FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   FTEF gets 501(c)(3) approval! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1462856-ftef-gets-501-c-3-approval.html)

kokonutz Apr 29, 2013 6:44 pm

FTEF gets 501(c)(3) approval!

For those who don't know, the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation (FTEF) is the organization behind the FTUs and the Freddies, founded by a few FlyerTalkers.

I have it on excellent authority that 16 months after filing their application, the FTEF got their 501(c)(3) approval from the IRS as nonprofit charitable/educational foundation.

Congrats!!!

More details on FTEF at the Foundation Center.

sbm12 Apr 29, 2013 8:11 pm

Are you certain that FTEF is behind the Freddies? I know that the organization was behind the Frequent Traveler Awards but I do not believe they are behind the Freddies.

Markie Apr 29, 2013 11:05 pm

http://www.freddieawards.com/about.php

oliver2002 Apr 30, 2013 1:00 am

The freddies are run by a for profit LLC registered in Delaware: https://delecorp.delaware.gov/tin/GINameSearch.jsp

kokonutz Apr 30, 2013 7:20 am

All I know is what I read:

Freddie Awards To Return in 2012

Colorado Springs, CO (PRWEB) July 27, 2011 The “New” Freddies Are the Result of An Agreement Between Frequent Flyer Guru Randy Petersen and the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation. Randy Petersen, publisher of InsideFlyer magazine, and the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation (FTEF) today reached an agreement to re-launch the Freddie Awards. The “Freddies” were awarded from 1988-2009 and during that time were widely recognized by frequent flyers and travel industry executives alike as the preeminent award designed to honor frequent travel loyalty programs that offer the best value to members.

Originally introduced by Petersen in 1988, the Freddie Awards were the first to bestow honors based on loyalty program member votes. The famously obelisk shaped crystal awards, utilized by many airline and hotel programs in their advertising, were hand delivered to the recipients by Petersen himself until 1998, when the first Freddie Award ceremony was held in New York City. With hundreds of thousands of travelers participating in the balloting, the Freddes were truly the voice of the frequent traveler.

About the Freddie Awards
The original Freddie Awards were founded by frequent flyer guru Randy Petersen in 1988 as a way to give voice to the frequent traveler and to recognize the most popular travel loyalty programs. The awards, held from 1988-2009, were inspired by Sir Freddie Laker, who in 1978 was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II for his contribution to commercial aviation and the British economy. Known for his pioneering marketing ideas within the travel industry in the 1970s, Laker founded Britain's first all-jet air carrier, Laker Airways Limited. He also founded the "SKYTRAIN" service, which revolutionized the airline industry by offering no-reservation, low-cost air service. The aviation industry and the world lost a great pioneer when Sir Freddie Laker, the namesake of the Freddie Awards, died on Feb. 9, 2006.

About the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation
Founded in 2010, the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation (FTEF) represents the collaboration of travelers with a passion for loyalty programs and a desire to honor and thank the very best programs for the value that they bring to their members. The FTEF hosted the first Frequent Traveler Awards in Houston in 2010 and in New York in 2011. Over one million individuals participated in voting for the 2011 awards. In addition to collaborating with the Freddie Awards, the FTEF produces educational events for the traveling public.

oliver2002 Apr 30, 2013 7:39 am

You probably read this too: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18447363-post26.html

kokonutz Apr 30, 2013 7:46 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 20675202)

I concede to your superior link! :D^

Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post 18447363)
If you are looking for transparency, that's fine. The Freddies are organized under an LLC called the Freddie Awards LLC, owners are myself, Gary Leff, Randy Petersen, Ed Pizzarello and Nathan Rau.

In my defense, it does get tough separating the various ventures operated by those 4/5 guys, so interwoven are they!

tom911 May 3, 2013 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 20672709)
I have it on excellent authority that 16 months after filing their application, the FTEF got their 501(c)(3) approval from the IRS as nonprofit charitable/educational foundation.

Congrats!!!

In light of that, will you be buying the $2,000 Diamond membership from the foundation? Would surely be a way to show your support.

kokonutz May 4, 2013 10:06 am

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 20695191)
In light of that, will you be buying the $2,000 Diamond membership from the foundation? Would surely be a way to show your support.

