more crowded Centurion and Plat lounges. I'd choose a restaurant over a lounge in most instances if I was still able to.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
The fact that good old Rene seems to think Revenue Management has anything to do with setting the fees/admissions policies for Sky Clubs simply reaffirms that he has zero credibility and should be treated exactly as such.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mersk862
The fact that good old Rene seems to think Revenue Management has anything to do with setting the fees/admissions policies for Sky Clubs simply reaffirms that he has zero credibility and should be treated exactly as such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.