Only if it comes with Global Services status as a benefit! ;)

fti May 5, 2013 7:16 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 20675202)

As koknutz said, it is hard to put it all together, especially when there is an official press release that includes FTEF in the press release about the Freddies.

oliver2002 May 5, 2013 11:05 pm

The seems to be some serious misunderstanding about 'facts' over at F2Bs MrPickles blog. ;) Get some popcorn before you read the comments!

http://first2board.com/themrpickles/...e-a-big-doodo/

kokonutz May 6, 2013 8:25 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 20703820)
The seems to be some serious misunderstanding about 'facts' over at F2Bs MrPickles blog. ;) Get some popcorn before you read the comments!

http://first2board.com/themrpickles/...e-a-big-doodo/

Fascinating.

The question is: does the desire to meet DoT private vs. public charter rules run afoul of IRS regs for non-profits. I mean, if the Red Cross was running a private airplane party charter wouldn't that raise an eyebrow or two? But then it stands to reason that the FTEF have consulted with lawyers and non-profit experts before proceeding...and maybe this is no different than the Avon 3-day walk...people get to walk and party and have fun and in the end the Avon Charity gets a ton of dough...

Anyway, here's the deets on the new FTEF membership requirements:

megado
a once-in-a-lifetime field trip for the world's ULTIMATE travel junkies.
MILEPOINT SPONSORED

Memberships, MegaDO's & MD-80's.
Thank you for being a supporter of the MegaDOs and the Milepoint community.

I would like you to be the first to let you know about some changes we're making to the structure of future MegaDOs.

The MegaDOs are currently run by the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation (FTEF), a nonprofit 501c3 organization. And for each public MegaDO we sell, there is a substantial capital cost and application cost in getting DOT approval for each event. The FTEF is a well-known, approved DOT charter operator, but the paper work costs us a lot of money every time. It also excludes us from using General Aviation terminals, which would also make things a lot easier.

In order to simplify things, we're making the charters affinity or private charters. And now that the charters will not be public, we must institute a membership requirement for all participants of the MegaDO.

So from the next MegaDO, you will have to be a member of the FTEF to participate. To be a member costs $10 a year and must be charged prior to your buying a MegaDO ticket. You can cancel the membership at any time, but you have to be a member at the time of purchasing the ticket and at the time of the charter. That’s the rules folks.

For you busy folks out there, we're also offering 3 levels of membership:

Basic membership ($10): For sale at any time.

Gold membership (40 available; $500 annual fee): This level gives you the right to buy one seat to one MegaDO event per year. (Per calendar year at time of purchase, not at the time of the event.) You will get access to the pre-sale after Diamond members. Please note that a maximum of 15 presale seats will be available for Gold members, so you might not get your first choice. You can transfer your right to purchase a ticket to another person, or may purchase the ticket for someone else.

Diamond membership (20 available; $2,000 annual fee): This level gives you the right to buy one seat (please note that class of service is not guaranteed) to all MegaDOs. (Per calendar year at time of purchase, not at the time of the event.) You will get access to the presale before every event. You can transfer your right to purchase a ticket. Diamond Members will receive a discount off the ticket price for each MegaDO.

The first event as a private charter will be held in September—The MD80 Farewell MegaDO. We only have 30 seats available exclusively to the people who get this email. The next event is the Star MegaDO5 which will go on sale late May.

As a sign up offer, the first 20 Gold and of course all Diamond members will have a guaranteed access to SMD5 which is available for presale May 10th.

To become a Gold or Diamond member, please reply to this email and I'll send you a registration link. It's a first come first serve deal, so please respond quickly if you're interested.

Thank you,
Tommy Danielsen
Frequent Traveler Education Foundation

cblaisd May 6, 2013 8:55 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 20705291)
Fascinating.

And sad on so many counts.

sbm12 May 6, 2013 9:50 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 20705291)
The question is: does the desire to meet DoT private vs. public charter rules run afoul of IRS regs for non-profits.

Why would it?

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 20705491)
And sad on so many counts.

Which part? The basic $10 membership is good for everyone involved.

kokonutz May 6, 2013 11:46 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 20705783)

Which part? The basic $10 membership is good for everyone involved.

Speaking only for myself, I agree that the $10 membership is fair.

But I think both the price as well as the limited nature of the premium memberships is going to garner criticism...and for opposite reasons.

The high price makes it look like a money grab.

The limited number makes it look like a limited, elite club...especially since the offer has only been made to certain customers rather than the public at large.

Why would it?
As I say, I am not sure it does...and I do presume that the FTEF consulted non-profit attorneys as part of their due diligence in creating this structure. But that was the subject of some discussion in the blog comments.